- The 83rd edition of the Masters tournament tees off Thursday, April 11th
- Dustin Johnson is the favorite to be the top American in the event
- Who are the best value bets available?
The best tournament in golf is finally upon us as we take a stroll down Magnolia Lane with the Masters back in our lives this week.
There are a myriad of top American golfers who could compete to win the coveted green jacket, but who among the men will be the top American this week?
2019 Top American Player Odds at The Masters
|Golfer||Top American Player Odds at 5Dimes|
*Odds taken 04/10/19. Follow the link in the table above to see all options.
Will Dustin Johnson Be the Top American?
Dustin Johnson has had strong showings in his last three Masters he competed in (he didn’t play in 2017 following an accident on some stairs), but he was not the top American in any of those events.
Dustin Johnson’s Last 5 Results at the Masters
|2017||Did Not Play (Injury)|
DJ is rolling into Augusta National with four straight top-10s in stroke play events, including a victory at the WGC-Mexico Championship.
Interesting pairing for #Masters Round one– Dustin Johnson with Bryson DeChambeau —two total opposites…
— Bob Pompeani (@KDPomp) April 10, 2019
Outside of those three top-10’s, he hasn’t fared overly well at the Masters in his five other appearances. Given that he’s the favorite at such low odds, I’d be inclined to pass on him.
Jordan Spieth Very Intriguing to Consider
While he hasn’t won since the 2017 Open Championship and he’s enduring the longest slump of his professional career, something about Augusta National brings out the best in Jordan Spieth so his odds to be the top American are juicy.
Jordan Spieth’s Career Masters Results
He has been downright dominant in his five trips to Augusta, and has been first rounder leader in three of the last four years.
He’s showing signs of breaking out of his funk, where he was in second place after two rounds at last weeks Valero Texas Open. His +825 odds present pretty good value so bet Spieth with confidence this week.
Jordan Spieth said expectations are high for him, and he feels good about his game. At least here. And why not. He's finished first, second twice, third and tied for 11th at the Masters.
— Kirk Bohls (@kbohls) April 9, 2019
2019 Masters Top American Best Value Picks
- Rickie Fowler (+800): Finished runner-up in last year’s Masters, and hasn’t missed the cut in his last 10 majors. Posted two other top-5 showings in majors in 2017. Won the Phoenix Open this year and also was runner-up at the Honda Classic.
- Brooks Koepka (+1100): Unbelievably he’s still the Rodney Dangerfield of golf. Five guys are favored over him despite Koepka winning three of his last six majors! Improved significantly in each of his three Masters appearances.
- Matt Kuchar (+2000): Incredible value here. Three career top-5 placings at the Masters. Has been on fire all season, winning twice and finishing runner-up at WGC-Dell Match Play two weeks ago along with a tie for 7th last week. Leader of FedEx Cup points list.