- Best field in years tees it up in Las Vegas
- Spieth and Fowler make their season debuts in Sin City
- The golfers with the best value to emerge victorious
Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler headline a strong group of contenders at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open which includes fellow American Ryder Cuppers Tony Finau, Webb Simpson, and Bryson DeChambeau.
This event has been a breeding ground for first-time PGA Tour winners, with three of the last four and 11 of the previous 16 champs hoisting hardware for the first time at this tournament.
Odds to Win 2018 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
|Player||Odds to Win 2018 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open at Bovada|
*Follow the link in the table to see all options
Will Spieth and Fowler contend in Las Vegas?
Jordan Spieth begins his campaign after a tumultuous season (by his lofty standards) where he did not win a single golf tournament.
Jordan Spieth’s Last Ten Tournaments
|Dell Technologies Championship||T-12|
|The Northern Trust||T-25|
|The Open Championship||T-9|
|The Memorial Tournament||CUT|
|Fort Worth Invitational||T-32|
The 11-time PGA Tour winner did not have a result better than ninth in his final 13 events to close out the season, and is playing this tourney for the first time.
— Golfweek (@golfweek) October 24, 2018
He’s capable of turning it on at any point and winning, but I’d save my cash and put it on someone else.
Rickie Fowler is a better bet to take home the title
Rickie Fowler, meanwhile, is stuck on a criminally low four PGA Tour titles. He’s had some really good season debuts the last four years, however, so expect him to be in the mix come Sunday.
Rickie Fowler’s last Four Season Debuts
|2017 OHL Classic||2|
|2016 WGC-HSBC Champions||T-6|
|2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open||T-25|
|2014 WGC-HSBC Champions||T-3|
As the betting favorite, it’s hard to put full faith in a guy that simply just doesn’t get it done as much as he should.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) October 30, 2018
Resist the urge to pull the trigger on Fowler and do the prudent thing and save some money.
First time winners Common at Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
*First career PGA Tour victory
2018 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open Best Value Picks
I expect the trend of first-time winners at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open to continue and have some intriguing names in mind.
- Beau Hossler (+3300): 54-hole co-leader at this event last year to go along with a pair of second place finishes last season. Due for breakthrough victory.
- Sam Burns (+5000): 22-year old hotshot has serious game and quietly coming off a tie for third at last weeks Sanderson Farms Championship.
- Andrew Putnam (+5000): Tied fourth last week in WGC debut. Only winner on this list having taken home the hardware at the Barracuda Championship in August.
- Corey Conners (+12500): The Canadian is fresh off his first career runner-up finish. Also was the 54-hole leader at Valspar Championship last year.