2019 MLB MVP Odds Tracker
- Mike Trout accomplished the rare feat of going wire-to-wire as AL MVP favorite in 2019
- Cody Bellinger almost did the same in the National League, as shown in the graphs below, which show how the odds shifted during the year
- See the current AL and NL MVP odds here
From Opening Day (actually earlier) until the winner was announced in November, the Los Angeles Angels’ Mike Trout was the favorite to win American League MVP. The award was the third MVP of his eight-year career.
Over in the National League, the Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger came out of the gate hot and stayed hot almost the entire season, capturing his first MVP award in just his third season in the big leagues.
The graphs below show how the odds for all of the players in contention shifted over the course of the 2019 season.
2019 American League MVP Odds
- [Oct 3] Trout remains the odds-on favorite despite missing the final portion of the season; sportsbooks are giving Bregman a fighting chance, though.
- [Sept 2] Trout is still in clear control of the award, sporting -1000 odds
- [August 23] If not for Mike Trout, Boston’s Rafael Devers would be the talk of the American League. But not even a 20-for-37 streak with 12 extra-base hits could bring him within a country mile of Trout.
- [August 2] Trout’s AL MVP odds have reached a season-best -1000; DJ LeMahieu is the closest competitor at +800 odds
- [July 9] Trout is still the odds-on favorite to win AL MVP, but JD Martinez is picking up steam. His odds have improved from +10000 to +3300 over the past seven days.
- [March 4] Mookie Betts has finished in the top six in AL MVP voting in each of the last three seasons, and finally won the award in 2018 after leading the league in batting average and slugging percentage while also supplying his regular Gold Glove-level defense in right field.
Final 2019 AL MVP Odds
|Player (Team)||2019 AL MVP Odds at BetOnline|
|Mike Trout (Angels)||-140|
|Alex Bregman (Astros)||+100|
Odds as of October 3, 2019.
Miguel Cabrera won back-to-back MVP awards in 2012 and 2013, but has seen his production drop off significantly in recent seasons due to age and injury. The 11-time All-Star posted career lows across the board in Detroit last season, managing just three homers and 22 RBIs in 38 mostly forgettable games.
2019 National League MVP Odds
- [Oct 2] A sluggish finish brought Bellinger (-200) back to the pack a little. Yelich (+175) is still considered a potential winner despite missing the last month of the year.
- [Sept 2] Bellinger’s NL MVP odds are the shortest they’ve been all season, as he’s listed at -325
- [August 23] The Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger has become even bigger chalk, thanks in part to Yelich missing big chunks for time with back problems.
- [August 2] Despite currently having more home runs as well as a better AVG, SLG, and OPS, Christian Yelich still trails Cody Bellinger in odds to win the NL MVP.
- [July 9] NL hit king Ketel Marte has most valuable player odds for the first time all season. Is he a bona fide MVP candidate at +1800?
- [March 4] The Phillies are banking on Harper rediscovering his MVP form from 2015. The Las Vegas native blasted a career-high 42 home runs that season and led the league in homers, runs, on base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, and OPS+.
Final 2019 NL MVP Odds
|Player (Team)||2019 NL MVP Odds at BetOnline|
|Cody Bellinger (Dodgers)||-200|
|Christian Yelich (Brewers)||+175|
|Anthony Rendon (Nationals)||+800|
|Ronald Acuna Jr (Braves)||+1400|
Odds as of October 2nd, 2019.
Joey Votto was the third Canadian to win a Major League MVP Award. The two previous recipients were Justin Morneau (2006) and Larry Walker (1997).