Sports betting is officially underway in the Old Line State. Maryland sportsbook apps offer sports bettors in the Old Line State an opportunity to get closer to all the action in their favorite games.
Maryland sports betting apps are now live. After a Maryland mobile sports betting update that sent all sportsbooks fully live, Marylanders can now start placing their first wagers on some of the best platforms in the industry.
With some of the best online sportsbooks like DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, and Barstool Sportsbook already approved by the MLGCA and SWARC, Maryland sports betting apps have started going online.
Home to six million people, Maryland is the last of the Mid-Atlantic states to legalize sports betting. With several major professional sports teams located in-state and many more within just a couple hours’ drive, the Old Line State is sure to be an ultra-competitive market for sports betting. Now that the NFL season is underway, you can sign up with some of these Maryland sportsbooks just in time to start betting on the Baltimore Ravens.
Let’s take a closer look at everything you need to know to start betting on sports in Maryland.
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK
BET $5 ON THE NFL & GET $200 IN BONUS BETS + UP TO $150 IN NO SWEAT BETS!
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK
BET $5 & GET $200 IN BONUS BETS!
- BET365 SPORTSBOOK
BET $1 & GET $365 IN BONUS BETS!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK
FIRST NFL BET OFFER: UP TO $1,500 PAID BACK
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK
GET UP TO $1,000 BACK - ON CAESARS!
- POINTSBET SPORTSBOOK
GET TEN 2ND CHANCE BETS UP TO $100 EACH!
Jump to: Maryland Mobile Sports Betting Overview / Best Maryland Sports Betting Apps for 2023 / When Will Online Sports Betting Be Legal in Maryland? / Latest Maryland Sports Betting News / Best Maryland Sports Betting Bonuses & Promos / Maryland Sports Betting FAQs
Best Maryland Sportsbook Apps
DraftKings has gone from daily fantasy powerhouse to one of the best options for legal US sports betting. Expect great promos and one of the smoothest betting apps out there.Promo: Bet $5 Get $200 + Up to $150 in No Sweat Bets
FanDuel has built on their daily fantasy success with a flawless betting app and excellent online sportsbook. Find a superior live betting experience and lots of features for new bettors.Promo: Bet $5 Get $200 in Bonus Bets
BetMGM brings the famed casino brand online with a top-notch betting app and online sportsbook with great odds, exciting parlays, and odds boosts.Promo: $1,500 Paid Back in Bonus Bets
Caesars brings ultimate flexibility to the world of online sports betting with tons of banking options, competitive odds on all major sports, and few restrictions when it comes to constructing parlays.Promo: $1,000 First Bet on Caesars
This Australian brand is taking the US market by storm with a new way to bet spreads, totals, and props. Try PointsBetting for something entirely new or find great odds on traditional wagers.Promo: 10 x $100 Second Chance Bets
With roots in casino gambling, BetRivers has begun their rapid expansion into sports betting and is considered one of the best sportsbooks in the market.Promo: $500 2nd Chance Free Bet
Before we get straight into the action, let’s start off with some fundamentals of legal sports betting in Maryland.
Betting Legalized: May 2021
Platforms: Retail and Online Betting
Online Betting Launch: November 23, 2022 (Full Launch)
Online Sportsbooks: BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook
Age Requirement: 21+
This page has answers to all your questions about betting on sports in Maryland.
MD sports betting apps offer fans the flexibility and convenience of placing a sports bet from anywhere at any time. Maryland regulations allow for up to 60 mobile sports betting permits, so bettors will soon have no shortage of options. NFL season has now arrived, track the latest NFL odds and use any of these sports betting sites to find the best sportsbook apps near you.
Here are the best sportsbooks that entered Maryland starting in Nov. 2022.
DraftKings Sportsbook Maryland
With one of the biggest marketing budgets of any sportsbook, DraftKings is a household name in America. The brand contributed $250,000 to the “Vote Yes on Question 2” campaign that helped sports betting gain approval from Maryland voters in the 2020 general election referendum, so you know they’ll be a major player moving forward.
DraftKings Sportsbook Maryland has an extensive array of betting options and promotions available as one of the most user-friendly sportsbooks around. It’s sure to be a favorite in the hyper-competitive new Maryland online sports betting market, especially if you can claim their limited time Bet $5, Get $150 offer. Hit the exclusive links on this page to sign-up with DraftKings Maryland.
FanDuel Sportsbook Maryland
FanDuel Maryland has one of the largest market shares of any sportsbook in the United States. The brand also spent $500,000 to help the “Vote Yes on Question 2” campaign to legalize sports betting in Maryland, so they are certainly invested in the Old Line State. FanDuel Sportsbook Maryland could be one of the biggest revenue generators in the state now that MD online sports betting has launched.
Marylanders can look forward to placing wagers on the go with one of the most visually appealing and intuitive US betting sites and apps around. Those who enjoy the fast pace of live, in-game betting will appreciate both the array of in-play wagering options and the speed and smoothness of the FanDuel app, available for Android and iOS devices through the Google Play Store and App Store.
BetMGM secured access to the Maryland online sports betting market through an official partnership with the Baltimore Ravens. Not only will MD bettors see advertisements at M&T Bank Stadium, but Ravens fans can also look forward to special odds and promotions with BetMGM Maryland. There may one day be betting kiosks within the football stadium should the building owner, MD Stadium Authority, and the NFL team apply for a license.
An additional retail location is expected to launch at MGM National Harbor Casino in Forest Heights, MD. With the BetMGM mobile app, Maryland sports bettors can enjoy a high quality and quantity of wagering options and some of the best ongoing promotions and contests in the sports betting business.
Caesars Sportsbook Maryland
Caesars is one of the biggest names in the gambling industry and is sure to be a player in the new Maryland market. Caesars Entertainment owns Horseshoe Baltimore Casino, so you can bet they’ll be launching Caesars Sportsbook Maryland quickly when sports betting goes live. In fact, they launched on Nov. 23, meaning you can claim one of their two new welcome offers now.
Caesars’ well-established reputation and integrated rewards program will make it a very attractive option for MD sports bettors who want to do at least some of their wagering in-person. Notably, Caesars is the official casino partner of the Baltimore Ravens. The brand takes a quality over quantity approach with its sportsbook, which should make it a favorite amongst Marylanders who want to cut out all the noise. Caesars Maryland promos like odds boosts and same game parlays make this one of the top choices in the American sports betting market.
PointsBet already solidified access to the Maryland mobile sports betting market via a partnership with the Riverboat on the Potomac, one of the Old Line State’s four licensed off-track betting sites. PointsBet sets itself apart with its creativity, extensive ongoing promotions, and well-priced sports odds.
The innovative brand also developed an entirely new form of wagering called PointsBetting. PointsBet has official partnerships with NBC Sports and the NHL, among others, proving their aggressive approach to expanding their footprint across the United States. With PointsBet, Marylanders can look forward to wagering with a truly unique sportsbook. The brand’s user-friendly platform is great choice for anyone placing their first bet in the Old Line State.
BetRivers is a top contender for a Maryland online sports betting license given its parent company Rush Street Interactive is one of the best in the business.
This strong integration between technology and marketing is just one of many reasons we’re confident Marylanders will enjoy BetRivers MD. The mobile-first platform also has one of the easiest online sign-up processes in the business and an extensive menu of live betting options. Best of all, the BetRivers Maryland sportsbook app even offers some awesome live streaming features.
Maryland sports betting launched at retail locations in December 2021. Maryland sports betting apps are now live with a limited number of sportsbooks including BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, and FanDuel Sportsbook.
Ten sportsbooks received MLGCA approval on Oct. 27, and SWARC met on Nov. 16 to potentially start awarding licenses to the qualified operators. Maryland online sports betting apps rolled out once SWARC started officially awarding online wagering licenses. Maryland mobile sports betting apps are legal and available right now.
Though Maryland is small, it has strong fan support for its local sports teams and is well within driving distance of many other populous states, making it a great destination for sports gambling. Although, you don’t need to travel anywhere if you’d prefer to enjoy the top Maryland sportsbook apps instead.
Here’s a recap of the latest news as sports bettors continue to enjoy mobile sportsbooks in Maryland.
- December 14, 2022: The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) has awarded sports betting licenses to two more mobile applicants in Bally Bet and WynnBET.
- December 12, 2022: Maryland reported $219,071,374 in total wagering volume through the month of November. This massive handle after only two weeks of betting created $704,728 in tax revenue for the state, with online wagering accounting for $186,084,496 of the monthly handle. $63.8 million of the bets came from promotional funds earned through new user registrations.
- November 23, 2022: Maryland sports betting has fully launched. Some of the best sportsbooks in the country are now available for download, and Marylanders can take advantage of some huge promos using the exclusive links across this page.
- November 21, 2022: A handful of online sportsbooks including BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, and FanDuel Sportsbook have all undertaken soft launches in Maryland and their welcome offers are now available.
- November 17, 2022: Maryland Lottery Director John A. Martin has confirmed that Maryland online sports betting launch will commence on Wednesday, Nov. 23.
- November 14, 2022: The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) has moved their sports betting license approval meeting to Nov. 16 instead of the originally planned Nov. 21 date. That means Maryland online sports betting apps and sites will likely start launching by Thanksgiving.
- October 25, 2022: Ten online sports betting operators are set to receive an MLGCA review on Oct. 27. If approved by the MLGCA, these ten potential online sportsbooks will be heard by SWARC during a Nov. 21 meeting, leading to an online launch on Dec. 5 at the latest.
- October 19, 2022: Online sports betting in Maryland is expected to begin launching after Nov. 21. Following a Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) review, online sportsbooks in the state will start launching in late November or early December.
- October 5, 2022: Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin has commented that Maryland online sports betting could launch in late November if SWARC begins approving licenses in early November. The Maryland Lottery and Gaming commission will announce qualified online sports betting applicants by October 27.
- September 22, 2022: After a lengthy delay in the launch process, it appears as if Maryland online sports betting is just around the corner. SWARC has agreed to approve online sportsbooks on a rolling basis as opposed to a universal start date. The Oct. 21 application deadline will allow individual online sportsbooks to launch immediately after receiving a license, which will likely take place in late November or early December of 2022.
- September 12, 2022: Just days after approving emergency regulations, Maryland online sports betting may finally launch in late 2022/early 2023, as the state is now accepting mobile wagering applications. The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) opened its application process on September 6 for online sports betting and Class B facility sports betting licenses. The deadline to apply is October 21, 2022, and online Maryland sports betting could be up and running before the end of the year.
- June 16, 2022: Gov. Hogan sent a scathing letter to SWARC criticizing the delay of Maryland online sports betting, leading to a meeting where SWARC Chairman Thomas Brandt said operator applications would be accepted shortly after the summer. While no launch date was discussed, SWARC will meet again on June 29 to discuss, and potentially vote, on Maryland online sports betting rules and regulations. Maryland online sports betting is still expected to launch in late 2022 or early 2023.
- April 25, 2022: After a rather lengthy holdup, Maryland online sports betting is once again expected to launch soon, with a potential start date during the 2022 NFL season. John Martin, Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director, is hopeful online sports betting will begin sometime after the season kicks off.
- December 22, 2021: A job posting in Maryland is hinting at the launch of a new retail sportsbook. According to the job description, Fanatics Betting and Gaming is hiring for a retail sportsbook, which would be the first Fanatics retail betting location in the country.
- December 9, 2021: Maryland sports betting got underway one day earlier than originally anticipated. Gov. Larry Hogan placed the first official sports wager at the MGM National Harbor, betting on the Washington Football Team and Baltimore Ravens to reach the Super Bowl.
- December 7, 2021: The Horseshoe Casino (Caesars Sportsbook), MGM National Harbor (BetMGM), and Maryland Live! Casino and Hotel (FanDuel Sportsbook) are set to begin controlled demonstrations of sports betting. Barring any issues that arise during these demonstrations, Maryland sports betting will officially begin at these locations on Friday, December 10 with more expected to open shortly thereafter.
- November 18, 2021: Maryland awards retail sportsbook licenses to five casinos, giving FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, Barstool Sportsbook, and TwinSpires the opportunity to open in-person betting locations. At least four more retail sportsbooks are pending approval according to state officials.
- November 16, 2021: During a recent VIXIO GamingCompliance webinar, Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin said online sports betting in the state “is going to take a long time.” A fall 2022 launch may not even happen at this point in time.
- October 28, 2021: A regulatory review commission meeting is set for November 3. This meeting could help pave the path for the retail sportsbook launches of FanDuel Sportsbook, Caesars Sportsbook, Barstool Sportsbook, BetMGM, and TwinSpires.
- October 15, 2021: Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin says two additional Maryland casinos are set to have their sports betting licenses approved at a meeting next week. Those casinos are the Ocean Downs Casino and Hollywood Casino Perryville.
- October 13, 2021: The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) was set to approve the licensing of three Maryland casinos (Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore, Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover, and MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill) at a meeting scheduled for October 14. That meeting has been postponed for the time being.
- October 8, 2021: Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin explained that while legal sports betting is making progress, online betting could be six months to a year away. In-person wagering is expected sometime in the fall, while mobile betting could take much longer.
- October 6, 2021: The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission announced the Horseshoe Casino Baltimore, Live! Casino and Hotel, and MGM National Harbor met the requirements to receive sports betting licenses. The applications from these casinos will be forwarded to SWARC, a governing body who could officially issue licenses as early as their next meeting on October 14.
- October 5, 2021: Stakeholders in the Maryland sports betting market have expressed multiple concerns with official rules and regulations following the end of the public commentary period. The primary points of contention are betting limits and the use of official league data. While in-person wagering could start by the end of the year, online Maryland sports betting may not launch until 2022.
- October 4, 2021: The final rules and regulations for Maryland sports betting are officially under review after the public commentary period ended on September 27, 2021. State officials are reviewing the comments and hoping to finalize guidelines before the end of the month.
- September 22, 2021: The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) is working to complete background check investigations before operator’s licenses are awarded to 17 initial sportsbooks. These platforms will be the first to launch when Maryland sports betting gets underway.
- September 14, 2021: The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission announced they expect in-person betting to begin in late fall or early winter. Director John Martin announced they’re working to expedite the process in time for the start of the NFL playoffs.
- September 10, 2021: Maryland sports betting didn’t launch in time for the start of the NFL season. Rules and regulations are still under review by the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency, as well as the state’s Sports Wagering Application Review Commission. In-person wagering at retail locations is expected to launch later in the fall, while online betting should arrive sometime before the 2022 Super Bowl.
- August 27, 2021: The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission published 227 pages of rules for sports betting in the Maryland Register, beginning a required 30-day period for public comment. A meeting for public comment will be held on September 22, 2021.
- August 16, 2021: Maryland’s new Sports Wagering Application Review Commission met for the first time. They passed on licensees designated in legislation to the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission.
- July 15, 2021: The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission unanimously approved rules and regulations for legal sports betting in the state. Marylanders will be provided 30 days for comments before the commission begins accepting operator applications.
- June 10, 2021: PointsBet solidifies access to the Maryland market through a partnership with the Riverboat on the Potomac, one of the state’s four licensed off-track betting sites.
- May 19, 2021: The Baltimore Ravens announce an official partnership with BetMGM Sportsbook.
- May 18, 2021: Governor Larry Hogan signs House Bill 940 into law, the final formality ahead of an expected launch this fall. HB 940 is set to be enacted on June 1, 2021.
- April 12, 2021: HB 940 passes through the Maryland state legislature.
- November 3, 2020: Maryland voters overwhelmingly supported sports wagering in a general election ballot measure.
Most betting apps and online sportsbooks offer a variety of promotions and bonus codes in order to stand out in an increasingly competitive market. These Maryland sportsbook offers change on a frequent basis and can add significant amounts to your bankroll. Maryland sports betting promos give you a real good chance to pad your bankroll without risking additional betting units.
Maryland Sports Betting Promos
|Maryland Sportsbook||Promo Details||Get Promo|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,050 in Bonuses||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Maryland||No Sweat First Bet Up To $1,000||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
|BetMGM Maryland||$1,000 First Bet Offer||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
|Caesars Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,250 on Caesars||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
|PointsBet Maryland||10 x $100 Second Chance Bets||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
|BetRivers Maryland||Get a 2nd Chance Bet Up to $500!||CLAIM PROMO CODE|
Many promos come in the form of boosted odds – meaning a bigger potential payout for the same risk – or risk-free bet credits. Some sportsbooks also offer skills-based contests, and most top-rated books offer lucrative welcome bonuses. Taking advantage of these is a great reason to register with an online sportsbook even if you plan to do most of your betting in-person at a casino.
Look for ESPN BET to join the Maryland sports betting market sometime in the near future as they’re expected to launch in the United States in November 2023. We’ll keep you posted with the latest details surrounding an ESPN BET promo code for Maryland.
How to Place a Bet With a Maryland Online Sportsbook
Placing your first wager with a Maryland online sportsbook will be simple and straightforward. The process is standardized across the board no matter which online sportsbook you’re betting with, and while interfaces might look different on the various wagering platforms, MD sports betting apps are designed specifically to be intuitive.
Here’s a quick step-by-step walkthrough of how to place a bet with a Maryland online sportsbook:
- Complete the sign-up process with a MD online sportsbook
- Deposit funds to your newly created sportsbook account
- Set your allotted bankroll and determine what size betting units you’ll wager with – never bet more than you can afford to lose
- Browse the markets and select which sport you want to wager on
- Choose which wagering type (i.e., moneyline, point spread, totals, parlay, futures, props) looks most promising
- Add the selection to your bet slip, enter your wager, and submit the bet
Placing a bet with a Maryland online sportsbook really is that simple. Rookie sports bettors in the emerging Maryland online wagering market should have no troubles placing their first bet, and these sportsbooks all have helpful customer service teams if you run into any issues. Payment options and withdrawal methods are also easy when you’re using Maryland sportsbook apps.
Maryland Retail Sports Betting: Wagering In-Person at Casinos
While online sports betting is typically the most convenient way to wager, visiting a casino has its own unique appeal. It’s hard to beat the excitement of placing a bet in-person and watching the action unfold on the sportsbook floor, especially during major events such as March Madness or the Super Bowl.
For those who want to enjoy the brick-and-mortar wagering experience, Maryland’s six casinos are scattered throughout the state. Each of these to be automatically be licensed for retail sports betting in when House Bill 940 is enacted.
Like Washington, DC, Illinois, Virginia, and Arizona, Maryland will also grant licenses to major sports stadiums and racetracks, meaning there will eventually be retail sportsbooks at CamdenYards, FedEx Field, and M&T Bank Stadium as well as Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course, and the state fairgrounds.
Sports Betting Dime will provide status updates as they become available. In the meantime, find the full name, address, and hours of operation of Maryland’s six casinos below.
|Hollywood Casino Perryville||TBA||1201 Chesapeake Overlook Pkwy, Perryville, MD 21903||Open 24/7|
|Horseshoe Casino Baltimore||Caesars Sportsbook||1525 Russell St, Baltimore, MD 21230||Open 24/7|
|Maryland Live! Casino & Hotel||FanDuel Sportsbook||7002 Arundel Mills Cir #7777, Hanover, MD 21076||Open 24/7|
|MGM National Harbor||BetMGM||101 MGM National Ave, Oxon Hill, MD 20745||Open 24/7|
|Ocean Downs Casino||TwinSpires||10218 Racetrack Rd, Berlin, MD 21811||Daily: 8am to 2am|
|Rocky Gap Casino Resort||TBD||16701 Lakeview Rd NW, Flintstone, MD 21530||Open 24/7|
Where to Bet on Sports in Maryland
Online sports betting sites are now available in Maryland. Maryland bettors can place a sports bet on NFL games or anything else while sitting amongst Ravens Nation at M&T Bank Stadium or from the comfort of their own home.
Maryland legislators took important steps to prioritize licenses and funds for minority and women-owned businesses. The state will also ensure smaller businesses can obtain licenses, including non-gaming entities such as bars, restaurants, minor-league sports venues, and others. Smaller operators will pay a lower licensing fee, reducing barriers to entry.
Legal Mobile Sports Betting in Maryland
Maryland voters overwhelmingly approved of sports wagering in a referendum in November 2020, then Gov. Larry Hogan signed legal sports betting into law in May 2021. DFS (daily fantasy sports) is also legal in Maryland alongside sportsbook operators.
The sections below summarize the most important information bettors in Maryland should be aware of now that legal Maryland sports betting is live.
Maryland voters overwhelmingly supported sports wagering in a November 2020 general election ballot measure. The Maryland Constitution requires voter approval for any expansion of commercial gambling activities, which means the referendum was a mandatory step for the state to legalize sports betting.
Question 2 authorized sports wagering at certain licensed facilities and passed by approximately a 2-1 margin. However, with the 2020 session of the Maryland General Assembly shortened in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Senate Bill 4 (which placed Question 2 on the ballot) was rushed through, resulting in a referendum that did not include specifics as to how legal sports betting would operate.
Voters’ approval of sports betting effectively gave Maryland online sportsbook legislators a directive to take further action towards implementing rules and regulations. State legislature reconvened in January 2021, and Maryland lawmakers were tasked with determining a number of factors, including:
- Licensing fees and tax rates
- Number of licensed operators
- Whether or not online sports betting will be allowed
- What types of sports events can be wagered on
- What betting options will be permitted
- Whether or not additional provisions are needed to diversify the industry
Bill HB 940 made its way through the Maryland Legislature and was signed into law by Governor Larry Hogan on May 18, 2021. Sweeping, last-minute changes by the Senate were approved by the House, making this one of the biggest sports betting bills in the nation.
The state will automatically grant licenses for in-person sports wagering at Maryland’s six casinos, three major professional sports stadiums, horse racing tracks, the state fairgrounds, and a riverboat casino on the Potomac River. Another 30 retail betting licenses are open to additional applicants, and 60 licenses for online sportsbooks will be up for grabs.
All of this is excellent news for Maryland sports bettors. With an open and competitive sports betting industry in the state, Marylanders can expect plenty of options and juicier promotions.
After SWARC awarded 10 sportsbook licenses on Nov. 16, Maryland mobile sports betting is now legal and available. The year long delay between Maryland retail and online sports betting was certainly frustrating, but local sports bettors are now enjoying wagering from the comfort of their couches.
We’re keeping this list updated if any other operators like Betfred arrive in Maryland. Here are some of the Maryland online sportsbooks that are licensed:
|MD Sportsbook||Online Launch||Expected Bonus|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Nov. 2022||$1,050 in Bonus Funds|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Nov. 2022||$1,000 No Sweat First Bet|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Nov. 2022||$1,250 On Caesars|
|BetMGM||Nov. 2022||$1,000 First Bet Offer|
|Rocky Gap Casino||N/A||TBD|
|M&T Bank Stadium||N/A||TBD|
|Oriole Park at Camden Yards||N/A||TBD|
|Jockey Bar and Grille||N/A||TBD|
|Maryland State Fairgrounds||N/A||TBD|
Online Sports Betting in Maryland
Maryland lawmakers full-heartedly embrace online betting and will issue more permits than any other state as a means to remain competitive in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Maryland online sportsbooks will allow fully remote registration, meaning bettors will not be required to sign up for or verify an online sportsbook account in person.
Sports Betting Dime will keep you up to date with rules and regulations for online sportsbooks in Maryland, as well as licensee information, as more information becomes available.
Maryland Sports Betting Rules & Restrictions
Maryland is still finalizing rules and restrictions for sports betting in the state. We expect more information to become available soon.
Check back here for updates on:
- What types of sporting events are eligible to be wagered on
- What types of wagers are allowed
- Notable exceptions and restrictions
Check out some of the most frequently asked questions about Maryland sports betting.
Can you bet on sports in Maryland?
In-person sports betting is currently available in Maryland. Online sports betting launched on Nov. 23, 2022.
How many casinos are in Maryland?
Maryland has six casinos and five horse tracks.
Where will Maryland sports betting revenue go?
State officials estimate that sports betting in Maryland could generate up to $20 million a year in tax revenue. Both lawmakers and the November 2020 ballot measure explicitly stated that the primary purpose of this revenue will be to fund public education.
Will mobile sports betting be allowed in Maryland?
Yes. Mobile sports betting went live in Maryland on Nov. 23, 2022.
What sports betting apps are available in Maryland?
Some of the best sports betting apps are available in Maryland. Online sportsbooks like DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, and Barstool Sportsbook are available in the Old Line State.
Can you bet on college sports in Maryland?
Yes, you will be able to bet on college sports in Maryland. All professional and college sports betting markets will be available in Maryland, including NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAAF and NCAAB.
Who regulates Maryland online sportsbooks?
Maryland online sportsbooks are regulated by the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency (MLGCA) and the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC).
What age can I bet online in Maryland?
You must be 21 years of age or older to bet online in Maryland. This is a standard legal betting age across most US states.
Local Teams Worth Betting On
Get ready to place a bet at a legal MD sports betting app by starting to research local teams before the anticipated launch of sports betting in 2022 or 2023. The following pro sports teams are located in or near Maryland:
- Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Orioles
- D.C. United
- Washington Capitals
- Washington Commanders
- Washington Football Team
- Washington Nationals
- Washington Wizards
The Baltimore Ravens have already announced BetMGM as the team’s official gaming partner, so expect to see advertisements around M&T Bank Stadium. It’s also likely BetMGM will offer enhanced offs and promotions on Ravens games. Maryland residents also have nearby states with some of the hottest sports scenes in the country, like the Empire State for example, ever since New York sports betting launched in January 2022.
Betting with your head and not your heart is the foundation of responsible gambling, but Sports Betting Dime understands it’s natural for fans to want to support their favorite teams.
Our comprehensive betting tools and editorial coverage are here to help you make confident and informed bets no matter who you support.
Visit SBD Sharp to find detailed return on investment data for any NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, or college basketball and football teams.
Maryland Sports Betting History
Maryland is one of few states in the US to go from allowing gambling to banning it, and is now in the process of bringing it back again. Notably, any expansion of commercial gambling activities in Maryland must be approved by a majority vote in a statewide referendum.
Once upon a time, Maryland offered legal slots betting before banning the activity in 1968. Decades later, referendums in 2008 and 2012, respectively, brought back slots wagering and then table games at state casinos.
Since then, the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was overturned on May 14, 2018. As a result, each state is now permitted to create its own laws and regulations for sports betting. As such, Maryland passed bill SB 4 to hold a referendum vote on sports and events wagering in November 2020. The vote passed overwhelmingly, paving the path for sports betting to launch with Maryland online sportsbooks sometime in 2022.
In the meantime, the Old Line State has six casinos and five horse tracks overall. They opened their sixth casino, the MGM National Harbor, in December of 2019. Those who follow the World Poker Tour may recognize the Maryland Live! Casino, which is the state’s largest and hosts a stop on the tour.
Find the Best Place to Bet on Sports
Sports Betting Dime is here to help you bet with confidence every time. Our expert reviewers have spent countless hours evaluating the best online sportsbook options so you don’t have to. You can find detailed sportsbook reviews and advice on how to pick the best one for you with our list of top online betting sites.
Looking to bet in other states around the country? You can track state-by-state legalization to keep you up to date with the latest sports betting news on a state-by-state basis so you’ll know when, where, and how to place your bets.
Enjoy the action out there!