Sports betting in New York is legal and operational at online and retail sportsbooks across the state.
New York was one of the first states to pass legislation authorizing sports betting back in 2013. As of January 8, 2022, mobile and online betting are now available in the Empire State. That means sports bettors have full access to their favorite NY sports betting apps within state borders.
Let’s take a closer look at the key info you need to know now that online sports betting is live in New York.
Best New York Sports Betting Promos for 2022
Here are the best New York sportsbook promos you can claim now:
Best New York Sports Betting Apps
Mobile sports betting is now live in New York with many online sportsbooks and mobile betting apps currently available to NY sports bettors.
Both FanDuel and DraftKings already operate brick-and-mortar betting locations in New York. Some of the biggest sportsbooks in the country, including FanDuel and DraftKings, have operational apps and sites for mobile sports betting in New York.
Here are the sportsbook apps that are available now that online New York sports betting is live:
|New York Sportsbook Apps||Launch Date||Available On|
|Caesars Sportsbook New York||January 8, 2022||Android, iOS|
|FanDuel Sportsbook New York||January 8, 2022||Android, iOS|
|DraftKings Sportsbook New York||January 8, 2022||Android, iOS|
|BetMGM New York||January 17, 2022||Android, iOS|
|PointsBet New York||January 24, 2022||Android, iOS|
|BetRivers New York||January 8, 2022||Android, iOS|
|WynnBET New York||February 3, 2022||Android, iOS|
|Bally Bet New York||TBA 2022||TBA|
|Empire Resort||March 3, 2022||Android, iOS|
Top NY Online Sportsbooks
Caesars Sportsbook is a dominant force on the New York sports betting scene. They have continued to maintain their strong presence in the Empire State with a stellar promo that tops many sportsbooks on the market.Promo: $1,500 Risk-Free Bet
DraftKings has expanded from a daily fantasy leader into one of the top brands for sports betting in the US. New York bettors can expect a large betting menu and numerous promotions at the DraftKings Sportsbook.Promo: Up to $1,050 Free!
After dominating the daily fantasy market, FanDuel has moved to online sports betting. Bettors in New York will find a superior live betting experience and lots of features for new bettors in the FanDuel Sportsbook.Promo: $250 First Bet Match
As one of the most respected names in the sports betting industry, BetMGM has been providing an exceptional wagering experience to sports bettors across the US for years and that trend continues in the New York market.Promo: $1,000 Risk-Free Bet + $25 Free Bet
This Australian brand is taking the US market by storm with a new way to bet spreads, totals, and props. Try PointsBetting for something entirely new or find great odds on traditional wagers.Promo: Five $100 Risk-Free Bets
As one of New York's first online sportsbooks, BetRivers has maintained a steady retail presence in New York for quite some time and sports bettors can expect them to remain competitive in the market.Promo: Up to $250 Deposit Match
New York Sports Betting Key Info
Getting into the action can be a bit intimidating at first. Let’s start off with some fundamentals of legal sports betting in New York.
This page has answers to all your questions about betting on sports in the Empire State. If you’re looking for something specific, skip ahead to learn more:
- Best NY Sports Betting Promos
- New York Sports Betting Sites
- Benefits of Using a Sports Betting App in NY
- Latest NY Sports Betting News
- Top New York Betting Apps
- NY Mobile Sports Betting
- NY Sports Teams and Partnerships
- New York Legal Sports Betting: Rules & Regulations To Know
- Licenses and Taxes: The Business of New York Sports Betting
- New York Retail Sportsbooks: Where to Bet on Sports in NY
- New York Sports Betting FAQs
Betting Legalized: 2013
Launch: June 16, 2019
Platforms: Online and retail
Online Betting Launch: January 8, 2022
Online Sportsbooks: DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, Bally Bet
Age Requirement: 21+
While casinos do offer some promotions, contests, and bonuses worth looking into, the juiciest sports betting bonuses are generally found online.
Online sportsbooks typically offer generous sign-up bonuses for new customers. They’re certainly nothing to sneeze at. Sportsbooks are highly competitive with each other in emerging markets, and they’ll offer a ton of sports betting bonuses in the Empire State.
Check back here to stay up-to-date with the latest info and be sure you’re first in line for NY online sports betting bonuses.
Caesars Sportsbook NY Promo
Caesars Sportsbook has touched down in New York in a major way by offering New York sports bettors a $1,500 first bet insurance. This is a fantastic promo that no other sportsbook in New York is currently matching, so it’s a great way to get started with Caesars Sportsbook promo codes and a very healthy amount of wagering dollars.Advertising Disclosure
DraftKings Sportsbook NY Promo
DraftKings Sportsbook is offering New York sports bettors up to $1,050 free just for completing the registration process. One of the big players on the New York sports betting scene, this promo from DraftKings Sportsbook is a must for sports bettors in the Empire State.Advertising Disclosure
FanDuel Sportsbook NY Promo
FanDuel Sportsbook is giving New Yorkers a risk-free bet up to $1,000 just for signing up with their sportsbook. FanDuel Sportsbook has a reputation as one of the top mobile sports betting apps around, so make sure to take advantage of this awesome New York promo.
BetMGM NY Promo
BetMGM is live in New York and they’ve brought their excellent $1,000 risk-free bet along with them. As one of the most trusted names in the sports betting industry, BetMGM delievers a great betting app equipped with everything you’ll need to make your wagering experience seamless.
PointsBet NY Promo
PointsBet is bursting onto the New York sports betting scene with a risk-free bet up to $1,500 through their propriety Points Betting wagering system and $500 on their first Fixed Odds wager. All that value amounts to a great $2,000 welcome bonus specially designed for New Yorkers to start enjoying the PointsBet app.Advertising Disclosure
BetRivers NY Promo
BetRivers is joining the New York sports betting scene with a $250 bonus match . While this promo might not be as big as some of the other sportsbooks on the New York sports betting scene, the BetRivers sportsbook still offers a strong user experience that is familiar to many bettors in the state.Advertising Disclosure
Here are the NY online sportsbooks available in New York now that online sports betting is live in the state.
Caesars Sportsbook New York
Caesars Sportsbook has expanded their online empire into the Empire State. Caesars Sportsbook New York has now officially launched in New York. They were one of nine sportsbooks to receive the first online sports betting licenses in November 2021. They’re bringing a stellar bonus offer of $1,500 first bet insurance.Advertising Disclosure
Caesars Sportsbook NY also has three retail sportsbook locations established in New York. Sports bettors can visit the Yellow Brick Road Casino in Chittenango, the Point Place Casino in Bridgeport, or the Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona.
You’ll be able to wager from virtually anywhere in the state now that mobile sports betting is available in New York.
DraftKings Sportsbook New York
Now that online wagering is available in New York, DraftKings Sportsbook has its sights set on being one of the premier sports betting operators in the Empire State. To help do that, they’re bringing up to $1,050 free just for registering.Advertising Disclosure
The overall experience betting with DraftKings Sportsbook is unmatched, and with one of the richest sports scenes anywhere in the world, online betting with DraftKings will take New York by storm.
New York sports bettors can also wager in-person with DraftKings Sportsbook NY at their Del Lago Resort & Casino retail location in Waterloo, NY.
FanDuel Sportsbook New York
FanDuel is headquartered in New York City and FanDuel Sportsbook is widely regarded as one of the best platforms available to sports bettors. Their betting site and mobile app are universally appreciated. They’re offering a a risk-free bet up to $1,000 for New York sports bettors.
Fans in New York can already wager with FanDuel in-person at their retail sportsbook, located at the Tioga Downs Casino Resort in Nichols, NY. Still, the convenience of betting online or with a mobile device is unmatched, and there are few sportsbooks that do it better than FanDuel.
Expect FanDuel Sportsbook NY to make their presence known now that online sports betting is underway in the state.
BetMGM New York
MGM is a household name in the betting world, and the BetMGM sportsbook is now available in the Empire State. They have a fantastic risk-free bet promo for new users, a sleek and intuitive mobile sportsbook app, and they offer a wagering experience that will keep New Yorkers happy. MGM Resorts International acquired the Empire City Casino in January 2019, located in Yonkers, NY.
BetMGM signed an official sports betting partnership with Madison Square Garden, the New York Knicks, and New York Rangers in November 2021. BetMGM New York is a great addition to the NY online sports betting market.
BetRivers New York
As the first sportsbook that opened in New York, BetRivers New York already has a lot of brand name recognition in the Empire State. The BetRivers retail sportsbook location opened at the Rivers Casino and Resort in Schenectady, NY on July 16, 2019.Advertising Disclosure
They were one of the first nine NY betting sites to receive a sports betting license from the New York State Gaming Commission in November of 2021. Their parent company, Rush Street Interactive, partnered with Kambi Group to secure market access in this booming sports betting scene. Make sure you take advantage of their lucrative sign-up promo if you haven’t already.
PointsBet New York
PointsBet, a premier sportsbook headquartered in Australia, was one of the first nine betting sites to receive an online sports betting license in New York. PointsBet New York will be a staple in the Empire State sports betting market, thanks to their top-notch mobile app that’s sleek and reliable.Advertising Disclosure
They have an agreement with the Tioga Downs Casino Resort in Nichols, NY. It’s unknown at this time if they’ll open a retail sportsbook at this location, as the FanDuel Sportsbook already operates one at this same casino. Either way, New Yorkers will be happy with PointsBet now that they can wager online with them.
WynnBET New York
Powered by the Wynn Interactive and Wynn Resorts machine, WynnBET was one of the earliest online sportsbooks to enter the New York sports betting market. The WynnBET sportsbook NY set up shop in the state on February 3, 2022.
𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐬!
We have secured market access in New York! See you soon 👀 pic.twitter.com/82aTirdJrW
— WynnBET (@WynnBET) November 8, 2021
WynnBET already has active operations in Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Virginia and they’re still growing fast. They’ll be one of the premier sportsbooks to watch in the New York region now that they’re up and running in the state.
Bally Bet New York
Bally’s Corporation is one of the most recognizable brands in the world of betting, and the Bally Bet sportsbook NY lives up to its name. Powered by proprietary Bet.Works technology, the Bally Bet wagering site and mobile app platforms are among the best in the business. Bally Bet first launched in Colorado in May 2021, followed by Bally Bet Iowa in July 2021.
Bally Bet New York is a top-notch choice for NY sports bettors, especially for new customers who can register and unlock their valuable promos.
Mobile apps have become a lifeline for most people in the digital age. People use them to shop, file taxes, book appointments, and tons of other things on a daily basis.
That’s no different for sports bettors in New York. People want the convenience of being able to wager on the sports they want and sports betting apps give them just that and more. Below are some key benefits of using a sports betting app in New York.
NY Sports Betting Apps Come From Licensed Operators
On January 8, 2022, online sports betting officially launched in New York. That also meant the arrival of major sportsbooks in the state including Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, and BetMGM. These are sports betting apps that operate legally within New York and, as such, provide a safe experience for sports bettors using any app from an NY-licensed operator.
Enjoy a Personalized NY Sports Betting App Experience
When you sign up with a NY sports betting app, you can generally customize the experience to fit your personal needs. If you only want to bet on the New York Mets and New York Jets, for example, you can set up notifications for upcoming games and explore lines for particular games they’re involved in. There’s no extra clutter from teams or events outside of your scope of interest as a sports bettor.
The Desktop Experience Doesn’t Cut It Anymore
Making bets off your desktop computer is fine when you’re around one, but it won’t do much if you’re in transit or on the road in New York. Since we already know most people execute a number of daily tasks from their phones, sports betting is another natural fit for users that are busy and constantly moving around.
Online and retail sports betting are now both legal and available in New York, but this market is still an ever-changing landscape.
SportsBettingDime.com is following all of the latest news to keep you up to date as sports betting continues to evolve in the Empire State.
- March 3, 2022: Empire Resorts officially launched their Resorts WorldBET platform in New York. This leaves Bally Bet as the last sportsbook that received a license to operate in New York that has not yet launched.
- February 22, 2022: DraftKings CEO Jason Robins said it’s possible the New York legislature will reduce the 51% state tax on mobile sports betting.
- January 24, 2022: PointsBet officially launches in New York, becoming the sixth online sportsbook to go live in the Empire State.
- January 18, 2022: The first weekend of NY online sports betting was absolutely massive. More than 650,000 new sportsbook accounts were created, and over $150 million in total wagers were collected according to the New York Fiscal Year 2023 Budget Briefing Book. GeoComply reported a total of 17.2 million transactions through NY sportsbook apps over the opening weekend.
- January 14, 2022: BetMGM New York has been officially approved for launch in the Empire State. The sportsbook is expected to go live on Monday, January 17, 2022 and will join the four online sportsbook already available in New York.
- January 9, 2022: Now that online sports betting in New York is live, check out how to get your hands on the three best NY sports betting apps (FanDuel Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, Caesars Sportsbook) available for your wagering pleasure within the state.
- January 8, 2022: Online sports betting officially launches in New York. Four platform providers are allowed to commence their online sports betting platforms: DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars Sportsbook, and Rush Street Interactive.
- January 6, 2022: The New York State Gaming Commission approves four platform providers and operators to start online sports betting on January 8, 2022. The four providers that have been approved are Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, FanDuel, and Rush Street Interactive.
- January 6, 2022: Sen. Joseph Addabbo Jr. reiterates that online New York sports betting will be ready in time for Super Bowl LVI on February 13, 2022. He told Elite Sports NY, “It’s imminent, I think. This will start well before the Super Bowl, sometime within the early part of the NFL playoffs.” He also said there is no talk of allowing wagering on in-state college teams.
- December 23, 2021: Another update from Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr. suggests online New York sports betting will launch in the second or third week of January 2022. The New York State Gaming Commission will announce a permitted start date for all nine sportsbooks set to launch.
- December 10, 2021: Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr. explained that while he would be thrilled for online New York sports betting to launch before the end of the year, a January go-live date is more realistic. He said, “You want all the bugs, all the glitches, all the kinks worked out by the Super Bowl, because you’ll have an onslaught of another major sporting event by then. That, to me, is the benchmark. How we perform during the Super Bowl.”
- November 24, 2021: The New York Department of State officializes sports betting rules within the state. This was announced through the Department of State’s newsletter, the New York State Register, which updates rules and regulations for a variety of industries in the state.
- November 22, 2021: New York State Senator Joseph Addabbo, Jr. files a bill for the state’s upcoming legislative session in January to bring online betting on horse racing and stadium betting kiosks to New York.
- November 18, 2021: Caesars Sportsbook announced an official partnership with Madison Square Garden for online New York sports betting. Caesars Sportsbook will have a premium space located within MSG, and the agreement also creates a partnership between Caesars Sportsbook, the New York Knicks, and the New York Rangers. This is the second partnership MSG has signed with an online NY sportsbook.
- November 9, 2021: BetMGM and Madison Square Garden announced official partnerships with the New York Knicks and New York Rangers. This happened just a day after BetMGM received an online sports betting license in New York.
- November 8, 2021: The New York State Gaming Commission officially awarded online sports betting licenses to nine different sportsbooks. FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, Bally Bet, Caesars Sportsbook, PointsBet, WynnBet, Rush Street Interactive, Kambi, and Empire Resort all received 10-year licenses. New York online sports betting is expected to launch in time for Super Bowl LVI in February 2022.
- November 2, 2021: The New York Post reports that New York state is expected to name sports betting operators sometime this week. It’s expected that the state will choose two groups to help launch online sports betting in New York: a consortium of Bally Bet, BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel; additionally a group including Caesars, Wynn Interactive, Empire Resorts, and Rush Street Interactive.
- October 19, 2021: New York regulators determine a “final tax rate matrix” that all bidding sportsbooks need to follow in order to have their New York online sports betting license considered. The winning New York sports betting operators could end up paying a 64% tax rate.
- September 17, 2021: The New York Gaming Commission will skip the oral presentation process from sportsbooks bidding on an operators license. New York online sports betting is still expected to arrive before the 2022 Super Bowl.
- August 2021: Potential sportsbook operators began submitting their applications to the NY State Gaming Commission in hopes of securing mobile betting access in the Empire State. Despite meeting this deadline for proposals, NY online sports betting is still a ways off.
- July 2, 2021: The NY State Gaming Commission missed the July 1, 2021 deadline to initiate the bidding process for online sportsbooks, which could cause further delays for New York mobile betting. These delays could push the potential go-live date past the start of the 2021 NFL season.
- April 6, 2021: Legislators passed a state budget bill for fiscal year 2022 that will ultimately allow mobile and online betting to launch in New York. The New York State Gaming Commission will initiate a bidding process for two platform providers and four online betting skins. The application deadline for this auction is July 31, 2021, at which point the state will take up to 150 days to evaluate bids.
- January 6, 2021: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared his support for online and mobile sports betting. Cuomo surprised many by supporting a single-source model run by the state lottery, a system that has been heavily criticized in Washington DC.
- December 1, 2020: State Assemblyman J. Gary Pretlow reiterated his support for online sports betting in New York, saying the State Assembly would review the topic by 2021 at the latest. Pretlow explained online sports betting would help reduce state revenue shortages caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. State Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr. shared a similar sentiment, stating he’d like to pass online sports betting legislation “sooner than later.”
- November 3, 2020: Senator Addabbo estimates the state of New York is missing out on approximately $1 billion per year without online sports betting. He continued to push other lawmakers on Senate Bill 17D, which would legalize online sports betting in New York.
Most of us connect with sports primarily through our mobile devices. Now you’ll be able to bet from them as well! Mobile betting is available in New York.
Betting apps make it easy to quickly evaluate the odds and place your wagers while on the go. Plus, the best sportsbook apps support the fast pace of live, in-game betting, which is hands-down the most exciting way to wager on most sporting events.
Some betting apps are market-specific, meaning you would be required to download the ‘New York version’ to place wagers within the state.
Here are some of the sports betting apps currently available in New York:
|NY Sports Betting App||Learn More||App Store Score||Google Play Score|
|FanDuel Sportsbook App Review||4.8||4.7|
|DraftKings Sportsbook App Review||4.8||4.5|
|BetMGM App Review||4.8||4.3|
|PointsBet App Review||4.7||4.6|
|BetRivers App Review||4.6||3.5|
You can find detailed reviews of each of these highly-rated betting apps at the links in the table above.
These apps have launched in many other states with legal mobile betting and have earned the vote of both new bettors and our experienced reviewers alike. These sportsbooks have well-priced odds, lucrative bonuses, and a wide range of betting options at your fingertips.
Each betting app is available for both Apple and Android users.
Now that mobile sports betting has been legalized, New York bettors can now place bets from anywhere in the Empire State. That means you can place bets whether you’re watching a live game at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx or a fun sports bar in Brooklyn.
Most of New York’s approved online sportsbooks have a mobile offering for sports bettors. These platforms are perfect for New Yorkers looking to place bets on-the-go. Make sure you take a look into each individual NY online sportsbook to find out which one best suit your needs as a bettor.
The New York online sports betting market as a whole has been an unprecedented success. It took a mere three weeks for the state to break its monthly sports betting handle record when they registered $1.6 billion in total betting handle for the period of January 8-30, 2022. These massive revenue numbers continued in February and March with $1.5 billion in total wagers for both months.
February 13, 2022 also marked the first time New York sports bettors could bet on the Super Bowl while the following month brought March Madness to the limelight. In the first three months of launching online sports betting in New York, the state undeniably dominated in every aspect its revenue aspirations.
After you select the right sportsbook for you, it’s time to place some bets. The Empire State has no shortage of local teams worth a wager. The Big Apple plays host to more professional sports teams than any other city in the world, with additional clubs based on Long Island and upstate in Buffalo.
Many New York teams have existing partnerships with sportsbooks. Once legal online sports betting goes live in New York, watch out for special promotions on your favorite teams, particularly when betting with their official sports betting partner. The table below displays current partnerships.
|Team||Local Sports Betting Partner|
|New York Yankees||FanDuel|
|New York Mets||Caesars|
|New York Knicks||DraftKings|
|New York Giants||DraftKings|
|New York Jets||BetMGM|
|Buffalo Bills||Seneca Resorts & Casinos|
|New York Rangers||DraftKings|
|New York Islanders||Betway|
|Buffalo Sabres||Seneca Resorts & Casinos|
|New York Liberty||FanDuel|
While we advise you to bet with your head and not your heart, SBD understands that fans want to support their favorite teams.
Our betting tools and editorial content will give you a competitive edge so you can make informed bets with confidence.
Sports betting might have a tarnished image in the minds of some New Yorkers. No doubt, pop culture depictions of the mafia often center around bookies and loan sharks preying on customers around the city.
Today, these popular depictions couldn’t be farther from the reality of sports betting in the Empire State.
Whether visiting licensed sportsbooks at upstate casinos or visiting New Jersey or Pennsylvania to place a few online wagers, NY sports bettors have plenty of legitimate and legal venues to get in their action. There are only limited restrictions on who can bet on sports in the state, and what types of wagering the sportsbooks are allowed to offer.
Sports betting in New York is authorized under S5883, also known as the Upstate New York Gaming Economic Development Act. The bill became law back in 2013, but the portion authorizing legal sports betting did not take effect until the nationwide repeal of PASPA in 2018.
The rules that regulate the retail sports betting industry in NY are outlined in the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations, Title 9, Subtitle T, Chapter IV, Subchapter B, Part 5329. You can read them in detail if you please, but we summarize the key information below.
Who Can Bet on Sports in New York?
Most adults ages 21 and over are allowed to bet on sports at New York casinos. The only exceptions are individuals registered on a gambling self-exclusion list and select people directly involved with professional or collegiate sporting organizations.
According to the New York sports betting rules, you are be prohibited from sports betting in NY if you fall into the following categories:
- Any athlete whose performance may be used to determine, in whole or in part, the outcome of such wagering
- Any person who is an athlete, player, coach, referee, or any other game official, physician, trainer, team employee, or governing body employee, in any sports event overseen by such person’s sports governing body
- Any person with access to material, non-public confidential information about a sports event that is the subject of such wagering
- A person identified to the commission by a sports governing body that the commission agrees is a person who should be a prohibited sports pool participant
- Any person who holds a position of authority or influence sufficient to exert influence over the participants in a sports event that is the subject of a wager, if such person is not otherwise described by this subdivision.
So long as you haven’t been excluded from gambling in the state for problem behavior and don’t fit into the categories above, you will be allowed to wager at New York sportsbooks.
You do not need to be a New York resident to gamble at casinos in the state.
Sports Betting in New York: Which Events and Sports Can Be Wagered On?
Sportsbook operators must receive approval from the gaming commission to offer wagering on sporting events. All professional and collegiate sporting events are to be approved and can be offered at New York sportsbooks, with only a few explicit exceptions.
No Betting on NY College Teams or Events
As in neighboring New Jersey and several other states with legal sports betting, New York prohibits wagering on events that involve college athletes representing schools from the state. This also extends to any collegiate sporting event taking place within New York.
To read the letter of the law: “Prohibited sports event” means any collegiate sport or athletic event that takes place in New York or a sport or athletic event in which any New York college team participates regardless of where the event takes place.
Only Sporting Events Are Eligible
Wagers on pop culture events like the Grammy’s and Emmy’s are popular at many international sportsbooks, but these wagers are a no-go in New York. The same is true of betting on political outcomes such as the Presidential Election.
In New York, this prohibition has also been interpreted to apply to eSports. No betting on CS:GO or LOL at upstate sportsbooks, at least for the time being. A growing number of states are allowing wagers on eSports – for example, CO, VA, and WV sports betting regulations all permit eSports betting – so perhaps New York will eventually follow suit.
Which Types of Bets Can I Place on These Events?
New York allows all the most popular wagering types.
- Want to back the Giants against the Cowboys? You’ll find NFL moneylines, spreads, and totals lines at every New York sportsbook.
- Watching the Subway Series? Doesn’t matter if you’re cheering for the Yanks or the Mets – you’ll love the extra excitement that comes with live betting. And it will only get easier to do when New York online betting goes live.
- Have a feeling Sabrina Ionescu has an outside shot at winning WNBA MVP this year? Think KD and the Nets can win the NBA Finals? It might be worth putting money on a player awards or championship futures bet.
- Got a hunch Julius Randle is going to drop 30 points on the Lakers? Check out the available prop bets.
- If you’re the go big or go home type, parlays might be your thing. For example, you could bet on the Sabres, Isles, and Rangers all to win tonight. Look at options for pleasers and teasers, too.
There are practically limitless betting opportunities, but these examples should give you an idea of what’s available at NY sportsbooks. Plus, if you don’t see a line for a bet you’re interested in making, most sportsbooks will allow you to submit a request.
Note that any new wagering types must be submitted to the gaming commission for approval. So long as the wager has a verifiable outcome directly related to the result of an approved sporting event, the commission will approve the request. This means bettors can expect to see creative new wager types like PointsBetting in New York state.
The Big Apple plays host to more professional sports teams than any other city in the world, with additional clubs based on Long Island and upstate in Buffalo. Unsurprisingly, sports betting has long played a part in the city’s grey economy and underworld.
The industry is poised for a windfall of growth as it goes fully legal in the wake of the US Supreme Court decision overturning the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA).
Growth has been slow at first due to the lack of legal online market, with all betting limited to the state’s commercial and tribal casinos, which are primarily located upstate. That is set to change after the state passed a budget bill for fiscal year 2022 that authorizes online and mobile betting.
In what is sure to be a highly competitive process, New York will issue at least two primary licenses to online operators. The lucky winners of this selection process will be charged a license fee of $25 million. In addition to that hefty initial price tag, Gov. Andrew Cuomo requested operators share at least half their profits with the state, although this rate has yet to be finalized.
In the meantime, crossing state lines to place a mobile sports bet in New Jersey or Pennsylvania remains a more practical option for most New Yorkers, as the state’s population is heavily centered around NYC and the Hudson Valley.
Interestingly, New York helped New Jersey push for the changes to federal law that are now pushing millions of dollars in tax revenue from New York City sports bettors into the hands of New Jersey lawmakers.
The Empire State was ahead of its time in terms of sports betting legislation, including language that authorizes the practice in a 2013 gambling expansion act that intended to stimulate the struggling economy upstate. The state also charges an operator-friendly 10 percent tax rate on gross gaming revenue at retail sportsbooks.
While they’ve missed out on a huge chunk of mobile and online revenue, the state’s casinos are bringing in dollars thanks to the burgeoning legal sports betting market. New York gross sports betting revenue reached $10.7 million and the industry generated over $1 million in tax revenue in 2020. Check our New York sports betting revenue page for a market overview and month-by-month data.
These numbers make New York one of the smallest markets for legal sports betting. NJ sports betting, by comparison, brought in over $6 billion in handle and $400 million in gross revenue during 2020, even though the state’s population is less than half that of New York’s. New Hampshire – with a population of just over a million people – currently generates more sports betting profits, that can be tracked via our New York revenue page.
If you’re wondering what accounts for this massive delta, consider the fact that over 80 percent of sports wagers placed in New Jersey are entered remotely. Lawmakers in nearby MD and CT clearly learned from New York’s mistakes, as both look to open their virtual doors immediately upon launching their sports betting markets. Further south, Tennessee sports betting takes place exclusively online.
New York sports betting law also places significant limitations on how many licenses can be granted for in-person sports betting at brick-and-mortar casino locations.
The 2013 bill that currently authorizes sports betting in the state was intended to act as a mini-stimulus package for struggling upstate communities. As such, it limits the expansion of gaming to those specific communities, explicitly preventing operators from setting up shop within striking distance of the lucrative NYC market.
Today, sports betting in New York remains limited to the four upstate casinos authorized to offer “sports pools” by the original legislation and tribal casinos also located far from the city.
Here are the places you can legally bet on sports in New York:
- Turning Stone Resort & Casino
- Resorts World Catskills
- Rivers Casino Schenectady
- del Lago Resort & Casino
- Tioga Downs
- Yellow Brick Road Casino
- Point Place Casino
- Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort
Sports betting licenses are limited to these existing locations for the time being. Bettors in New York City who want to visit a brick-and-mortar sportsbook will find much closer options a short drive away in New Jersey.
That said, the excitement of wagering in-person at a commercial casino is the perfect excuse for a getaway. Whether your ten minutes or five hours from a NY casino with sports betting, it’s worth planning a visit at least once to soak up the atmosphere.
The map and table below include all the details you need to find the legal New York sportsbook closest to you:
Find the full address, hours of operation, and name of the sportsbook at each NY retail location below.
|Turning Stone Resort & Casino||The Lounge with Caesars Sports||5218 Patrick Rd, Verona, NY 13478||24/7|
|Resorts World Catskills||Sportsbook 360||888 Resorts World Dr, Monticello, NY 12701||Monday & Tuesday: 5:30pm – 1:30am
Wednesday – Sunday: 10am – 1:30am
|Rivers Casino Schenectady||Rivers Sportsbook||1 Rush St, Schenectady, NY 12305||Monday to Thursday: 10am – 12am
Friday: 10am – 1am
Saturday: 9am – 1am
Sunday: 9am – 12am
|del Lago Resort & Casino||DraftKings Sportsbook||1133 NY-414, Waterloo, NY 13165||Sunday to Saturday: 10am – 1am|
|Tioga Downs||FanDuel Sportsbook||2384 W River Rd, Nichols, NY 13812||Monday to Thursday: 11am – 11pm
Friday: 11am – 12am
Saturday: 9am – 12am
Sunday: 9am – 11:30pm
|Yellow Brick Road Casino||The Lounge with Caesars Sports||800 W Genesee St, Chittenango, NY 13037||Monday – Thursday: 10am – 1am
Friday: 10am – 1am
Saturday: 9am – 1am
Sunday: 9am – 1am
|Point Place Casino||The Lounge with Caesars Sports||450 NY-31, Bridgeport, NY 13030||24/7|
|Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort||Sticks Sports Book||873 NY-37, Hogansburg, NY 13655||Monday to Thursday: 11am – 10pm
Friday: 11am – 12am
Saturday & Sunday: 10am – 12am
*Hours are subject to change due to COVID-19
Remember, you don’t have to be a New York resident to visit these casinos. For example, while sports betting in Vermont remains illegal, VT residents are free to head across to upstate New York to place their wagers if they so choose.
Looking to get the lowdown on New York sports betting? Check out our FAQs below to find out what you need to know.
Is sports betting legal in New York?
Yes, retail sports betting was legalized in New York in 2019. Online and mobile wagering were authorized in 2021 and officially launched on January 8, 2022.
How old do I have to be to place a bet in New York?
To legally gamble in New York, you must be at least 21 years old.
How do I start gambling in New York?
Use the sportsbooks and locations we have listed here as a starting point. Register with the sportsbook that best suits your needs.
Is DraftKings Sportsbook available in New York?
Yes, DraftKings Sportsbook launched in New York on January 8, 2022.
When can you go bet on sports in New York?
You can currently bet on sports online and at all retail locations in New York.
Do I have to be a New York resident to bet on sports in the state?
No, you do not have to reside in New York to place bets there.
What sports can I bet on in New York?
You can bet on a number of professional sports leagues including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and more. You cannot, however, place bets on college teams from the state of New York.
What online sportsbooks are legal in New York?
Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, BetMGM, BetRivers, PointsBet, and more are now available in New York.
What sports betting apps are legal in new York?
Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, BetMGM, BetRivers, PointsBet, and others now have legal sports betting apps in New York.
Find the Best Legal Betting Apps for Every State
The path to sports betting legalization in New York has been long and winding.
With online sports betting finally here, the Empire State is just one of many markets undergoing drastic changes when it comes to regulated sports wagering. See our state-by-state legal tracker for all the latest updates on sports betting in other jurisdictions.
SportsBettingDime.com is your source to find the best online sportsbooks and betting information wherever you live.
Have fun and enjoy the action out there!