Mobile sports betting is now available across the Pelican State.
Home to 4.6 million people and two major league sports teams in the NFL’s New Orleans Saints and NBA’s New Orleans Pelicans, Louisiana is one of the largest southern states to legalize online sports betting and mobile sportsbooks.
Sports Betting Dime is here to keep you up-to-speed with the latest Louisiana sportsbook promos, Louisiana sports betting apps, and other key information that’s essential to place your first wager in the state.
Without further ado, let’s take a closer look at everything you need to know about sports betting in Louisiana.
Best Louisiana Sports Betting Promos for March Madness
March Madness is just around the corner and Louisiana sports bettors will be pleased to know that they will soon be able to wager on the NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament. The LSU Tigers have made the tournament four times since 2015 and reached as far as the Sweet Sixteen round in 2019.
If you think LSU or any other NCAA squad has what it takes to win the tournament, take a look at the best college basketball betting sites and top promos for those brands below. Head over to our college basketball odds page as well to get even more insights.
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK
BET $5 ON COLLEGE BASKETBALL & GET $200 IN BONUS BETS!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK
FIRST BET OFFER: UP TO $1,000 PAID BACK
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK
FIRST BET ON CAESARS UP TO $1,250
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK
NO SWEAT FIRST BET UP TO $1,000!
Best Louisiana Sports Betting Apps
One of the most reputable and recognizable names in the world of sports betting, DraftKings Sportsbook has brought their illustrious sports betting app and site to Louisiana.Promo: Bet $5, Get $200
As the official sportsbook of the New Orleans Saints and LSU Athletics, Caesars Sportsbook has risen above the pack to become a Louisiana sports betting staple.Promo: Up To $1,250 On Caesars
Thanks to a partnership with the New Orleans Pelicans, the FanDuel Sportsbook name is ringing off among Louisiana sports bettors and it's one of the top sports betting apps and sites in the state.Promo: $1,000 No Sweat First Bet
BetMGM is a great addition to the Louisiana sports betting scene with some of the best betting options in the business available to bettors in the Pelican State.Promo: $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets
Louisiana Sports Betting: Key Info
Let’s warm up with the basics of legal sports betting in the Pelican State. Here are the key details Louisiana bettors should know.
Sports Betting Legalized: June 22, 2021
Online Launch Date: January 28, 2022
Live Platforms: Online and retail
Confirmed Sportsbooks: Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, Barstool Sportsbook, BetMGM
Age Requirement: 21+
It’s important to note that sports wagering is only available in the parishes that voted for it in the 2020 referendum, at least for the time being. We’ll discuss this and much more in the coming sections:
- Is Sports Betting Legal in Louisiana?
- Best Louisiana Sportsbook Promos
- Louisiana Sportsbooks: LA Online Sports Betting Apps & Sites
- Louisiana Sports Betting FAQs
- Local Louisiana Teams Worth Betting On
Is Sports Betting Legal in Louisiana?
Yes, online and in-person sports betting are both currently legal in Louisiana. Louisiana sportsbooks and regulators worked towards launching online sports betting in time for the 2022 Super Bowl, which they accomplished. Louisiana sports betting apps officially launched on January 28, 2022.
This will certainly save Louisiana sports bettors the extra trip to Arkansas or Mississippi now that sports betting is available online and in-person within their state borders.
Best Louisiana Sportsbook Promos
|Best Louisiana Sportsbooks||Promo Code||Promo Details|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Louisiana||See Promo Details||$1,000 Deposit Match + $50 Free Bet|
|Caesars Sportsbook Louisiana||SBDIME15||$1,500 Risk-Free Bet|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Louisiana||See Promo Details||$1,000 No Sweat First Bet|
|Barstool Sportsbook Louisiana||See Promo Details||$1,000 Bet Insurance|
|BetMGM Louisiana||See Promo Details||$1,000 Risk-Free Bet|
Most American sports betting apps and online sportsbooks provide an assortment of promotions and bonus offers to stand out in an increasingly competitive market. These offers change frequently and can add significant amounts to your bankroll.
Taking advantage of lucrative first deposit bonuses is a great reason to register with an online sportsbook, even if you plan to do most of your betting in-person at a casino.
Big industry names such as Caesars Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, and BetMGM are all getting into the Louisiana sports betting mix. Each of these sportsbooks are offering great bonus codes for new users.
For example, Caesars Sportsbook is offering a fantastic $1,500 risk-free bet bonus for new players so you can place your first bet with complete confidence. Louisiana sports betting apps such as Bartsool Sportsbook, BetMGM, DraftKings Sportsbook, and FanDuel Sportsbook also offer great $1,000 risk-free bet bonuses for first-time Louisiana bettors as well.
Check back here to stay up to date with the latest Louisiana sportsbook promotions.
Louisiana Online Sports Betting
Louisiana online sports betting has been in the works for a hot minute, and it finally launched on January 28, 2022. Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman Ronnie Johns long said he expected online sports betting in the state to launch by January 2022, a target that the state was able to hit.
Louisiana already made solid progress with retail sportsbooks prior to the online sports betting launch. Boomtown Bossier City Casino, Boomtown New Orleans Casino, Golden Nugget Lake Charles Hotel and Casino, Horseshoe Bossier City, Harrah’s New Orleans, L’Auberge Casino Hotel Baton Rouge, L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, and Margaritaville Resort Casino were all approved for retail wager licenses in the state.
Now that Louisiana online sports betting has launched, it will be available in 56 of the state’s 64 parishes that approved sports betting as part of a 2020 referendum. That means it’s not available in every single corner of Louisiana, but most parishes have it up and running.
Louisiana Sportsbooks: LA Online Sports Betting Apps & Sites
Major US betting sites and apps such as Caesars Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, DraftKings Sportsbook, Barstool Sportsbook, and BetMGM are all getting in on the Pelican State sports betting action.
DraftKings Louisiana Sportsbook
After receiving the first Daily Fantasy Sports license in Louisiana, DraftKings Sportsbook was among the first to launch in the Pelican State. As one of the biggest and most marketed sportsbooks in America, DraftKings is a household name in Louisiana. The brand even donated $250,000 to the “Louisiana Wins” campaign to legalize sports betting, demonstrating their commitment to the LA market.
DraftKings is the top-ranked sportsbook in the US for a reason and will undoubtedly be a favorite amongst Louisianans for years to come. Sports bettors can look forward to enticing promotions and a user-friendly experience with DraftKings Louisiana.
>>> DOWNLOAD THE DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK APP HERE <<<
Caesars Sportsbook Louisiana
There are few betting brands more iconic than Caesars, and they’ve already made a big splash in Louisiana. In July 2021, it was announced that Caesars Entertainment and the New Orleans Saints reached a 20-year exclusive naming rights deal. The Saints’ stadium is now known as the Caesars Superdome as a result. But Caesars didn’t stop there, they also became the official sportsbook of LSU Athletics and will have Caesars Sportsbook branding throughout Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge as well.Advertising Disclosure
It’s clear that Caesars Louisiana put a lot of time and money into their Bayou State grand entrance. Sports bettors in the state can expect great customer service, fantastic promos, and a beautiful mobile app from Caesars. They’re also offering a generous $1,500 risk-free bet bonus for new Louisiana sports bettors that sign up for their sportsbook. You can find out the latest Caesars Sportsbook promo code, updated monthly on SportsBettingDime.com.
>>> DOWNLOAD THE CAESARS SPORTSBOOK APP HERE <<<
FanDuel Louisiana Sportsbook
FanDuel has one of the largest market shares of any sportsbook in America. The brand spent $250,000 to help the “Louisiana Wins” campaign to legalize sports betting in Louisiana and has a corporate partnership with the New Orleans Pelicans.
Louisianans can look forward to placing wagers on-the-go with one of the most intuitive and visually appealing mobile betting apps around. Bettors who enjoy the rapid pace of live, in-game wagering will appreciate both the array of in-play betting options and the speed and smoothness of the FanDuel Sportsbook Louisiana app.
>>> DOWNLOAD THE FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK APP HERE <<<
Barstool Sportsbook Louisiana
Barstool Sportsbook had easy access to the Louisiana sports betting market given its ties to Penn National Gaming. Penn National has a 36 percent stake in Barstool and owns and operates five casinos in Louisiana. That list includes the Boomtown Casinos in New Orleans and Bossier City, L’Auberge Casinos in Baton Rouge and Lake Charles, and Margaritaville Resort Casino.
While Barstool is a polarizing brand, it has a large and loyal social media following that will surely help Barstool Sportsbook Louisiana. Watch out for buzz-worthy promotions and plenty of engaging content.
>>> DOWNLOAD THE BARSTOOL SPORTSBOOK APP HERE <<<
BetMGM Louisiana was one of the first sports betting apps to open its virtual doors when the Pelican State launched legal mobile sports betting. The BetMGM sportsbook already owns a great portfolio across a number of states including Arizona, Colorado, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Louisianians can expect a reliable, clean platform with some of the best lines across a huge variety of sports. BetMGM’s ongoing bonuses and contests are sure to generate some buzz, especially with actor Jamie Foxx serving as brand ambassador.
Sports bettors in New York and Connecticut can attest to the reliability of BetRivers, who enjoy a strong following in those states. They were also one of the early sportsbook entries onto the Louisiana sports betting scene.Advertising Disclosure
While the BetRivers sportsbook might not have the big name recognition of a DraftKings or FanDuel, they have a solid sports betting platform that serves as a great alternative to some of the major books in the state.
WynnBET are starting to make a name for themselves in the US sports betting scene, and there’s good reason to believe they’ll be trying to do more of the same in Louisiana. Already a huge force in the world of casinos, WynnBET are translating their expertise to the digital gaming world and attracting thousands of eager sports bettors to their sportsbook.
Having already signed an official partnership in Michigan with the NFL’s Detroit Lions, along with brand ambassador deals with professional athletes like Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson and Tim Howard, look for WynnBET Louisiana to maintain a strong presence in the Bayou State as sports wagering grows.
PointsBet made a splash this summer by signing New Orleans Saints legend Drew Brees as a brand ambassador. The move also served to deepen the brand’s national partnership with NBC Sports, where Brees now works as a broadcaster. Having the NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards and a Super Bowl MVP on board in a multi-year partnership will surely help PointsBet attract new customers when sports betting launches in Louisiana.
New and experienced bettors alike will appreciate the creativity and innovation at PointsBet Sportsbook, as well as well-priced odds and engaging promotions. Louisianans can also try out an entirely new form of waging called PointsBetting!
FOX Bet Louisiana
As a national sportsbook backed by the power of a media giant, FOX Bet is likely looking to move into the pending Louisiana sports betting market. With competitive welcome bonuses for new users, along with ongoing promos tied into FOX Sports, FOX Bet has the potential to attract the massive FOX viewership over to their sportsbook.
Louisiana will allow each casino in the state to hold two online sports betting skins, and with the state lottery also receiving an online license, there could be up to 41 online sportsbooks active in the Bayou State. It’s hard to imagine FOX Bet won’t secure one of these licenses, but we’ll keep you updated with all the latest information.
Louisiana Sports Betting Apps: Everything You Need to Know
Mobile betting apps offer sports fans the convenience of placing a bet from their living room, the sports bar, or the stadium.
The good news is, even though other online gaming options were previously prohibited statewide, Louisiana has legalized mobile sports betting. With up to 41 online licenses available, bettors will see many of the top sportsbooks in the country available in Louisiana. Bet365 also has an excellent sports betting app, new users will have to wait for it to launch in LA to claim a bet365 bonus code.
Here are some of the best sports betting apps in the Louisiana sports betting starting lineup:
|Betting App||Learn More|
|DraftKings LA Sportsbook||Read Review|
|Caesars LA Sportsbook||Read Review|
|FanDuel LA Sportsbook||Read Review|
|Barstool Sportsbook LA||Read Review|
|BetMGM LA Sportsbook||Read Review|
Louisiana Online Sports Betting News and Latest Updates
Check back frequently for the latest updates on legal sports betting in Louisiana.
- January 28, 2022: Online sports betting officially launches in Louisiana. Major American sports betting apps and sites including Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, FanDuel, Barstool Sportsbook, and BetMGM all launched on the first day of legal online sports betting in the state.
- January 26, 2022: The launch date for Louisiana sports betting apps is finally confirmed for Friday, January 28, 2022. While the exact list of sportsbook operators going live on day one isn’t confirmed, major platforms like FanDuel, DraftKings, and Caesars Sportsbook are expected to be ready for launch.
- January 4, 2022: While many people started receiving notifications that online Louisiana sports betting would begin in a week’s time, there is no official indication this is true. Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman Ronnie Johns was quoted saying, “We will roll out multiple licenses hopefully in late January but we are still not completed with compliance issues.”
- December 13, 2021: Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman Ronnie Johns reiterated that January 2022 is the target for launching online Louisiana sports betting. He said, “We’re going to miss most of the football season, but I want to be ready for the Super Bowl at least.”
- November 30, 2021: The Louisiana Gaming Control Board issues four additional retail wagering licenses to Boomtown Bossier City Casino, Golden Nugget Lake Charles Hotel and Casino, L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, and Margaritaville Resort Casino.
- November 11, 2021: The L’Auberge Baton Rouge casino released renderings of the Barstool Sportsbook retail location set to open in Summer of 2022.
- October 29, 2021: Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman Ronnie Johns issues four licenses for in-person sports betting to launch Sunday, October 31 at the following casinos: Harrah’s New Orleans, Horshoe Casino Bossier City, L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, and Boomtown Casino Hotel. Johns also predicts that online sports betting in Louisiana will be live by January 2022.
- October 28, 2021: The DraftKings Sportsbook app has landed in Louisiana with a The renowned sportsbook is expected to be one of the first out of the gate when online sports betting in Louisiana goes live.
- The FanDuel Sportsbook app is also available in Louisiana ahead of the state’s online sports betting launch through an They are expected to be one of the first major sportsbooks to launch when online sports betting in Louisiana goes live.
- October 22, 2021: The Caesars Sportsbook app is officially available in Louisiana before the launch of sports betting in the Bayou State. Ronnie Johns, chairman of the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, expects a statewide launch of retail sports betting by November 1. Online sports betting in Louisiana will likely arrive a few weeks later.
- October 21, 2021: The Louisiana Gaming Control Board approves FanDuel for a daily fantasy sports (DFS) license. This means FanDuel will become the second DFS company to operate legally within the state. DraftKings, meanwhile, received their DFS operating license in July 2021.
- October 19, 2021: Caesars Sportsbook announces that a soft launch in Louisiana will be coming shortly. This cements Caesars Sportsbook Louisiana as one of the top entries into the Bayou State sports betting market when it officially opens up.
- October 6, 2021: Betfred Sports announced an official partnership with the Paragon Casino Resort in Marksville, LA. This deal is expected to usher in retail sports betting in Louisiana, as a brick-and-mortar wagering location will open to the public at 3pm CST on Wednesday, October 6.
- October 1, 2021: Two major sportsbooks officially secured market access in the state of Louisiana, as WynnBET and Caesars Sportsbook announced they’ve been approved in the Bayou State.
- September 27, 2021: Louisiana is on track to launch in-person betting sometime in October 2021. Mobile and online sports wagering is expected to follow in the months after the launch of retail sports betting.
- September 17, 2021: Caesars Sportsbook announced a partnership with the LSU athletics department. Caesars Sportsbook will receive naming rights to the Caesars Sportsbook Skyline Club at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- August 19, 2021: Louisiana Gaming Control Board unanimously adopts emergency Louisiana sports betting rules. The rules will go into effect on August 23 and effective for 180 days, or until permanent rules are adopted. If no permanent rules are adopted Louisiana will not be able to launch on NFL opening day.
- July 23, 2021: Governor John Bel Edwards names Senator Ronnie Johns of Lake Charles as the new chair of the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, an important step towards the launch of legal sports betting in the Pelican State this fall. Senator Johns, a Republican, subsequently resigned from his Senate seat to begin his new position immediately.
- June 22, 2021: With his approval of Senate Bill 247, Governor John Bel Edwards signs sports betting into law. It is to be enacted on July 1, 2021, and will become Act 440.
- June 9, 2021: Louisiana Gaming Control Board Chairman Mike Noel resigned from his position, which could delay the Pelican State’s plans to launch sports betting in September. Final rules and regulations for sports wagering cannot be implemented until the Board has a new leader.
- June 4, 2021: Governor John Bel Edwards signs House Bill 697. It is enacted as Act 80.
- June 3, 2021: Senate Bill 247 was approved by the House by a vote of 78-15. Last-minute amendments will require approval from the Senate before being sent to Governor John Bel Edwards for final approval.
- May 26, 2021: House Bill 697 is sent to the Governor for executive approval. It outlines the tax rate and licensing fee structure for Louisiana sports betting.
- May 11, 2021: Legislators advanced a bill regulating online and retail sports betting. It could be put to a full vote in the Senate later in May or early June. However, both this bill and its companion tax bill must be approved in both chambers before legal wagering can begin.
- February 19, 2021: After more than a two-year wait, the Louisiana Gaming Control Board begins accepting applications for daily fantasy sports operator licenses. The approval process will reportedly take 60 to 90 days.
- November 3, 2020: Voters approve of sports betting in 56 of 64 Louisiana parishes on Election Day.
Where You Can’t Bet on Sports in Louisiana
With sports betting signed into law in June 2021, online sports betting officially launched on January 28, 2022.
The table below shows the eight parishes where sports betting is currently not permitted, their populations, and the percentage of voters who voted “yes” to sports betting.
It has been suggested that geofencing technology will be used to restrict people from betting when physically within a parish where sports betting is not authorized.
Furthermore, as not every parish that approved sports betting has its own casino, Republican Senator Cameron Henry, who sponsored SB 130, hinted that sports betting might not be limited to casinos or online in the future. Senator Henry told Fox 8 he sees “bars and restaurants really teaming up with in-state or out-of-state companies to say we’re going to be responsible for allowing your customers to do sports wagering.”
Louisiana Retail Sportsbooks: Wagering In-Person at Casinos
Online sports betting is typically the most convenient way to wager, but visiting a casino and placing your bets in-person has its own unique appeal. Watching the action unfold on the sportsbook floor can be exhilarating, especially during major events like the Super Bowl, March Madness, and the NBA playoffs.
For those who want to enjoy the brick-and-mortar wagering experience, Louisiana has more than 20 casinos and several horse racing tracks, or racinos. They are scattered all around the state, so you’re likely never more than a couple of hours’ drive from a retail betting location. Even if you do most of your betting online, you don’t want to miss out on the full southern riverboat casino experience.
Find the full name, address, and hours of operation of Louisiana’s 23 casinos below. Unsurprisingly, all of these casinos are in parishes that supported sports betting. Therefore, each of these casinos will likely be licensed for retail sports betting in the near future.
|Amelia Belle Casino||500 Lake Palourde Rd, Amelia, LA 70340||Daily: 9am to 3am|
|Belle of Baton Rouge||103 France St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802||Open 24/7|
|Boomtown Casino & Hotel Bossier City||300 Riverside Dr, Bossier City, LA 71111||Daily: 9am to 3am|
|Boomtown Casino New Orleans||4132 Peters Rd, Harvey, LA 70058||Daily: 8am to 5am|
|Coushatta Casino Resort||777 Coushatta Dr, Kinder, LA 70648||Open 24/7|
|Cypress Bayou Casino||832 Martin Luther King Rd, Charenton, LA 70523||Daily: 10am to 2am|
|Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino||2717 Delta Downs Dr, Vinton, LA 70668||Open 24/7|
|Eldorado Resort Casino Shreveport||451 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101||Open 24/7|
|Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino||2235 Creswell Ln, Opelousas, LA 70570||Open 24/7|
|Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots||1751 Gentilly Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70119||Monday to Saturday: 9am to 12am
Sunday: 10am to 12am
|Golden Nugget Lake Charles||2550 Golden Nugget Blvd, Lake Charles, LA 70601||Open 24/7|
|Harrah’s Louisiana Downs||8000 E Texas St, Bossier City, LA 71111||Open 24/7|
|Harrah’s New Orleans||8 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130||Open 24/7|
|Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge||1717 River Rd North, Baton Rouge, LA 70802||Open 24/7|
|Horseshoe Bossier City Hotel & Casino||711 Horseshoe Blvd, Bossier City, LA 71111||Open 24/7|
|Isle of Capri Casino Lake Charles||100 Westlake Avenue Westlake, LA 70669||Open 24/7|
|Jena Choctaw Pines Casino||149 Chahta Trails, Dry Prong, LA 71423||Open 24/7|
|L’Auberge Casino & Hotel Baton Rouge||777 L’Auberge Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70820||Open 24/7|
|L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles||777 Ave L’Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601||Open 24/7|
|Margaritaville Resort Casino||777 Margaritaville Way, Bossier City, LA 71111||Open 24/7|
|Paragon Casino Resort||711 Paragon Pl, Marksville, LA 71351||Open 24/7|
|Sam’s Town Hotel & Casino Shreveport||315 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101||Sunday to Thursday: 8am to 2am
Friday: 8am to 12am
Saturday: Open 24 hours
|Treasure Chest Casino||5050 Williams Blvd, Kenner, LA 70065||Sunday to Monday: 8am to 2am
Friday & Saturday: 8am to 3am
*Hours are subject to change due to COVID-19
Sports Betting Dime will provide status updates as they become available.
Louisiana Sports Betting Rules & Restrictions
Now that sports betting has been legalized in Louisiana, there are some key rules and regulations sports bettors should be aware of. Here’s what we know so far:
- You will not need to be a Louisiana resident to wager with LA sportsbooks
- You must be at least 21 years old to gamble
- You must be physically located within Louisiana when placing a wager (geolocation will be required when betting online)
- Remote registration will be permitted
- College sports betting will be allowed
Licenses and Taxes: The Business of LA Sports Betting
Louisiana has taken a progressive approach to legal sports betting. Here’s what we know about the business end of the state’s regulatory framework so far.
- Sportsbook operators will be charged a tax rate of 10 percent on retail sports wagering and 15 percent on online betting
- There will be up to 41 online sports betting licenses available
We expect more information to become available.
Local Louisiana Teams Worth Betting On
Fun fact: Louisiana holds the distinction of being the least populous American state with more than one professional sports team. Get ready to place a legal bet at a Louisiana sportsbook by researching these three local teams:
New Orleans Pelicans
The New Orleans Pelicans qualified for the NBA playoffs for the first time since 2018 last season. Despite a first-round loss to the Phoenix Suns, the Pelicans continue to show promise with an exciting young roster led by Zion Williamson (along with his new five-year deal) and Brandon Ingram. Look for them to continue their upward trajectory in the NBA’s competitive Western Conference.
New Orleans Saints
After not qualifying for the NFL playoffs last season, the New Orleans Saints made some solid offseason moves to help bolster their roster. The Saints signed Super Bowl champion and three-time Pro Bowl safety Tyrann Mathieu and also drafted wide receiver Chris Olave from Ohio State to help give quarterback Jameis Winston a great young target he can pass to.
After winning the College Football Playoff National Championship during the 2019 season, the LSU Tigers football team have struggled a little bit to stay as competitive as they once were. That said, LSU has secured five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown to play for the team so it could be an exciting year on offense. It’s also important to note that Louisiana is one of a handful of states that allows in-state college sports betting.
Betting with your head and not your heart is the foundation of responsible gambling. That said, Sports Betting Dime understands it’s natural for fans to want to wager on their favorite teams.
Our comprehensive betting tools and editorial coverage are here to help you make informed wagers no matter which teams you support.
Visit SBD Sharp to find detailed return on investment data for any NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, or college football and basketball teams.
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK LA
GET UP TO $1,050 IN BONUSES
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK LA
BET $10 WIN $200 IF ANYONE SCORES A TD!
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK LA
FIRST BET ON CAESARS UP TO $1,250 + 1,000 TIER CREDITS AND 1,000 REWARD CREDITS®
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK LA
NO SWEAT FIRST BET UP TO $1,000!
Legal Sports Betting in Louisiana: How We Got Here
The vast majority of Louisiana voters approved of sports betting in a referendum in November 2020. As a result, legal sportsbooks launched in the state on January 28, 2022.
The question posed to voters was straightforward:
“Shall sports wagering activities and operations be permitted in the parish of _____________?”
The ballot measure passed overwhelmingly in 56 of 64 parishes, meaning bettors are able to bet on sports in those areas. Notably, sports betting received more voter support than daily fantasy sports (DFS) did in a similar 2018 referendum, which passed in 47 parishes.
The parishes where the referendum did not pass will not allow sports betting and likely will not be able to take advantage of the state revenue collected either. Those eight parishes are:
- West Carroll
Approximately 125,000 people live in parishes where sports betting is currently not authorized.
The infographic below shows areas of Louisiana where sports betting will be legalized and the parishes that will not permit the activity at this time.
There are more than 20 casinos that will presumably seek licenses to offer sports betting within Louisiana. Online operators such as DraftKings and FanDuel donated $250,000 each to the legalization campaign (Louisiana Wins) and launched promptly on day one of legal online sports betting in the state.
Louisiana Sports Betting Bill
Obtaining voter support was a critical step in the process of legalizing sports betting in Louisiana. However, before any legal wagering began, lawmakers needed to spell out specific rules and regulations for the sports betting industry, such as licensing procedures, tax rates, platforms and bet types permitted, etc.
When the Louisiana state legislature resumed in April 2021, lawmakers acted swiftly to answer these questions. Two bills setting up rules and taxation structures for sports wagering have been signed into Louisiana sports betting law by Governor John Bel Edwards. Both retail and online sports betting have now launched in the state.
Louisiana Sports Betting History
Gambling has been taking place in Louisiana for hundreds of years, long before they were part of the United States and even during times when laws were technically against it.
Casinos have long been prevalent in the state and betting on horse races was made legal in the 1920s. The state lottery returned in 1990, and soon after, the state legalized 15 riverboat casinos and the use of video poker machines in places like restaurants, bars, convenience stores, and even truck stops.
The American Gaming Association estimates gambling has an annual economic impact of $6.1 billion in Louisiana.
Ever since the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was overturned by the Supreme Court on May 14, 2018—allowing each state to create its own laws and regulations for sports wagering—Louisiana lawmakers were busy in their attempts to bring legalized sports betting to the Pelican State.
Two alternate Senate bills were considered before SB 130 was signed by Gov. John Bel Edwards on June 11, 2020. Once signed, the bill became Act No. 215, which authorized putting sports betting to a parish-by-parish referendum vote on the November 2020 ballot. The vote passed in the vast majority of parishes, paving the way for a Louisiana mobile sports betting launch on January 28, 2022.
Louisiana Sports Betting FAQs
Need more information? Here are some key Louisiana sports betting FAQs that we have answers for.
Can you bet on sports in Louisiana?
Online and retail sports betting are both available in Louisiana.
Will mobile sports betting be allowed in Louisiana?
Yes, Louisiana's sports betting bills allowed for mobile sports betting, which launched on January 28, 2022.
How many casinos are in Louisiana?
There are 20 state-regulated casinos and three tribal casinos in Louisiana. Many of these are inside re-purposed riverboats, and all are in parishes that supported sports betting.
How much revenue will sports betting raise in Louisiana?
A comprehensive report commissioned by the State of Louisiana projects sports betting could generate between $237 million and $332 million in revenue annually. With a tax rate ranging from 10 to 15 percent, the state could generate upwards of $40-50 million in tax revenue each year.
Which pro sports teams play in Louisiana?
The biggest and most popular sports teams in Louisiana are the NBA’s New Orleans Pelicans and the NFL’s New Orleans Saints.
Is sports betting be legal in Louisiana?
Yes, online and retail sports betting are now legal in Louisiana.
Can you bet on college sports from Louisiana?
Louisiana is one of a handful states to allow college sports betting for football, basketball, baseball, and more. That means fans in the region can place bets on NCAA teams like the LSU Tigers, Tulane Green Wave, and Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns.
Find the Best Place to Bet on Sports
Sports Betting Dime is here to help you bet with confidence. Our expert reviewers have spent countless hours evaluating the best online sportsbook options and bonuses. You can find comprehensive sportsbook reviews and guidance on how to pick the best one for you with our list of top online betting sites.
Wondering where else you can bet on sports in America? Our sports betting legal tracker will keep you up to date with the latest sports betting news on a state-by-state basis so you’ll know when, where, and how to place your bets.
Enjoy the action out there!