Sports fans in the state of Ohio can now place their first legal wagers!
Ohio sports betting has officially been legalized, with retail and online wagering now live. With a maximum of 25 sports betting licenses up for grabs that could allow a maximum of 50 online sports betting operators, Ohio will be one of the largest wagering markets in the country.
The huge number of Ohio online sportsbooks that launched on January 1, 2023 provide a massive opportunity for new sports bettors. Downloading the best Ohio online sportsbooks and registering a new account is the only way to unlock the best promos in the industry.
We’re keeping this page updated with info on the best Ohio sports betting apps and the best promos available for March Madness and more. The MLB season is starting up, and betting on the Cleveland Guardians with these Ohio sportsbooks will ramp up all the action this year.
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK OH
GET $1,050 IN BONUSES!
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK OH
BET $5 & GET $200 IN BONUS BETS INSTANTLY!
- BET365 SPORTSBOOK OH
BET $1 & GET $365 IN BONUS BETS!
- CAESARS SPORTSOOK OH
GET UP TO $1,000 BACK - ON CAESARS!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK OH
FIRST BET OFFER: UP TO $1,500 PAID BACK
- TIPICO SPORTSBOOK
GET $250 IN BONUS FUNDS!
- BETFRED SPORTSBOOK OH
GET UP TO $1,111 IN FRED BETS!
Note: Must be 21+ & present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.
Get ready for Ohio sports betting with this comprehensive scouting report.
Jump to: Ohio Sports Betting Apps / Ohio Sports Betting Overview / When Will Online Sports Betting Be Legal in Ohio? / Ohio Sports Betting Updates & Latest News / Ohio Online Sportsbook Promo Codes: Sign-Up Offers for Opening Day / Ohio Sports Betting FAQs
Best Ohio Sports Betting Apps
DraftKings has gone from daily fantasy powerhouse to one of the best options for legal US sports betting. Expect great promos and one of the smoothest betting apps out there.Promo: Bet $5 Get $200 + A No Sweat SGP Everyday This Season
An established name making its way into new markets, Bet365 delivers a huge range of betting options for all sports, with a special emphasis on soccer and tennis.Promo: Bet $1, Get $365
FanDuel has built on their daily fantasy success with a flawless betting app and excellent online sportsbook. Find a superior live betting experience and lots of features for new bettors.Promo: Bet $5 Get $200 in Bonus Bets
Caesars brings ultimate flexibility to the world of online sports betting with tons of banking options, competitive odds on all major sports, and few restrictions when it comes to constructing parlays.Promo: $1,000 First Bet on Caesars
BetMGM brings the famed casino brand online with a top-notch betting app and online sportsbook with great odds, exciting parlays, and odds boosts.Promo: $1,500 Paid Back in Bonus Bets
This Australian brand is taking the US market by storm with a new way to bet spreads, totals, and props. Try PointsBetting for something entirely new or find great odds on traditional wagers.Promo: 10 x $100 Second Chance Bets
Betway makes it easy to get started and then keeps you there with its huge selection and numerous ways to bet. With some of the best promos you'll find at any sportsbook, Betway is a fantastic platform to wager with.Bonus: $250 First Bet Reset
SuperBook Sports has been operating since 1993, brining a unique approach to live betting. New customers signing up with the SuperBook sportsbook are eligible to claim their best promo code.Promo: $250 Every First Bet Wins Bonus
With over 50 years of experience, Betfred is one of the world's most renowned bookmakers. They're expanding across the US sports betting market, bringing a top-notch online sportsbook and mobile app along with them.Bonus: $500 Risk-Free Bet
With 25 Type A sports betting licenses that will allow for up to 50 online sportsbooks, Ohio is now one of the hottest wagering markets in the entire country.
Major operators like DraftKings, FanDuel, and Bet365 were ready for launch day on January 1, and other US betting sites like Bally Bet have made it clear that they want to make some noise in this emerging market.
Numerous sportsbooks have signed partnerships to secure Ohio sports betting market access. For example, Caesars Sportsbook Ohio has a deal in place with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Bally Bet Ohio has an official partnership with the Cleveland Browns. Other sports betting sites like BetMGM and PENN National Gaming own local Ohio casinos, giving them automatic market access in the Buckeye State.
Here is a list of all the key OH sportsbook apps, their launch date, app platforms, and official partnerships granting market access.
|OH Sportsbook App||Launch Date||Available On||Partnerships|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Hollywood Casino Toledo|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Belterra Park Gaming & Entertainment Center|
|Caesars Sportsbook Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Scioto Downs Racino, Cleveland Cavaliers|
|BetMGM Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||MGM Northfield Park|
|Bally Bet Ohio||TBD||iOS, Android||Cleveland Browns|
|Bet365 Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Cleveland Guardians|
|SuperBook Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||FC Cincinnati|
|Tipico Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Columbus Crew|
|Betfred Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Cincinnati Bengals|
|PointsBet Ohio||Jan. 1, 2023||iOS, Android||Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course|
We’re keeping a close eye on a potential launch of ESPN BET in the Ohio sports betting market. ESPN BET is expected to launch in Nov. 2023, and they would bring a lucrative ESPN BET promo code to the Buckeye State if authorized to launch.
A household name in the sports betting world, DraftKings Ohio was ready on day one of wagering in the Buckeye State. The state launched online sports betting on January 1, 2023 and there was never any doubt that DraftKings wouldn’t be available on launch day for new sports bettors. DraftKings Sportsbook is offering a to anyone who registers as a new user.
New customers will love everything the DraftKings Ohio mobile app has to offer. With bold branding, easy to navigate menus, and betting options for all your favorite sports, fans will love DraftKings now that it’s live in Ohio. Make sure you claim a DraftKings promo code to get their best bonus offers like same-game parlays and odds boosts.
Another massive sports sportsbook operator that went live on the first day of online wagering in the Buckeye State was FanDuel Ohio. With so many sportsbook apps having launched in the state, FanDuel Ohio is bringing a great promo to new customers:
FanDuel Ohio went through the sports betting licensing process during the summer of 2022 in order to prepare for the official launch at the end of the year. FanDuel Ohio may also open a retail sports betting location somewhere in the Buckeye State, and we’re keeping this page updated with all the latest information. The FanDuel Ohio app is available for Android and iOS devices on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store, but using our exclusive links to download the app will automatically apply the best FanDuel promo code.
Caesars Sportsbook Ohio
Having signed an official sports betting partnership with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Caesars Sportsbook Ohio was one of the first sportsbooks to launch in the Buckeye State. Caesars Sportsbook will open a retail sportsbook at the Cavs’ arena (Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse), and they’ve already been approved to offer mobile betting across the state. They’re offering as their main Ohio bonus.
Caesars Sportsbook Ohio became available as soon as online Ohio sports betting launched at 12:01am ET on January 1, 2023. With a 4.6/5 star rating on the app store, Ohio bettors will love everything the Caesars Sportsbook app has to offer, including their top-notch Caesars Sportsbook promo code.
The BetMGM sportsbook is a platform powered by MGM Resorts International and Entain plc, and BetMGM Ohio was one of the first sports betting sites available when Ohio wagering went online. Ohioan sports bettors can also now claim their main promo of
As a sportsbook backed by two of the biggest names in gaming, BetMGM Ohio will be a safe, reliable, and fun sports betting platform for rookie sports bettors and seasoned sharps alike. Make sure you use our exclusive links to apply the latest BetMGM promo code on your mobile device.
SuperBook Sports Ohio
Established in 1993, SuperBook Sports offers accurate real-time odds and a focus on live betting, priding themselves on a unique platform that’s now available in the Buckeye State. Partnered with the FC Cincinnati team from the MLS soccer league, SuperBook Sports Ohio is looking to make a name for themselves in this massive market.
Use the exclusive links on this page to register with SuperBook Ohio and get up to a $1,000 bonus on first signup that’s available to all new users.
As an international provider for sports wagering, the Tipico Ohio sportsbook brings their expertise to the Buckeye State now that wagering has officially launched. Partnering with the Columbus Crew MLS team, Tipico Ohio sets themselves apart with unique promos and a platform some US sports bettors may be unfamiliar with.
The best offer available from Tipico Ohio is a promo code that new users can claim right now. Available on iOS and Android devices with 4.4-star and 4.5-star ratings respectively, the Tipico sportsbook app will be reliable and popular across the Buckeye State.
Branded as the “World’s Favorite Sportsbook,” Ohio sports bettors will be able to judge for themselves now that the Bet365 sportsbook has launched across the state.
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
GET $365CLAIM OFFER
New Customer Offer. Bet $1 and Get $365 in Bet Credits at bet365. Deposit required. Bet Credits wager excluded from returns. T&Cs, time limits and exclusions apply.
Having partnered with the MLB’s Cleveland Guardians, Buckeye sports bettors will likely see even more of Bet365 Ohio once baseball season rolls around again. For now, new customers can claim a Click through to get a Bet365 bonus code automatically applied to access this exclusive welcome offer.
Deposit required. Bet Credits wager excluded from returns. T&Cs, time limits and exclusions apply. 21+ and present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
Founded in the UK and operating since 1967, Betfred offers over 50 years of experience to Ohio sports bettors, 2023. As official sports betting partners of the Cincinnati Bengals, Betfred Ohio is eager to make their mark on the emerging wagering scene in the Buckeye State.
New customers can sign up with Betfred Ohio and claim a massive promo: This Betfred Ohio promo is available right now.
Partnering with Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course, PointsBet Ohio was ready for day one of Ohio online sports betting. You can register with PointsBet Ohio right now and claim their top promo:
While they might be one of the lesser known names on this list, PointsBet Ohio will be one of the best choices for Ohio sports bettors now that wagering is underway. Hit the links above to claim the top promo from PointsBet Ohio.
Bally Bet Ohio
As sportsbooks ramp up to launch in the Buckeye State, Bally Bet Ohio is already making their presence felt in this emerging sports betting market. Bally Bet Ohio signed a multi-year partnership with the NFL’s Cleveland Browns.
The official partnership between Bally Bet Ohio and the Browns is a clear indication that this sportsbook will look to compete with other big names like DraftKings and FanDuel. We’re keeping this page updated with all the latest information on Ohio sports betting partnerships and what it means for sportsbook apps in the Buckeye State.
Laying some money down on your favorite sports is the best way to get closer to the action. Having your skin in the game makes even the most minor of plays that much more exciting. Placing your first legal sports bet in Ohio is an exhilarating experience as long as you’re betting responsibly. Sports Betting Dime is here to help you bet with confidence using our expert tips and Ohio online sportsbook recommendations.
We know getting yourself game-ready after being stuck on the sidelines might feel a bit intimidating at first. So, let’s warm up with some basics of legal sports wagering in Ohio.
- Sports Betting Legalization: Legalized
- Official Launch Date: January 1, 2023
- Platforms: Retail and online
- Number of Licenses: 25 Type A licenses, up to 50 sportsbooks
- Live Sportsbooks: DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM
- Ohio Legal Gambling Age Requirement: 21+
Sports betting in Ohio was officially legalized in late 2021 and launched across the Buckeye State on January 1, 2023.
There will be up to a maximum of 50 Ohio online sportsbooks operating, as 25 Type A licenses are up for grabs. Though there weren’t this many on launch day, we’re keeping this page updated with all the latest news on future Ohio sportsbook apps set to launch. Sportsbooks like DraftKings, FanDuel, and Bet365 were ready for day one. Ohio sports bettors must be 21 or older to place legal wagers.
Governor Mike DeWine signed the bills to legalize Ohio online sports betting on December 22, 2021.
While the Buckeye State didn’t have sports betting in 2022, that changed on January 1, 2023. Progress really started to get underway when the state reached an agreement on the Ohio sports betting bill in December 2021.
Sports betting in Ohio officially launched on January 1, 2023.
Governor Mike DeWine was a major proponent of sports betting legalization, previously stating he wanted to see legislation passed by November 2020. That didn’t happen, but there was continued reason to be optimistic as the Ohio Select Committee on Gaming listed June 30, 2021, as the target date for approval of a 2021 Ohio sports betting bill. Again, that didn’t happen.
OH sports betting was officially legalized on December 22, 2021.
Luckily if you’re an Ohio sports bettor, you’re also surrounded by neighboring states which have already launched sports betting as well. Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia all offer legal sports betting. The latest state to join those ranks are NY sports betting apps that are now live.
With a mobile sports betting app, your sportsbook is accessible right from the palm of your hand. No trips to a casino or retail location are necessary—you can bet from anywhere at any time.
Based on the bill proposed by the Ohio Select Committee on Gaming in 2021, mobile betting in Ohio is now a reality. SB 176 was approved on December 22, 2021.
Now that the bill has passed, Ohio authorized up to 50 operating licenses—each of which allow for legal online sports betting partnerships.
With that in mind, here are some of the top sports betting apps in the Ohio sportsbook app starting lineup that arrived on launch day on January 1, 2023:
FanDuel SportsbookFanDuel Sportsbook Review
|DraftKings Sportsbook||DraftKings Sportsbook Review|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Caesars Sportsbook Review|
|Bally Bet||Bally Bet Review|
|SuperBook Sports||SuperBook Review|
We’ll update the list above as more information becomes available.
Keep up to speed with the latest news as Ohio lawmakers push to legalize sports betting. Here’s a quick recap of what’s happened recently.
- January 1, 2023: Ohio sports betting officially launched in the Buckeye State with sportsbooks such as DraftKings, Barstool Sportsbook, FanDuel, Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, and more all going live at 12:01am EST.
- December 27, 2022: With the launch of Ohio sports betting just days away, the Ohio Casino Control Commission sent out a warning to stakeholders to adhere to advertising regulations for wagering in the Buckeye State. The Ohio gambling commission stated they are already seeing violations of stakeholders targeting underage bettors in their marketing, along with a lack of responsible gambling messaging. The Ohio Casino Control Commission warned they would levy administrative action against sports betting operators if these rules aren’t adhered to for launch day and beyond.
- December 14, 2022: The Ohio Casino Control Commission held their final meeting before wagering goes live on Jan. 1, 2023. Despite rumors of a potential early go-live date to get betting online in time for the Peach Bowl game between Ohio State and Georgia, the Commission clarified the Jan. 1 launch time at 12:01am will remain in place. The meeting had a few other points of interest, as Executive Director Matt Schuler reported that PENN Entertainment and the Barstool Sportsbook is facing a $250,000 fine for alleged advertisements targeting colleges and individuals under the age of 21 in Ohio. Additionally, Bally Bet, Underdog Fantasy, Out the Gate, and Digital Gaming Corp. all received online sports betting provider licenses.
- November 18, 2022: Jake Paul’s sports betting platform ‘Betr’ is officially set to launch in Ohio. The Ohio Casino Control Commission granted conditional approval to Betr as an online sports betting provider for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Village. This is the first online sports betting license for Betr, who could debut when Ohio wagering launches on Jan. 1, 2023.
- October 18, 2022: With the Fubo Sportsbook shutting down all operations, the Cleveland Cavaliers are now left without a mobile management service provider as part of their Type A online sports betting application. The Cleveland Cavaliers have less than two weeks to name a new mobile management service provider to the Ohio Casino Control Commission.
- October 5, 2022: The first set of Ohio online sports betting operators have been approved for the Jan. 1, 2023 launch date. The Ohio Casino Control Commission unanimously approved PointsBet, Caesars Sportsbook, Betfred, bet365, and SuperBook Sports as “mobile management service providers.” Meanwhile, Ohio Casino Control Commission Executive Director Matt Schuler had some complaints with applicants bombarding his staff, saying “My advice to the licensing division is that every time an applicant calls, they should be moved to the bottom of the pile.”
- September 21, 2022: More Ohio sports betting license approvals continue to roll in, with a huge new list of approved operators and sportsbook partners. Sportsbooks like FanDuel, Barstool Sportsbook, Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, all received Type A licenses through their casino partners, while the Bengals, Guardians, Blue Jackets, and Cavaliers also received conditional approval on their sports betting licenses applications.
- September 8, 2022: The first OH sports betting license approvals have officially started to arrive. The Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Reds, and Columbus Crew teams have all received conditional approval for their Ohio online sports betting license applications.
- August 15, 2022: Supermarket giant Kroger is entering the Ohio sports betting application process, as the grocery retailer has submitted 42 Type C applications to the Ohio Casino Control Commission. A total of 633 different applications for OH sports betting kiosks have now been submitted.
- August 11, 2022: Betr, a new micro-betting platform backed by Jake Paul, has signed a 10-year partnership with Hall of Fame Resort & Entertainment to become their official mobile sports-betting provider. Betr now has Ohio online sports betting market access ahead of the Jan. 1, 2023 launch date.
- August 3, 2022: Ohio online sports betting will officially become available at midnight on Jan. 1, 2023. Executive Director for the Ohio Casino Control Commission Matt Schuler commented, “Once the ball drops in Times Square, sports betting can commence.”
- July 22, 2022: Applications for Type B Ohio sports betting licenses are continuing to roll in despite not being guaranteed a Jan. 1, 2023 launch date. Interestingly, the SPIRE Institute in Ashtabula County (which caters to youth athletes) has applied for a license. Advisor Rachel Winder commented “If SPIRE is granted a license, all gaming operations will be strictly off campus, independently operated, separate from the athletic facility and properly secured.” The SPIRE Institute and Academy has applied under Geneva Sports LLC along with the Out the Gate sports betting management provider.
- July 21, 2022: With the initial application window for Ohio online sports betting licenses now closed, the Ohio Casino Control Commission assured state residents the licensing procedure would not be of the “rubber stamp” kind. Matt Schuler, Executive Director for the Ohio Casino Control Commission, explained that each applicant’s submission would be thoroughly reviewed before a final decision is made.
- July 18, 2022: The final week of initial OH sports betting licensing saw a flood of new applications as potential operators prepare for the Jan. 1, 2023 launch dates. The Cleveland Guardians, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cincinnati Reds, Columbus Blue Jacks, FC Cincinnati, and Columbus Crew all submitted their applications for pro sports betting partnerships, while the final list of 22 Type A applicants was revealed by the Ohio Casino Control Commission.
- July 15, 2022: The Cincinnati Bengals announced an official partnership with Betfred Sportsbook ahead of the Jan. 1, 2023 launch date. Betfred has announced they will launch on day one of online sports betting. The initial window of OH sports betting applications has now closed, and any applicants received after the deadline may not be processed in time for operators to launch on Jan. 1, 2023.
- July 9, 2022: Three more operators have submitted their applications to the OH sports betting licensing process. The Cincinnati Bengals and FanDuel Sportsbook applied for a Type A license from the Ohio Casino Control Commission. Meanwhile, the Michael Rubin owned Fanatics Sportsbook applied for an online sports betting service provider license.
- July 1, 2022: The Ohio Casino Control Commission received three more sports betting applications ahead of the July 15 deadline. Penn Interactive (Barstool Sportsbook) applied for a mobile management service provider license. The Hall of Fame Village, a resort and entertainment company that’s partnered with Rush Street Interactive (BetRivers), applied for a Type A (online) and Type B (retail) Ohio sports betting license. Finally, Elys Gameboard Technologies applied for the first Type C (kiosk) sports betting license in the Buckeye State.
- June 27, 2022: DraftKings and betJACK are the latest operators to apply for an OH sports betting license. The Ohio Casino Control Commission confirmed a “Mobile Management Services Provider” application from Crown Ohio Gaming LLC (associated with DraftKings). They also announced applications from JACK Cleveland Casino and JACK Thistledown Racino, which are associated with the betJACK mobile betting app.
- June 20, 2022: The application process is officially underway for potential OH sports betting operators. PointsBet and BetMGM both submitted “Mobile Management Service Provider” applications, which would enable these sportsbooks to partner with a Type A license holder and be one of two online sports betting skins for the license holder. The Ohio Casino Control Commission will update its list of applicants every Friday up until July 15.
- June 1, 2022: Ohio online sports betting will officially launch on January 1, 2023. Ohio Casino Control Commission Executive Director Matt Schuler was quoted saying Jan. 1, 2023, will represent the “largest ever simultaneous launch of sports betting in the United States.”
- May 18, 2022: Despite indications it may be up and running in time for the early NFL season, OH sports betting will likely launch closer to the end of the year. The Ohio Casino Control Commission has indicated a launch date closer to, if not on, January 1, 2023 is more likely.
- May 10, 2022: During a radio appearance on News-Talk 1480 WHBC, Sen. Kirk Schuring said Ohio sports betting might fully launch in mid-late fall, 2022. Sen. Schuring said the state is seeking a “universal start time” for all OH sports betting operators to launch their platforms at the same time.
- May 4, 2022: Operators seeking type A, B, and C sports betting licenses in Ohio can start applying on June 15, with a July 15 deadline set by the Casino Control Commission. These licenses typically take between 30-60 days for review in other states, and if that same timeline applies in Ohio, sports betting could launch in the Buckeye State in time for the start of the NFL season.
- April 26, 2022: Bally’s Interactive announced a multi-year sports betting partnership with the Cleveland Browns. Bally Bet will officially have Ohio online sports betting market access when it launches later in 2022, along with a branded Bally Bet Sportsbook lounge within FirstEnergy Stadium.
- March 16, 2022: The Ohio Casino Control Commission passes the second set of Ohio sports betting rules. Three more batches of sports betting rules must be approved before sports betting in Ohio gets the green light. Operators will begin applying by late summer/early fall of 2022, and OH sports betting must launch by January 1, 2023 at the latest.
- February 24, 2022: Caesars Entertainment announces partnership with NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers. Caesars Sportsbook will open a retail sportsbook at the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse once regulatory approval is passed.
- January 24, 2022: The Ohio Casino Control Commission released the first set of proposed sports betting rules and regulations, however wagering is not expected to start in time for the beginning of the 2022-23 NFL season. The rules mainly cover provisional license fees, with various sports betting licenses costing up to $15,000 for a one-year term.
- December 8, 2021: The OH sports betting bill has been approved. The Ohio betting bill includes online sports betting, retail betting at casinos, stadiums, and bars. Sports betting is expected to start sometime in 2022.
- December 6, 2021: Ohio Senator Kirk Schuring confirmed that an agreement has been reached on the Ohio sports betting bill. It is expected to be approved by a conference committee before going to the House and Senate floors later in the week. Sports betting in Ohio will be made available no later than January 1, 2023.
- November 15, 2021: During another weekly update, Ohio State Senator Kirk Schuring said the conference committee might approve the state sports betting bill soon. If HB 29 is approved and signed by Gov. Mike DeWine, it would have to wait 90 days before going into effect.
- October 25, 2021: Ohio Sen. Kirk Schuring said a conference committee could vote on the Ohio sports betting bill in the following week. Sports betting license applications could begin in February if the OH sports betting bill receives approval from the US House and Senate governments.
- October 6, 2021: With Ohio’s current legislative season set to end on December 31, lawmakers are still in the thick of determining issues like license allocation in an attempt to revive House Bill 29. In any event, sports betting in Ohio will not be ready in time for the 2022 Super Bowl.
- June 30, 2021: Lawmakers miss their self-imposed deadline for passing sports betting legislation. Lawmakers plan to consider the bill when they return from summer break, meaning the legalization of sports betting in Ohio is now pushed back until the fall.
- June 29, 2021: A hail-mary attempt to include sports betting on House Bill 29 fails, as the bill was unanimously rejected.
- June 16, 2021: Ohio’s sports betting bill, SB 176, is approved by the Senate in a resounding 30-2 vote. It will now be sent to the House for consideration.
- June 15, 2021: The Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming approves significant changes to the state’s sports betting bill and unanimously advances it to the Senate.
- June 11, 2021: A total of 45 amendments are proposed to Ohio’s sports betting legislation. Committee members plan to wrap them up in an “omnibus amendment” ahead of a hearing on June 15.
- May 26, 2021: The Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming hold a third hearing on Senate Bill 176. Minor adjustments are suggested and members of the committee continue to mention June 30, 2021, as the target date for approval of sports betting.
- May 12, 2021: Senate Bill 176 was introduced in the Ohio state legislature by Republican Senators Niraj Antani and Nathan Manning. If passed, the bill will legalize sports betting across the Buckeye State.
Ohio Sports Betting Bill
The bill that ultimately legalized sports betting in Ohio was HB 29, which was initially unrelated to wagering, and instead was drafted to issue Veteran ID cards in the state.
A separate piece of legislation, SB 176, was designed to legalize sports betting specifically. When it became clear that SB 176 would not receive a House hearing, Sen. Schuring moved the infrastructure of SB 176 onto the framework of HB 29. Once HB 29 passed through the legislative process, sports betting in Ohio was officially legalized.
Highlights of the Ohio sports betting bill:
- All sports betting revenue taxed at 10%, with 2% of taxes going towards problem gambling assistance.
- 25 Type A mobile sports betting licenses that could ultimately allow for up to 50 sportsbook skins in Ohio. Professional sports teams and casinos can apply for a second sportsbook skin, however, they must demonstrate an economic benefit to the state in order to partner with a second sports betting site.
- 40 Type B retail sports betting licenses with strict location requirements. Brick-and-mortar Ohio sportsbooks cannot be placed in a county with less than 50,000 residents, and preference is given to professional sports leagues and teams to receive a Type B license.
- Type C licenses that will allow Class D liquor-licensed businesses to establish sports betting kiosks.
As per law, OH sports betting had to launch before January 1, 2023 now that wagering is officially legal in the Buckeye State.
Get ready to see a lot more sports betting advertisements in Ohio. Don’t worry, they’re more interesting than insurance and pharmaceutical commercials.
While you may be inclined to dismiss all the noise, we have one very important set piece for your playbook:
Making the most of sign-up offers is an essential part of sports betting strategy
Sportsbooks reserve their biggest promos for new customers, and the best sign-up offers generally come in the first weeks after legal sports betting launches in a new state. Ohio sportsbook promos including welcome bonuses give your bankroll a nice boost when you go to place your first legal wager in Ohio.
Sports Betting Dime will bring you the best offers available through our partnerships with premier online sportsbooks.
How to Place a Bet With an Ohio Online Sportsbook
Placing a wager with an Ohio online sportsbook is simple, and in most cases, registering to do so will unlock a tremendous sign-up promo. Equipped with a promo from your sportsbook of choice, you can easily bet on Ohio sports teams such as the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, and Cleveland Cavaliers. It’s quite simply the best way to place wagers on your favorite Ohio sports teams and other big sporting events.
There are a few simple steps you need to take before placing a wager with an Ohio online sportsbook:
- Complete the registration process with an Ohio sportsbook
- Fund your Ohio sportsbook app account with one of many payment options
- Place your first wager with an Ohio sports betting site
Let’s dive a little deeper into each of these processes.
Register With an Ohio Sports Betting Site
The first step to place a bet with an Ohio sportsbook is completing the registration process with a legal sports betting site. They will ask you for personal information like full name, residential address, email address, phone number, a created user name, and last four digits of your social security number. Rest assured, your personal details are 100% secure with legal Ohio sportsbooks.
Signing up with an Ohio sports betting site will automatically unlock a lucrative welcome bonus. While the value of this sign-up promo will differ at each sportsbook, they’re consistently the best bonuses available at any sports betting site. Make sure you take advantage of these sign-up promos before placing your first bet with an Ohio sportsbook.
Deposit Funds to Your Ohio Sportsbook Account
The next step is to deposit funds into your Ohio online sportsbook account. Ohio sportsbooks will accept a number of different payment methods for depositing funds, including debit cards and credit cards such as Visa/MasterCard, PayPal, and bank transfers to name a few.
While withdrawal options will be more limited with Ohio sportsbooks, funding your account is simple and more flexible than collecting your winnings. Once you’ve made your initial deposit, you’ll be ready to place your first bet with an Ohio sportsbook.
Start Placing Bets
Now that you’ve registered with an Ohio sportsbook and placed funds in your account, you’re ready to start placing wagers with Ohio sports betting sites.
Making responsible wagers on your favorite games is the best way to get closer to all the action. Make sure you’re ready to do so now that sports betting is live in Ohio.
Get a head start on your OH sports betting knowledge by starting to research local teams. As a reminder, here’s a complete list of all the major Ohio professional sports teams:
- Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
- Cleveland Browns (NFL)
- Cincinnati Bengals (NFL)
- Cleveland Guardians (MLB)
- Cincinnati Reds (MLB)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
- FC Cincinnati (MLS)
- Columbus Crew (MLS)
- Ohio State Buckeyes (NCAA)
There are a growing number of sportsbooks establishing official partnerships with sports teams and leagues. Sports betting partnerships have become an important revenue stream for teams and they help sportsbooks with customer acquisition. For you, the sports bettor, just know that these formal relationships often result in special promotions and odds boosts for wagers on hometown teams.
Even though sports betting is not yet available in Ohio, Bally Bet has announced an official sports betting partnership with the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Cavaliers have also gone ahead and forged a multi-year partnership with Betway in anticipation. The Cincinnati Bengals signed an agreement with Betfred Sportsbook.
You’ll likely see an increasing amount of marketing campaigns and free contests in the build-up to launch day. Lastly, a friendly reminder to bet with your head and not your heart. We completely understand it’s natural for fans to want to support their favorite teams, but we want you to make informed and confident wagers.
No matter which teams you support, check out Sports Betting Dime’s comprehensive betting tools and editorial coverage to learn how to find valuable lines.
NFL Betting in Ohio
Legal sports betting in Ohio is going to draw a ton of NFL wagering. This is a massive opportunity for football fans in the Buckeye State, as sports betting in Ohio launched just in time for the 2023 NFL Playoffs.
While none of the Ohio-based NFL teams made it to the Super Bowl, the Cincinnati Bengals weren’t too far off from returning as they lost to the eventual Super Bowl 57 champion Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship. The Cleveland Browns, on the other hand, failed to make it to playoffs in 2023 but will continue to build with quarterback Deshaun Watson at the helm.
Big Ten Sports in Ohio
Big Ten sports will draw a ton of betting action in Ohio. The Ohio State NCAA football and basketball programs are some of the hottest markets in the country, and with few limits on college sports betting in the Buckeye State unlike other states such as New Jersey, bettors will be excited to wager on their hometown collegiate teams.
The NCAA Big Ten Conference is not only the oldest Division I collegiate football program in the US, but also one of the most popular. Ohio State is a perennial contender in the Big Ten, having won more conference championships than any other program over the past 20 seasons. In fact, the Ohio State Buckeyes football program won four straight Big Ten titles from 2017 to 2020.
While the Ohio State Buckeyes basketball program is less successful in comparison to the football squad, they’re still a force to be reckoned with in the Big Ten conference. With Ohio sports betting launching January 1, 2023, March Madness will be just around the corner, and sports bettors in the Buckeye State will finally be able to wager on their local squad.
Ohio College Sports Betting
While some states outlaw local college football and college basketball betting, that isn’t the case in Ohio. Ohio State University previously called for a ban on prop betting, along with limiting wagering to NCAA football and basketball games, but those requests were ultimately not included in Ohio sports betting rules and regulations.
Placing limits on prop betting for college sports betting in Ohio would have been somewhat disappointing for Ohio sports bettors, as these markets often provide more value than straight up moneyline bets.
The United States Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was overturned on May 14, 2018. On that day, courts voted to allow each state to propose and create its own laws for sports betting.
Therefore, every state has different rules and regulations for sports betting. Now that these have been finalized by Ohio lawmakers, we’ll break down the legalese into easy-to-understand terms.
Licenses and Taxes: The Business of Ohio Sports Betting
At last, the business end of Ohio’s sports betting regulatory framework is now finalized. You can interpret some likely details from the language in SB 176.
Key aspects of the bill include:
- Ohio seeks to charge a tax rate of 10 percent on sports wagering revenue
- There will be two types of sports betting licenses available:
- 20 type A licenses available for existing state entities such as casinos and racetracks
- 20 type B licenses available for future brick-and-mortar sports betting locations
- All licensees will be authorized to pursue online sports betting partnerships in a free market
- Licenses will cost $1 million for three years
With these rules in place, Ohio online gambling revenue is expected to draw an average monthly handle of $500 in total wagers, with an annual tax revenue as high as $50 million.
We will include additional information as the launch date for OH sports betting approaches.
The Buckeye State offers gambling at 11 existing Ohio casinos and racetracks. If you live in one of Ohio’s three biggest cities – Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati – or even Toledo and Akron, there are casinos or racinos nearby. Presumably, each of these will apply for and receive sports betting licenses once legislation passes. In the meantime, you can play slots, poker, and table games, as well as wager on horse racing.
We love the convenience factor of placing wagers online, but we can’t deny that there’s a unique appeal to being on the floor of a retail sportsbook. Placing a wager like a moneyline or parlay bet in-person and catching the action in a room full of other sports bettors is sure to bring an adrenaline rush, especially during tentpole events like March Madness or the Super Bowl.
Find the full name, address, and hours of operation for each casino in Ohio below.
|Belterra Park Cincinnati||6301 Kellogg Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45230||Open 24/7|
|Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs||6000 S High St, Columbus, OH 43207||Open 24/7|
|Hard Rock Casino Cincinnati||1000 Broadway St, Cincinnati, OH 45202||Open 24/7|
|Hollywood Casino Columbus||200 Georgesville Rd, Columbus, OH 43228||Open 24/7|
|Hollywood Casino Toledo||1968 Miami St, Toledo, OH 43605||Open 24/7|
|Hollywood Gaming at Dayton Raceway||777 Hollywood Blvd, Dayton, OH 45414||Open 24/7|
|Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course||655 N Canfield Niles Rd, Youngstown, OH 44515||Open 24/7|
|Jack Cleveland Casino||100 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44113||Open 24/7|
|Jack ThistleDown Racino||21501 Emery Rd, North Randall, OH 44128||Open 24/7|
|MGM Northfield Park||10777 Northfield Rd, Northfield, OH 44067||Open 24/7|
|Miami Valley Gaming||6000 OH-63, Lebanon, OH 4503||Open 24/7|
Even if you plan to do most of your sports betting apps, we recommend planning some weekend trips to enjoy the brick-and-mortar wagering experience. Currently, that means heading to retailers in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Indiana, or beyond. However, it’s inevitable that Ohio’s casinos will offer sports betting in the near future. Sports Betting Dime will provide status updates as they become available.
Will mobile sports betting be allowed in Ohio?
Yes, legal mobile sports betting is now available in Ohio.
How much revenue will online sports betting raise in Ohio?
Online sports betting is expected to generate between $70 million and $90 million per year in tax revenue.
What sports betting apps are expected in Ohio?
Ohio mobile sportsbooks like DraftKings, FanDuel, Bet365, and more are now live in Ohio.
Will you be allowed bet on college sports from Ohio?
Yes, you are allowed to bet on college sports from Ohio.
What sportsbooks can I use in Ohio?
Sportsbook apps like FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetMGM are now live in Ohio.
What types of Ohio sportsbook promos can we expect?
You can expect Ohio sportsbook promos like deposit match bonuses, bet insurances, odds boosts, and more.
Is DraftKings in Ohio?
Yes, DraftKings is now live in Ohio.
Is FanDuel in Ohio?
Yes, FanDuel is now live in Ohio.
In Ohio, can you bet at a retail sportsbooks?
Yes, you can now place bets at retail sportsbooks in Ohio.
Is sports betting legal in Ohio?
Yes, Ohio sports betting is legal. Ohio sports betting was officially legalized on December 22, 2021.
When will Ohio sports betting launch?
Ohio sports betting launched on January 1, 2023.
Is daily fantasy legal in Ohio?
Yes, you can play daily fantasy sports (DFS) games in Ohio.
How is the sports betting industry regulated in Ohio?
The sports betting industry in Ohio is regulated by the Ohio Casino Control Commission. They determine which sportsbooks can receive legal sports betting status in the state.
Where can I claim my winnings from sports betting in Ohio?
Depending on the sportsbook you sign up with, you can receive your winnings via bank transfer, PayPal, cash, and more.
Get Ready for Ohio Sports Betting
Get ahead of the competition with our Betting 101 guides or explore the How to Bet on Sports section for betting advice on your favorite sports.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Ohio sports betting newsletter. This mailing list is specifically for folks in the Buckeye State. We’ll provide all the tips and tricks you’ll need to get started, plus exclusive sportsbook bonus codes you won’t find anywhere else.
If you want to place a wager elsewhere in America, explore our list of top online betting sites and detailed sportsbook reviews. Our legalization tracker will keep you up to date with the latest sports betting news on a state-by-state basis so you’ll know when, where, and how to place your bets.
Have fun and enjoy the action out there!