Finding the best online sports betting site can be challenging. As legal sports betting options become more prevalent, both dedicated bettors and everyday sports fans are looking for the best online sportsbooks and betting apps.
We’ve reviewed 228 online betting sites and spent hundreds of hours identifying the top sites for betting on sports. Our reviewers include professional bettors and sports fans who bet occasionally. In 2021, our seasoned team will continue to review the latest betting apps and update our existing sportsbook reviews with the latest info and bonus offers.
Their experiences using each of these sportsbooks have revealed the fastest payouts, best odds, and juiciest bonuses, all of which are detailed here for you.
DraftKings has gone from daily fantasy powerhouse to one of the best options for legal US sports betting. Expect great promos and one of the smoothest betting apps out there.Bonus: Up to $1,050 Free!
FanDuel has built on their daily fantasy success with a flawless betting app and excellent online sportsbook. Find a superior live betting experience and lots of features for new bettors.Bonus: $1,000 Risk-Free Bet
A big name that's been in business since 1934 is relevant as ever with a modern betting app and online sportsbook that features one of the biggest betting menus out there.Bonus: $2,021 Risk-Free Bet
BetMGM brings the famed casino brand online with a top-notch betting app and online sportsbook developed by experienced pros at Roar Digital.Bonus: $600 Risk-Free Bet
With roots in casino gambling, BetRivers has begun their rapid expansion into sports betting and is considered one of the best sportsbooks in the market.Bonus: Up to $250 Deposit Match
Our reviews of the top rated betting sites are based on our use of each site to make bets and the analysis included in our research study exploring industry standards. Sign up with one of our quick picks or read the guide below to identify the betting site that’s best for you.
How to Choose an Online Betting Site That’s Right for You – Guide
Online sportsbooks and betting apps have revolutionized the way fans bet on their favorite sports. As the industry continues to grow, it’s essential to know what qualities to look for when selecting a betting site that best fits your needs.
There are an astounding number of betting sites available across the web, and each of them have distinct advantages. As sports betting becomes available in more locations during 2021, it’s key you have the latest info on the best options available for sports betting in your location.
Whether you’re an experienced sports bettor or are looking to place your first wager, it’s easy to get overwhelmed at first glance. Focusing on a few key points can help you quickly identify the online sportsbook that’s right for you.
The guide that follows identifies which of these top-ranked sportsbooks is strongest in specific areas, such as bonus offers, mobile accessibility, ease of use, and more. Read on for Sports Betting Dime’s recommendations, or simply jump into the detailed reviews of each individual sportsbook.
Best Online Sports Betting Sites
- William Hill
The list above provides the best options available overall. If you want to narrow it down by region or for a particular sport, check out the detailed pages at the links below.
Read on for a breakdown of the specific factors you’ll want to consider when narrowing down which sportsbook is best for you.
Online Sportsbook Bonuses & Promotions: Don’t Miss the Extra Value
Virtually every online sportsbook offers bonuses and promotions to entice new users and keep them coming back, but these offers vary widely in terms of overall value and restrictions.
Most of these sports betting promo offers take the form of welcome promotions that give you a bit of extra cash to get started with. It’s important to pay close attention to the terms and conditions attached to each of these bonus offers – their value can be significant when used correctly.
The best online sportsbooks also offer ongoing value through promotions such as boosted odds, contests, and loyalty programs.
Check out the table below to compare the pros and cons of the most common sports betting bonus types you’ll encounter:
|Sign up Bonuses||
|VIP & Loyalty Programs||
Ultimately, you want to look for a site with a bonus structure that works for you. Deposit match and loyalty programs are best for those who plan to deposit and wager large amounts, while boosted odds and contests provide a bit of ongoing intrigue and excitement for bettors of all stripes.
Best Sportsbook for Bonuses & Promotions: DraftKings
DraftKings offers the best overall sports betting bonuses among legal US sportsbooks. DraftKings consistently offers a welcome bonus worth up to $1,000 across all markets in which they operate.
Add in the extra value that comes with boosted odds on both big games and more obscure matchups, and DraftKings users get a lucrative bonus package with straightforward terms and conditions.
While many of their competitors also offer hefty sign up offers and boosted odds, few offer these high-value promotions with the same consistency as DraftKings. New odds boosts are served up on a daily basis, and DraftKings “Profit Boost” tokens allow you to select the lines you want to boost.
Rounded out with parlay insurance and a challenge-based rewards program, the DraftKings promotions are the most robust among all online sportsbooks.
This industry powerhouse has shown an insatiable appetite for acquiring new customers at any cost, which translates directly into better terms for new users. Expect to see DK bringing their excellent bonus offers to more locations as legal sports betting continues to expand in 2021.
Sports Betting Apps & Mobile Sportsbook Performance
Consider where you’re most likely to place your bets. Want to put down a little action on the train ride home from work? How about placing a wager from your favorite stool at the local sports bar?
If you’re interested in betting on the go, you need to find a solid betting app or sportsbook with a user-friendly mobile interface.
- Most online sportsbooks are accessible on the go and have dedicated betting apps, but the quality of this experience differs
- We recommend using these apps where available, but many sportsbooks offer websites optimized to function well from your mobile browser as an alternative
- Apple users will find many sports betting apps available in the App Store, while Android users need to download the apps directly from the online betting site
Best Sports Betting App & Mobile Betting: FanDuel
FanDuel is one of several online sportsbooks who got their start as popular daily fantasy sports apps. As such, FanDuel had several years of experience developing and refining their mobile platform before ever launching their dedicated sports betting app.
FanDuel offers the best sports betting app on the market thanks to the exceptionally simple and thoughtful design. A sticky menu on the bottom of the screen clearly displays an intuitive navigation structure, making it easy to quickly find odds on the leagues and games you want to wager on.
Unlike some competitors, the FanDuel app is not market-specific, allowing users to bet from any location where FanDuel legally operates with a single app.
In the end, the ease of use the FanDuel app provides places it a step above the competition as the number one choice for sports betting on the go.
Live Betting & Unique Wagering Options
Beyond the ability to bet from anywhere at any time, technological innovation has also greatly expanded the wagering options you can expect to see for your favorite games.
Gone are the days of simply choosing whether to take the moneyline, point spread, or over/under. Today, you can expect to find extremely unique propositions to bet on, along with futures bets that ask you to wager on championship titles or player awards far ahead of time.
Prop bets are a fun way to wager on the outcome of something other than the game itself; this can include individual player performances, team statistics, or more unorthodox questions regarding half time performances and fan behavior.
Online sportsbooks and betting apps have also aggressively expanded the number of live betting options available in recent years. Rather than simply betting on an outcome before the game in question, live betting allows you to continue placing new wagers as the action unfolds.
While successful in-play, live betting requires a different skillset than handicapping games before they start; it ups the excitement both wagering and watching on the game as it goes down. The best sites for live betting feature designs
While all of the sportsbooks suggested on this list offer a healthy selection of prop bets, live betting opportunities, and other creative specials, some go a step beyond by offering totally unique wagering types you will not find available elsewhere.
Best Sports Betting Site for Live Betting & Unique Options: PointsBet
Many online sportsbooks rely on bonus offers and extravagant marketing campaigns to set themselves apart from the competition. PointsBet has taken differentiation a step further, creating proprietary wagering types and prop bets you’ll never find at the competition.
You’ll want to try their namesake betting style – PointsBetting – especially if you’re an experienced bettor or are very comfortable with numbers.
PointsBetting does not use fixed odds to determine the size of your potential payout or loss. Instead, the potential is adjusted based on how far the actual result is from the projected number, be it a spread or a total.
Add in innovative new props and a live betting platform that makes it easy to follow the action, and PointsBet earns our vote as the best betting site for unique options and live betting.
Features for New Sports Bettors
As sports betting becomes increasingly accessible worldwide, more casual fans are constantly jumping into the action. While there’s always a learning curve when transitioning from watching sports to betting on them, some sportsbooks go out of their way to help you quickly get up to speed.
For instance, tools like parlay calculators and odds converters ensure you understand exactly how much money you stand to win. While well-written FAQs, blog posts, or explanatory content can help you master the basics and beyond.
Some sportsbooks effectively cater to both beginners and experts alike, while others are squarely focused on the “sharp money” market. If you’re a bit green, it’s worth signing up for an online betting site that helps you learn the ropes or is at least easy to navigate and understand.
Best Site for New Sports Bettors: William Hill
William Hill is one of the most experienced online sports betting providers. Throughout many years of service in a heap of countries around the globe, Will Hill has developed several features and resources that simplify things for new sports bettors.
Expect to find how-to betting content directly on the site, ensuring you never have to navigate elsewhere to wrap your head around a new wagering type. An extensive FAQ section provides straightforward answers to common questions, and customer service reps can assist you 24/7 in six different languages.
Customer Service at Your Online Betting Site
Unfortunately, there are instances of online sportsbooks taking advantage of unsuspecting consumers. This often takes the form of the book dragging their feet when processing payouts or refusing to honor winnings entirely. While this behavior is a sure way to guarantee customers won’t be coming back, it does happen from time to time.
Of course, this isn’t something you need to worry about if you’re betting with a reputable and legal option.
Reading online reviews like those found here at SBD is the best way to ensure you’ll receive a timely payout when you decide to cash out your winnings. If others have been hosed by an online sportsbook, chances are they’ll be more than happy to share their experience online.
The same goes for finding sportsbooks with great customer service. Sometimes things go wrong when dealing with entirely remote banking transactions. You want to be sure someone will pick up the phone and offer a helpful response in the unlikely case you encounter an issue.
We’ve ensured that each of the sites reviewed here provides excellent customer service and security for all users.
Final Factors to Consider
In addition to the sportsbook experience itself, there are several practical factors to consider when selecting the betting site that’s best for you:
- Where do you live?
- While sports betting is becoming more accessible, options may be limited depending on the country and/or state you live in.
- Some countries (like the UK) have an incredible number of legal betting options, while in the US the legality of sports betting and the number of options to bet online vary from state to state.
- How often do the odds change?
- Some sportsbooks adjust the odds more frequently than others.
- Carefully monitoring these changes can be an effective way to find value on one side of the wager, but this strategy can be too time-consuming for casual bettors.
- If you prefer to place your bets without fear of better odds popping up an hour later, look for a book that takes a “set and forget” approach to their lines.
- How early are the lines released?
- Some online sportsbooks will release the odds days or even weeks ahead of game day, while others tend to cut things a bit closer.
- If you’re a very knowledgeable and confident bettor, putting your money down early can often secure better odds. But if you’re new to betting or find yourself wagering on a sport you don’t know as well, it’s probably best to wait until closer to game day to place your bets.
- If you prefer to bet on sports like hockey, baseball, or basketball, you’ll see much less variation in line release times. If you’re a fan of football or combat sports, on the other hand, you might want to consider a sportsbook that releases their lines well in advance.
- How much of a cut does the sportsbook take?
- Every online betting site charges a commission to handle your wager (called the ‘juice,’ ‘vig,’ or ‘vigorish’), but the amounts vary between books and individual games.
- Over the long term, the difference in vig can be the difference between turning a profit or suffering a loss.
- Odds of -110 are generally standard for points spreads and totals. This means you must bet $1.10 to win $1. Books that charge more than this are considered pricey, while those that consistently offer odds at -105 are generally considered to be a value.
- If you plan to place a couple of bets casually, these differences won’t have such a large impact. On the other hand, those who plan to bet consistently will notice the toll a high vig can take on your bankroll over time.
- Consider how much money you plan to wager over the next year. The higher the number, the more you should consider finding a sportsbook with low average juice.
- Do they offer a wide variety of lines on your favorite sports?
- There’s often incredible value to be found betting on smaller market teams and sports, but not every sportsbook offers lines on these less frequently covered games. If you want to bet on snooker, darts, cricket, or any other event you’re not likely to see on national television, make sure you find a sportsbook that has the resources to formulate betting lines for them.
- While many bettors stick to the ‘big four’ North American sports of football, baseball, basketball, and hockey, many sportsbooks also allow you to put money down on anything from table tennis to Belarusian Premier League soccer.
Make sure you select an online sportsbook that’s committed to protecting your personal information as closely as you do.
You’ll often be providing your identification and financial information to make a withdrawal. Ensure any sportsbook you trust with this valuable personal information is regulated in a reputable jurisdiction and has a solid track record of protecting consumer info.
Signing up with one of the legal options found here is the simplest way to ensure your safety when betting online.
Following the 2018 US Supreme Court decision that legalized sports betting at the federal level, it’s easier than ever to safely and legally bet on sports online. In the US, each individual state makes their own laws and rules regulating online sports betting.
Once you’ve confirmed that online sports betting is legal in your state of residence, it’s time to see which sportsbooks are available.
Ultimately, everything comes down to one simple question:
Is this sportsbook legally accessible from where I live?
- Legal sites are geo-restricted and may not be available nationwide
- Licenses are granted on a state-by-state basis, which means some online sportsbooks aren’t available even where online gambling is allowed
In the United States, legal betting sites will frequently check your location to ensure compliance with relevant state laws. Looking for these location checks is a great way to see if you’re betting with a safe and licensed option.
Elsewhere in the world, access to online sportsbooks will often be blocked completely from jurisdictions in which the sites cannot legally operate. In any case, make sure licensing information is available somewhere on the site.
The Final Word
Just like any form of entertainment, finding the online sportsbook and app that works best for you comes down to balancing the available features with the cost. When it comes to sports betting, differences in cost play out as higher juice or less desirable bonus offers.
Think about your individual needs and your motivation to bet on sports. Some books are better for those looking for the most value, some cater exclusively to the most experienced ‘sharp’ bettors, and others simply provide a fun and easy-to-use online gambling experience.
Take some time to explore the individual sportsbook reviews found on this site, keeping in mind the criteria covered throughout this guide. The snapshots in the list above will help you quickly determine if each site fits your individual preferences as a bettor.