- Terri Harper vs Natasha Jonas goes Friday, August 7th at 6 PM ET
- Can Harper maintain her grasp on the gold or does Jonas assert her place on the throne?
- Check out the odds for this Harper vs Jonas event, analysis, and my predictions below
Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas get ready to throw down for Matchroom Fight Camp at The Matchroom Boxing headquarters on Friday night. The fight will take place in Brentwood, Essex, UK and will broadcast on Sky Sports as well as DAZN in North America.
The WBC and IBO super featherweight championships are up for grabs with Harper defending both belts. This is Matchroom Boxing’s second event since COVID-19 related event hiatuses became widespread. Both women have ten pro fights to their credit and are heading into a high stakes eleventh bout without a doubt.
Terri Harper vs Natasha Jonas Main Card Odds
Odds taken August 5th
Terri Harper’s Aim to Remain Unbeaten World Champion
Harper’s last outing saw her defeat Eva Wahlstrom via unanimous decision to retain her IBO belt and capture WBC gold. Her last foray in the ring was early February and the dual belt holder seems to be chomping at the bit to get back at it.
This fight will be making history as the first ever all-British fight for a world championship between two women. Both women are certainly not strangers to making history though.
— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) August 3, 2020
Natasha Jonas’ Quest for WBC and IBO Gold
Jonas is Great Britain’s first-ever female boxer to qualify for the Olympics. She has captured the WBA International championship in the past but is looking for super featherweight gold at the world level. She also has the distinction of being able to step in the ring with both UK women’s world champions in history, Katie Taylor (in the Olympic quarterfinals) and now Harper.
Though Jonas has a deep amateur resume and a proven pro record, Harper is still confident that she will maintain her nickname Belter after this upcoming bout.
#FightCamp here we come proud @WBCBoxing @IBOBoxing world champion proud of who I am 🏳️🌈this Friday live on @SkySportsBoxing @MatchroomBoxing @EddieHearn see you soon #AndStill #Belter #DoingBits pic.twitter.com/g4K6ay9xvC
— Terri “Belter” Harper (@TerriHarper96) August 3, 2020
Jonas has a 78% recent knockout rate but Harper has a spotless record at 10-0 heading into this contest. A key aspect of this fight though is the age factor. Harper is a surging 23-year-old while Jonas enters the ring as a savvy 36-year-old competitor. I think this will reflect in the fight with Terri Harper reaping the benefits.
Harper vs Jonas Tale of the Tape
|Eva Wahlstrom, Viviane Obenauf, Nozipho Bell||Significant Wins||Feriche Mashauri and Taoussy L’Hadji|
Jonas suffered her lone career loss two years ago which saw her get stopped in August 2018. As she readies to compete in August 2020, does Jonas get halted once again? I ultimately don’t think that will be the case. Harper has some meat behind her punches for sure but she also has a fifty percent KO rate. I see Harper maintaining her grasp on the hardware this Friday night. I see Terri Harper getting the victory via unanimous decision.
Pick: Terri Harper (-1000)
Other Main Card Picks for Harper vs Jonas
- Anthony Fowler vs Adam Harper: Adam Harper has not stepped into a ring for almost two years and I think he will have some ring rust. Fowler enters this one with a 75% knockout rate and I think he gets it done inside of six rounds. Pick: Anthony Fowler (-3500)
- Chris Billam-Smith vs Nathan Thorley: Nathan Thorley has a lot of warm bodies on his record. This does not bode well as he enters a prizefight with a proven champion-caliber fighter who also has a 90% KO rate. I see Billiam-Smth securing the stoppage inside of five rounds. Pick: Chris Billam-Smith (-1400)