[This article was originally published on Jan. 28, 2015.]
The Academy Awards are still a month away, yet fashion-enthusiasts are dying to know what – or rather who – the stars will be wearing.
Every year, there are some complete surprises; but the leading ladies – er, the leading ladies’ stylists – tend to rely on the industry’s top names to get them red carpet-ready. Indeed, many actresses(‘s stylists) seem to have found particular looks that suit their tastes, enlisting the services of one or two designers multiple times over the years.
What does our research tell us Hollywood’s finest will be wearing this year?
Take a look at our odds, below, which are helpfully divided into the nominees and the (shudder) guests (shudder).
Designer/Actress Odds for the 2015 Academy Awards:
- Julianne Moore – Moore has a longstanding relationship with Tom Ford, but has also sported Saint Laurent on numerous occasions and recently looked stunning in Cannes wearing Calvin Klein.
- Tom Ford: 2/1
- Saint-Laurent: 4/1
- Calvin Klein: 9/1
- Felicity Jones – Jones is a relative newcomer without an established designer trend. She has looked good in Balenciaga, Zuhair Murad, and Dior. She wore Dior most recently, so she probably won’t go back to that well for the Oscars. In all likelihood, expect something new and fresh from the youngster.
- Balenciaga: 7/1
- Zuhair Murad: 7/1
- Dior: 9/1
- Reese Witherspoon – It’s no secret that Reese was enamored with Jason Wu a few years back. She has also worn Nina Ricci more than once, and looked stunning doing so. Returning to Wu or Ricci – proven winners for Reese – makes sense for her first Oscar nod since 2006.
- Jason Wu: 3/1
- Nina Ricci: 5/1
- Armani: 5/1
- Marion Cotillard – Marion wears Dior a lot. But she was immaculate in a white Gaultier gown when she won Best Actress for La Vie en Rose. Gaultier for good luck, perhaps?
- Christian Dior: 1/1
- Jean-Paul Gaultier: 5/1
- Andrew Gn: 6/1
- Rosamund Pike – Pike was the face of LK Bennett in 2013, and the Duchess of Cambridge has recently been spotted in a Bennett outfit. Bennett doesn’t tend to make too many appearances on the red carpet, but Pike has proven that she’ll go outside the box. She could also do much worse than wearing another Vera Wang number.
- Prada: 4/1
- Valentino: 4/1
- Vera Wang: 6/1
- LK Bennett: 8/1
- Keira Knightley – Knightley has donned Valentino, Chanel, and Elie Saab many times. She knows what she likes and she tends to stick with it. Knightley has also mentioned that she likes Carven, but wearing a Carven dress to the Oscars would be a surprise.
- Chanel: 3/1
- Valentino: 5/1
- Ellie Saab: 6/1
- Carven: 12/1
- Emma Stone – According to Marie Claire, Stone has spent time with Alber Elbaz, a long-time designer at Lanvin, and she has worn Lanvin ensembles on the red carpet before. She has also dazzled in Giambattista Valli, but not for a while, meaning it could be time to go back to the Italian designer.
- Lanvin: 4/1
- Giambattista Valli: 6/1
The Guests (a.k.a. the riff-raff):
- Jennifer Lawrence – As Elle stated, J-Law “doesn’t have a signature style. She wears it all: ladylike Marchesa frocks, cool Proenza Schouler crop tops, sexy, backless Tom Ford dresses. Sure, there are tons of Dior gowns in the mix—the Hunger Games actress is the face of the brand—but that doesn’t mean Lawrence plays it safe in one tried-and-tested look.” With that in mind, it’s either Dior or anyone’s guess!
- Dior: 3/1
- Angelina Jolie – Jolie has a few designers that she wears repeatedly. Foremost is Versace. She also loves Elie Saab and the British duo Ralph & Russo. Don’t be at all surprised if she returns to one of her old reliables on February 22nd.
- Versace: 2/1
- Elie Saab: 5/1
- Ralph & Russo: 5/1
- Jennifer Aniston – Jen goes back to Saint Laurent time and again. But her 2013 Valentino gown was described as a show-stopper, so she may enlist his services once again. She is also a fan of Lanvin, though doesn’t tend to wear it to galas.
- Saint Laurent: 5/1
- Lanvin: 7/1
- Valentino: 7/1
- Lupita Nyong’o – Like Felicity Jones, Lupita hasn’t been around long enough to have a designer trend. She’s worn everything from Prada to Christopher Kane to Chanel to Miu Miu to Calvin Klein. It’s really anyone’s guess what the eclectic actress will wear to this year’s show, but we think she’s looked best in Giambattista Valli and Givenchy.
- Giambattista Valli: 6/1
- Givenchy: 6/1
Check back in February to see how our predictions play out. But remember to be forgiving! Actresses are notoriously mum about their Oscar attire.
(Photo credit: nicolas genin from Paris, France (66ème Festival de Venise (Mostra)) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo has been cropped.)