- The Alfred Dunhill Championship from Leopard Creek Country Club in South Africa tees off Thursday, November 26th
- Recent European Tour champion Robert Macintyre the favorite over past Alfred Dunhill Championship winner Brandon Stone
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
The Alfred Dunhill Championship is being played in Malalane, Mpumalanga, South Africa with Pablo Larrazabal back to defend his title. This tournament is co-sanctioned by the Sunshine and European Tours and doesn’t boast an especially strong field. This event should not be confused with the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship that is played in Scotland and much more prestigious.
Lefty Robert Macintyre won his last European Tour start for his maiden title and finished in a tie for third before that so he finds himself as the betting favorite. Brandon Stone, who won this tournament back in 2016 is followed behind him along with Christiaan Bezuidenhout, who made the cut in the US Open and Masters this year.
2011 Masters champion Charl Schwartzel has won this tournament a record four times, but he’s not teeing it up this week, and neither are fellow major winning South Africans Louis Oosthuizen and Ernie Els.
2020 Alfred Dunhill Championship Odds
|Joachim B. Hansen||+3100|
|Danie Van Tonder||+4000|
Odds taken November 23rd from FanDuel
Brandon Stone Playing Solid Golf
Brandon Stone has played well in this tournament in the past, making the cut in all four instances including his victory here in 2016. Stone has also posted a pair of top-20 finishes at this track so he’s comfortable competing on it.
In his run up to the Alfred Dunhill Championship, Stone has been impressive, posting four top-20s in the last five times teeing it up, highlighted by a T-4th showing in his last start at the Joburg Open.
#ChaseTheAce: Brandon Stone 🇿🇦
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) December 28, 2018
Despite Robert Macintyre having shorter odds than Stone by virtue of his win and T-3rd showing in his last two starts, I like Stone more simply because he’s won at this venue and had success, whereas Macintyre has only played it once, a respectable T-15 in 2018.
Both players are strikingly similar in the facets of their game in strokes gained categories, with Stone considerably longer off the tee. I’d be more inclined to go with the the past champion Stone between the two of them.
Last Five Alfred Dunhill Championship Winners
|2019||Pablo Larrazabal (-8)|
|2018||David Lipsky (-14)|
|2017||No Tournament (Course Renovation)|
|2016||Brandon Stone (-21)|
|2015||Charl Schwartzel (-15)|
Alfred Dunhill Championship Best Value Picks
- George Coetzee (+2700): Though he hasn’t been as strong in his last three events, George Coetzee has put together a remarkable 2020 across various tours. He has two wins, two runner-ups and five other top-10’s this year. He’s had a couple top-10’s here in the past, with a T-3 in 2011 and T-10 in 2012.
- Pablo Larrazabal (+4200): Solid odds for the defending champion of a tournament, particularly because he had two solid events here the two previous times too, which resulted in T-9 and T-23 showings. Has made 13 of his last 15 cuts, and had respectable performances in two of the last three times teeing it up (T-24, T-27).
- Joel Sjoholm (+10000): Joel Sjoholm is a big longshot at these odds but he was the runner-up to Larrazabal here last year so he likes the course. Fifth in strokes gained approaching the green this season on tour. Made his last five cuts with T-22, T-23, T-31 being his best starts so he’s quietly playing solidly.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.