2020 PGA Tour Workday Charity Open Odds and Picks
- The PGA Tour heads to Dublin, Ohio for the inaugural Workday Charity Open from July 9th-12th, featuring three of the top six players in the world
- Justin Thomas opens as the +1000 favorite over the rest of the field; Jon Rahm and Patrick Cantlay follow closely behind at +1300
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
After cancelling the John Deere Classic due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the PGA Tour has decided to replace the event with the Workday Charity Open from famed Muirfield Village Golf Club.
If that course sounds familiar, it should – it’s been the venue for the Memorial Tournament since 1976, making this two week stretch very unique with players able to take on a golf course for two weekends in a row.
The field features Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas and Brooks Koepka from the top-six of the world golf rankings, and they’ll be trying to fend off Patrick Cantlay who won on this track last year at the Memorial Tournament.
2020 Workday Charity Open Odds
Odds taken July 6th
Justin Thomas Up & Down Throughout 2020
JT opened the year with a victory at the Sentry Tournament of Champions but has gone winless in seven events since then.
He’s been running hot and cold through the campaign, posting four other top-10 finishes, but also throwing three missed cuts into the mix – meaning he’s either made the top ten or not made it to the weekend in each event he’s teed up in this year.
"I am full beg right now."
We've all been there, @JustinThomas34. 😂#QuickHits pic.twitter.com/UN38O2lbpX
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) June 26, 2020
That mimics what he’s done in the past five years at Muirfield Village – two stellar finishes in 2017 (T-4th) and 2018 (T-8th) but in 2015, ’16 and ’19, he missed the cut. Which JT will show up this week?
It’s so up in the air, making betting on him to win dicey, especially as the favorite at +1000.
Rahm in a Funk Since Tour Returned
Before the coronavirus pandemic halted play for three months, Jon Rahm was playing fantastic golf with two wins in his previous eight events. That can’t be said about the fiery Spaniard since then, however.
Jon Rahm. A ball-striking machine 🤖 pic.twitter.com/a3mZCcNISw
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) May 27, 2020
After posting just one missed cut in his previous 18 worldwide starts (and a second worst result being T-17th), Rahm packed his bags after 36 holes at the Charles Schwab Challenge, then followed that up with middling T-33 and T-37 finishes.
He’s also only played at this venue once, missing the cut in 2017. With his spotty play of late and lack of course history, it’s perhaps a prudent move to steer clear of him this week.
Last Five Champions at Muirfield Village Golf Club (Memorial Tournament)
2020 Workday Charity Open Best Value Picks
- Justin Rose (+2600): The 2010 champ at the Memorial very nearly has won other times on this track, losing in a playoff in 2015 and was also a runner-up in 2008 as part of seven all-time top 10’s at Muirfield Village. Also has T-3rd and T-14th (along with a MC) since the return.
- Matt Kuchar (+4500): Another past champion (2013), who plays extremely well on this venue, with a runner-up in 2011 and back-to-back T-4’s in 2016 and 2017. Would be a prime time candidate for amazing value for a top-five bet.
- Byeong-Hun An (+7500): Deep dive with big upside. Has competed at this track four times in his career with strong success, most notably finishing runner-up in a playoff in 2018. Also has posted T-11, T-17, T-25 results at this venue. Five top-tens on tour this season but has been pedestrian since the restart, dropping his odds to this level.