- Tiger Woods kicks off his season at a course he’s dominated on: Torrey Pines
- There’s plenty of star power in a loaded Farmers Insurance Open field
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
Tiger Woods makes his 2019 season debut in his first action since the unofficial Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas last month. In his last official event, Tiger Woods ended a lengthy winless drought in spectacular fashion at the Tour Championship. What does he have in store for 2019?
2019 Farmers Insurance Open Odds
|Golfer||Odds to Win 2019 Farmers Insurance Open at Bovada (01/22/19)|
*Follow the link in the table to see all options
Tiger Woods Returns to his Personal Playground
To say Tiger Woods has enjoyed success at Torrey Pines would be a massive understatement – he’s won astounding eight times – but only once since his heroic 2008 US Open victory on one leg (2013 Farmers Insurance Open)
Eight wins here.
🏆🏆🏆🏆@TigerWoods' top 10 shots at Torrey Pines (non-majors):
9. That club lash 🦅
8. Long putt for 🦅
7. Chip-in 🦅
6. Longer putt for 🦅
4. 🦅 from the ⏳🏖
3. Chip-in 🦅
2. 🐦 from 51 FEET!
1. 72nd hole 🦅🏆 pic.twitter.com/YHqmfExAH7
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) January 23, 2018
Having won his last official event, can the Big Cat pick up right where he left off and claim another trophy? It’s certainly hard to bet against him. Let’s take a look at his recent results at Torrey Pines, keeping in mind he often was hobbling while attempting to slog his way through the gnarly course.
Tiger Woods’ Last 5 Farmers Insurance Open Results
A decade of dominance.
The lowest score in relation to par at Torrey Pines from 1998-2008:
Tiger Woods, -159
Phil Mickelson, -67
Kevin Sutherland, -67
Bob Estes, -44
He had 7 wins at Torrey in that span and finished outside the top 5 just once. His worst finish? T10.
— Sean Martin (@PGATOURSMartin) January 17, 2019
If you’re buying Tiger Woods stock this week it’s because of those ridiculous numbers from yesteryear. I want to go all-in on Tiger this week, but if I’m backing a favorite I’d select Jason Day, who has the same odds (+1400) as Woods and has won this tournament twice in the last four years.
Last 5 Farmers Insurance Open Winners
Jason Day primed for third Farmers Insurance Open Title
Day has been brilliant in this event or had poor results – with absolutely nothing in between. He’s been no worse than 13th in three starts on tour this year, and seems refocused and rededicated after admitting he lost desire to be the best golfer in the world. Expect Jason Day to have another huge week at Torrey Pines.
Jason Day’s Last 5 Farmers Insurance Open Results
2019 Farmers Insurance Open Best Value Picks
- Jordan Spieth (+3300): While Spieth has fallen on tough times – by his lofty standards (winless last season), he’s bound to figure it out at any moment and turn back into the beast he’s shown in the past.
- Brandt Snedeker (+4000): Tasted victory at this event twice (2012, 2016) Also has two career t-2nd finishes plus a third, and two t-9th results. Horses for Courses.
- J.B. Holmes (+5000): Spectacular in three of last four attempts in this tournament, with finishes of t-2nd, 4th and t-6th, to go along with respectable t-33rd. Due for first win in four years.