- Collin Morikawa and Joel Dahmen co-lead the U.S. Open by one shot over five golfers after round two
- 15 players are within three shots in a jam packed leaderboard
- See the updated 2022 U.S. Open odds below for Saturday’s third round below
Through two rounds of the U.S. Open, it’s a wide open golf tournament with not much separation amongst the leaders. Collin Morikawa, who entered the week with +3000 odds to win outright is tied with Joel Dahmen for top spot. Lurking just one shot behind them are last week’s winner Rory McIlroy and defending champion Jon Rahm, who were the top-two favorites when play started Thursday. A further shot behind is Scottie Scheffler, who won the Masters in April.
There are some notable names that won’t be around for the weekend at the Country Club in Brookline, MA. They include Phil Mickelson, Cameron Smith, Viktor Hovland and Tony Finau, among others. The cut came at 3-over-par, which is eight strokes off top spot.
Read on to see the updated odds and best value bets heading into moving day for Saturday’s third round.
2022 U.S. Open Odds
Odds as of June 17th at DraftKings Sportsbook
Proven Major Champions Squarely In Contention
With apologies to Joel Dahmen, and the trio just a shot behind, the star-studded threesome of Collin Morikawa (T-1st) along with Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm (T-3rd) are stealing the show through two rounds. They’re all roughly the exact same price, with Morikawa sporting slightly shorter odds. Between them, they’ve racked up seven career majors, which is why they have such a small number.
23 players at or within 4 shots of the lead through 2 rounds at the @usopengolf. Last time there was more: 1996 (26).
— Justin Ray (@JustinRayGolf) June 18, 2022
Of the three heavyweights, Rahm is first in the field in SG: off-the-tee, Rory has been the better of the three in approach and putting and Morikawa best around the green. It truly is a pick’em between the three combatants.
Only Brooks Koepka has won back-to-back US Open’s since the 1980’s (something Rahm is attempting to accomplish), while Rory hasn’t won a major in eight years, and Morikawa has two different majors the last two seasons. Given that we were high on Collin before the event at +3000, no sense in straying away from that.
2022 US Open Best Live Value Picks
- Scottie Scheffler (+700): Reigning Masters champ Scottie Scheffler is still very bettable at this number, as he sits just two shots adrift. Friday he put together a strong 3-under, 67, which included three birdies and an eagle. He’s first in strokes gained approach and fourth off-the-tee through two days. Scheffler has four victories on the campaign, and is fourth in third round scoring average.
- Xander Schauffele (+2800): A strong value play can be found in Xander Schauffele, who enters the weekend just four off the pace. In his first five career US Open’s, he’s been no worse than T-7th, and all four of his stroke play titles on the PGA Tour he’s been the chaser, so he’s shown the ability to emerge from back in the pack. He’s sixth in SG: short game, plus the X-Man is second in Saturday scoring average.