- The Farmers Insurance Open from San Diego, CA tees off Wednesday, January 26th
- Jon Rahm is the +650 favorite to win, followed by Justin Thomas
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
The PGA Tour continues its California swing from famed Torrey Pines Golf Course, with players alternating between the South and North courses the first two rounds, then they play the final 36 holes on the much more challenging South track.
Take note of the Wednesday start for this event, as the Tour decided to not go up against the NFC and AFC Championship games on Sunday, so the tournament will end Saturday evening.
World #1 Jon Rahm, who won this tournament in 2018, is back – and he’s the +650 favorite over Justin Thomas. He also was victorious on these grounds in his epic US Open triumph last year. In all, six of the top-ten golfers in the world are teeing it up.
Patrick Reed returns as defending champion after his five-shot win last year, where he was embroiled in a rules controversy over a questionable free drop during the third round.
2022 Farmers Insurance Open Odds
Odds as of January 24th on DraftKings Sportsbook App
Rahm is once again a favorite with odds in triple digits for the second straight week, while Hideki Matsuyama cracks the top five after his win at the Sony Open in Hawaii two weeks ago.
Tony Finau Excels at Torrey Pines
After being stuck on a lone PGA Tour victory since 2016, Tony Finau was finally able to take the monkey off his back after his Northern Trust title to kick off last season’s FedEx Cup playoffs.
One of the events he’s seemed destined to win for a long time now is the Farmers Insurance Open. Since 2016, his results are as follows: T-18th, T-4th, T-6th, T-13th, T-6th, then T-2nd in 2021.
Unsurprisingly, his strokes gained stats in the last 24 rounds at this track are phenomenal.
Finau Strokes Gained in Last 24 Rounds at Torrey Pines South
|Tee-To-Green||Total||Around The Green||Short Game||Off-The-Tee||Ball Striking||Putting|
While he hasn’t been brilliant since that second PGA Tour victory, he’s still posted top-20’s in four of his subsequent eight starts. With +2500 odds to win outright, he has better value than the top-nine golfers on the board. Now that he’s armed with the confidence that he can get the job done in crunch time, he’s worthy of strong consideration this week.
Last Five Farmers Insurance Open Winners
2022 Farmers Insurance Open Best Value Picks
- Patrick Reed (+5000): Defending champion Patrick Reed sports enticing odds at this number. Not only did he win in 2021, but the two years before that were solid at Torrey Pines as well, resulting in T-6th and T-13th showings. In his last twelve rounds on the South, he’s first in total strokes gained, putting and short game. Just three starts ago he was T-3rd at the Hero World Challenge.
- Justin Rose (+5500): Justin Rose won this tournament in 2019, and was T-4th and T-8th the two years before that at this venue. In the last twelve rounds at Torrey Pines South, he’s first in strokes gained tee-to-green and third in overall strokes gained. He’s played the weekend in ten straight tournaments, with top-15’s in two of his last three.
- Brandt Snedeker (+11000): As far as value plays go, it’s hard to do better than Brandt Snedeker at these odds. Since 2010 at this event, he has two wins (2012, 2016), a pair of runner-ups (2010, 2013), and a third place showing (2020). Coming off a solid top-15 finish last weekend.