- The Scottsdale AZ Open tees off Tuesday, May 12th from Talking Stick Golf Club
- This mini-tour field boasts some PGA Tour players including favorites Joel Dahmen and Kevin Streelman
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
With the PGA Tour still a month away from starting back up, there are still opportunities to win cash betting on mini tour golf events like this week’s Scottsdale AZ Open.
The tournament features 162 players in a three-round format, with the top 50 players following day two continuing on with the remainder getting cut.
Joel Dahmen is the heavy favorite to come out on top in the fourth year of this tournament, which he also won in 2017.
Though there is no broadcast or online stream of the event, you can follow all the scores here with the tournament teeing off on Tuesday.
2020 Scottsdale AZ Open Odds
Odds taken May 11th
Joel Dahmen the Heavy Favorite
It’s not hard to figure out why Joel Dahmen is the favorite to win the trophy given his strong play on the PGA Tour before the COVID-19 pandemic halted play.
The 70th ranked player in the world put together a pair of T-5 finishes in his last two tourneys, the Arnold Palmer Invitational and Genesis Invitational, both world class events.
I hold the course record at all my home courses, except @mesacountryclub. That changed today with some of my good friends along for the ride. That was FUN! @brandonharks @derekbohlen @davidsonhomegroup @ihapp_1 @kschwarb12 #58 pic.twitter.com/e1DKOB0hCf
— Joel Dahmen (@Joel_Dahmen) May 8, 2020
Just last Friday, Dahmen shot a sizzling 58 at Mesa Country Club – highlighted by a ridiculous 26 on the back nine, so suffice to say there doesn’t appear to be much rust in his game.
In the last two seasons on Tour, Dahmen has been a runner-up twice, at the Wells Fargo Championship and John Deere Classic, plus he’s 11th in strokes gained: tee to green this season.
The only sticking point is his super low +400 odds, which would give me pause in a field with other PGA Tour members, but bet against him at your peril, considering he won this event in 2017.
Kevin Streelman Difficult to Predict in 2020
The second favorite in this event is two-time PGA Tour champion Kevin Streelman. He’s been maddeningly inconsistent in 2020, with three missed cuts in six events, a T-45 and T-47 mixed in with a stunning runner-up result at Pebble Beach.
For the 2019-20 Tour season, Streelman has been equally head scratching, missing eight of 14 cuts, with that second place finish and a T-4th at the Sanderson Farms Championship his best work.
— GOLFonCBS (@GOLFonCBS) February 9, 2020
Despite the fact Streelman is playing against plenty of inferior opponents this week, his wild results this season would cause me to consider not laying a wager on him at +1000.
Last Three Scottsdale AZ Open Winners
2020 Scottsdale AZ Open Best Value Picks
- Nate Lashley (+1600): It wasn’t that long ago that Lashley, who went to college in Arizona was toiling on the mini tours. He changed that last year by winning the Rocket Mortgage Classic for his first PGA Tour victory.
- Brandon Harkins (+2200): A veteran with 59 career PGA Tour starts, Harkins finished second on the Korn Ferry Tour four starts ago. He’s posted four career top-10 finishes on tour, so he’s got the game to compete this week.
- Brady Schnell (+10000): Longshot with upside playing with a big chip on his shoulder. Schnell found himself embroiled in controversy last week by calling out Hall-of-Famer Vijay Singh for entering a Korn Ferry Tour event. Naturally, Schnell then enters a tournament this week below his normal tour, just like Singh did. In 2017 won twice on the PGA Tour Latinoamerica and in 2018 won on the Korn Ferry Tour.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.