- The PNC Championship from Ritz-Carlton Golf Club in Orlando, Florida tees off Saturday, December 19th
- Tiger Woods and son Charlie are one of 20 father/son duos competing in the two-day scramble event
- We’ve narrowed down the pairs with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
The PNC Championship (formerly known as the PNC Father-Son Challenge) is a fun two day tournament that sees a flurry of birdies made with fathers and their sons competing in Orlando, Florida. There are a few teams comprised of grandsons or daughters as well, each with the goal of winning – but the event is known for the entertainment factor.
In order to qualify for this tournament, the elder statesmen must have won a major championship or the Players Championship, and their partner can’t also be a touring professional. The format is scramble, commonly referred to as best-ball, where each duo hits their tee shots, they select the best one, and that continues throughout the duration of the hole.
In recent years, the event has seen John Daly’s teenage son, “Little John”, star and wow the crowds with his prodigious shot making, but this year there’s a new entry in town. For the first time, Tiger Woods will be competing with his son Charlie, and they’re tied for the second shortest odds to come out on top after the 36-hole event. Are they worth the risk of wagering on or is your money best spent elsewhere?
2020 PNC Championship Odds
|Justin Thomas & Father||+200|
|Tiger Woods & Son||+600|
|Matt Kuchar & Son||+600|
|Bubba Watson & Father-in-Law||+600|
|Jim Furyk & Son||+800|
|John Daly & Son||+1000|
|Tom Lehman & Son||+1200|
|Padraig Harrington & Son||+1600|
|Vijay Singh & Son||+2000|
|Bernhard Langer & Daughter||+2000|
|David Duval & Son||+4000|
|Mark O’Meara & Son||+5000|
|Lee Janzen & Son||+5000|
|Lee Trevino & Son||+6600|
|Mark Calcavecchia & Son||+6600|
|Tom Kite & Son||+8000|
|Greg Norman & Son||+10000|
|Nick Price & Son||+12500|
|Gary Player & Grandson||+15000|
|Annika Sorenstam & Father||+20000|
Odds as of December 17th
Tiger & Son Charlie Competing for First Time
Though it would normally be a stretch to think an 11-year-old kid could help his father enough to win this two-day tournament, consider the fact that Charlie will be hitting from forward tees which will help immensely in the scramble format. He’s also learned from arguably the best player ever.
Charlie Woods’ swing is looking a lot like his dad’s these days. 👀
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) January 12, 2020
Charlie has been crushing his competition in junior events – much like his father did – and doesn’t appear to shy away from the spotlight.
If Charlie can hit it pretty well in the fairway and make some putts, that should be enough to have loads of birdie opportunities with his father’s precise iron play.
Home on the range. 🏌️🏌️ pic.twitter.com/KnSM6bPrmk
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) December 17, 2020
The favorites that stand in their way are Justin Thomas and his dad, a PGA professional, so that is definitely a steep hill to climb. Apart from them, there’s no obvious clear cut champion, so laying a wager on Tiger and his son at +600 is still worthwhile.
Last Five PNC Championship Winners
|2019||Bernhard Langer & Son|
|2018||Davis Love III & Son|
|2017||Angel Cabrera & Son|
|2016||David Duval & Son|
|2015||Lanny Wadkins & Son|
PNC Championship Best Value Picks
- John Daly & Son (+1000): Much like Tiger and his son, John Daly’s son ‘Little John’ will be able to use different tees than adults, and he’s already proven to be stellar in this tournament in the past. In 2018 they held the first round lead before finishing T-2nd, and last year they were fifth.
- David Duval & Son (+4000): Very intriguing odds for the champions in 2016. They finished fourth last year at 21-under-par. David doesn’t play much professional golf these days in lieu of being a broadcaster, but considering their past successes on this course, these odds are very juicy.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.