- Submission Underground 19 goes down on December 20th, 2020
- A star-studded lineup includes Donald Cerrone, Rafael dos Anjos, Rumble Johnson, and Ryan Bader among others
- See below for the odds and a betting prediction for SUG 19
Submission Underground holds their final event of 2020 as SUG 19 goes down on Sunday, December 20th, 2020 in Portland, Oregon. Chael Sonnen’s grappling promotion has continued to hold events at a secret location during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the main event, Mason Fowler looks to defend his belt against former Bellator and RIZIN fighter Satoshi Ishii. The card also features Donald Cerrone vs Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Johnson vs Ryan Bader, Brent Primus vs Craig Jones, and Felicia Spencer vs Amanda Loewen.
SUG 19 Odds
|Rafael dos Anjos||-245|
Odds as of Dec. 17
Does Fowler Defend His Belt?
Mason Fowler shocked many when he beat Craig Jones at SUG 16. However, he proved he is the better grappler when he defeated the Aussie again at SUG 17. Since then, he has picked up another win at SUG 18. Satoshi Ishii, meanwhile, did compete at Polaris and Quintet and has a grappling win over Frank Mir.
Fowler vs Ishii
|Craig Jones, Vinny Magalhaes||Notable Wins||Frank Mir|
|Brown belt under Gabriel Procópio||Belt||Black belt in BJJ|
Mason Fowler dipped his toes into MMA as he won two fights but has solely been focused on grappling. For the longest time, Jones was the top-dog but after Fowler beat him twice, he became arguably the biggest star in grappling.
What makes this match interesting is the fact Fowler is around 170lbs while Ishii last fought at 244lbs. Ishii should be stronger and could very well just use strength to get out of positions. However, I don’t see that happening as Fowler is so technically sound on the ground. I expect him to be much faster and eventually get ahold of Ishii’s neck and force him to tap and defend his SUG belt.
Pick: Mason Fowler (-700)
Other SUG 19 Picks:
- Amanda Loewen (-600): Felicia Spencer is a good MMA grappler, but just grappling without punches is different. I expect Spencer to get it to overtime, but Loewen eventually gets her neck and forces her to tap.
- Rafael dos Anjos (-245): dos Anjos and Cerrone fought in the UFC in 2015, where RDA won by first-round KO. Now, in a rematch – although it is grappling – I like RDA to tap out Cerrone in overtime.
- Craig Jones (-550): Craig Jones is still one of the best grapplers and, I believe he’ll get his patented heel hook sub early in this match.
- Ryan Bader (-325): Johnson isn’t much of a grappler, so I like Bader to get his back and sink in a choker early.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.