Upcoming Match-ups

Southampton vs Liverpool Odds & Prediction – Premier League (May 17)

Gary Gowers

by Gary Gowers in Soccer

May 17, 2022 · 4:00 AM PDT

Premier League Matchday 1
Liverpool's Sadio Mane, third left, celebrates scoring his sides second goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England, Sunday, May 23, 2021. (Paul Ellis/Pool via AP)
  • It’s Southampton vs Liverpool in the EPL on Tuesday, May 17 at 2:45 pm ET
  • This is a must-win for Liverpool if they wish to take the title race to the final day of the season
  • We preview the game, look at the Southampton vs Liverpool odds, and offer some picks below

It is Southampton vs Liverpool at St Mary’s on Tuesday, May 17 at 2:45 pm ET in both teams’ penultimate game of the EPL campaign. Despite Man City dropping two points at the London Stadium against West Ham at the weekend, the destiny of the title still remains in their hands.

With a four-point gap between themselves and leaders Man City, all the Reds can do is win this game-in-hand and then hope Guardiola’s men slip up at Villa Park on Sunday. After winning the FA Cup at the weekend, the Reds will be in a buoyant mood.

We preview Southampton vs Liverpool and offer below the best picks for this massive EPL  clash.

Southampton vs Liverpool Odds

Matchup Moneyline
Southampton +650
Liverpool -265
Draw +440

Odds as of May 17 at Barstool Sportsbook

The bookies have Liverpool listed as odds-on favorites in the EPL odds at -265, which comes with a 69% implied win probability, compared to Southampton’s +650 with an implied probability of just 13%. The draw also offers a good return at +440, with an implied probability of 18%.

BARSTOOL SPORTSBOOK
Get a risk-free $1,000 Bet today!
States: AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NJ, PA, TN, VA, and WV
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER. In TN call or text the TN REDLINE 800-889-9789
LOCK IN PROMO
CODE: DIME1000
CODE: DIME1000
SIGNUP PROMO
$1,000
RISK-FREE BET

GET PROMO

Over/Under and Spread

Barstool lead with over 3.5 goals at a plus-money +112, which is based on Liverpool’s free-scoring front three doing to Saints what they have done to almost everybody of late, albeit not at the weekend The plus money part of that makes it a tempting bet.

If you’re new to this sport and want to know how to bet on soccer then our page offers help on how to bet on this game and others like it.

Southampton vs Liverpool  Prediction

It’s been a mixed season for Ralph Hasenhuttl’s men, but Leeds’ failure at the weekend to beat Brighton meant the Saints will definitely be playing Premier League soccer again next season. Playing away from St Mary’s has been difficult for Saints this season and was highlighted again at on Sunday when they were comfortably beaten 3-0 by Brentford at their Community Stadium.

Three defeats in their last six have seen Southampton drop to 15th in the table but with their survival now assured Hassenhuttl can at least start looking forward to next season. One of the big questions that need answering is how to replace the goals of Danny Ings, who they sold last summer to Aston Villa.

Saints to Sign Off in Style?

The Saints will, of course, hope to sign off in style in front of their own fans, particularly as there has been no love lost between themselves and Liverpool over the last few seasons, but this is a Klopp team that has proven time and time against that it can deliver under pressure.

Southampton vs Liverpool Head-to-Head Stats

Southampton
VS
Liverpool
9-13-14 EPL record in 2021-22 26-8-2
41 – 61 Goals for – Goals against 89 – 24
405 Passes per match 616
77% Pass accuracy 85%
13.1 Average shots per game 18.8
L-W-L-D-L-L EPL form guide W-W-W-D-W-W

FA Cup Glory for Reds

Despite being taken to a penalty shoot-out by Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea for the second consecutive cup final – the exact same goalless scenario occurred in the EPL final – Klopp’s Liverpool again showed their unshakeable ability to be able to perform under the most extreme pressure.  Kostas Tsimikas’ winning pen sparked jubilant scenes and kept alive their slender hopes of the quadruple.

At the very least, they already have the cup double completed, with the chance of making it a hattrick when they meet Real Madrid in the Champions League final on Saturday, May 28, but a win here would keep the EPL title bubbling up to the final minutes of the season.

Reds Capable of ‘Finding a Way’

The Reds’ 2-1 away win at Aston Villa last week was another good example of them being able to find a way even when not playing well and it may be a similar type of game at St Mary’s, where Saints will look to be solid and not get caught by those lightning Liverpool counter-attacks.

Southampton vs Liverpool Team Lineups and Injuries

Southampton Projected Lineup: Forster, Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud, Redmond, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, S. Armstrong, Adams, Broja.

Southampton Injuries: Livramento,

Liverpool Projected Lineup: Alisson, Gomez, Matip, Konate, Robertson, Jones, Henderson, Keita, Jota, Firmino, Diaz.

Liverpool Injuries: Salah, Van Dijk.

Southampton vs Liverpool Pick

With Saints in nothing-to-lose mode, they will give everything here to send their fans home happy one final time, but the Red machine seems unstoppable right now and still has its eyes firmly fixed on the prize. Klopp knows the unpredictability of soccer could yet leave them in with a chance on the final day, so he will have his men set up to grind out a narrow win.

Pick: Liverpool to win 2-1 (+700) 

Author Image