2021 NHL Hart Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2021 NHL Hart Trophy?
- Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon opens as the favorite to win this year’s Hart Trophy
- Track and visualize how odds fluctuate throughout the 2020-21 NHL campaign
The Professional Hockey Writers’ Association has awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy to the league’s most valuable player since 1926, a whopping 16 years before the original six era officially began. With 31 teams in the NHL and league parity at an all-time high, the Hart Trophy race has never been more exciting.
We’ll be tracking all the odds available at sportsbooks all year, providing you with coverage on how notable players’ odds to win the Hart fluctuate throughout the season.
Odds for 2021 Hart Trophy
- [Nov 9, 2020]: Nathan MacKinnon has opened as the favorite to win the 2021 Hart Trophy at +650. Last year’s winner Leon Draisaitl has opened at +1150 odds
2021 Hart Trophy Top Contenders
|Nathan MacKinnon (Avalanche)||+650|
|Connor McDavid (Oilers)||+700|
|Artemi Panarin (Rangers)||+1000|
|Nikita Kucherov (Lightning)||+1100|
|Leon Draisaitl (Oilers)||+1150|
|Jack Eichel (Sabres)||+1400|
|Auston Matthews (Leafs)||+1600|
|David Pastrnak (Bruins)||+1700|
|Brayden Point (Lightning)||+1700|
|Taylor Hall (Sabres)||+2000|
Odds taken Nov. 9
NHL Hart Trophy Trends to Consider
- No non-forward has won the Hart in the last 15 years with the sole exception of Carey Price in 2014-2015.
- It’s almost impossible for players to win the Hart Trophy if their teams don’t make the playoffs. It hasn’t happened since Mario Lemieux won the trophy in 1988 and only four times in this history of the league.
- The player who wins the Hart will likely lead the league in either goals, points, or both. The only two post-lockout exceptions to this rule are Taylor Hall in 2018 and Carey Price in 2015.
- Hockey writers not only focus on larger market teams when they cast their votes, but they tend to vote for players in the Eastern Conference. In the post-lockout era, 10 out of 14 Hart Trophy-winners have played in the East.
2021 Hart Trophy Odds for Players on Canadian Teams
Canadian teams are home to a lot of top-flight talent this season, including three of the last 10 winners in Leon Draisaitl (2020), Connor McDavid (2017), and Carey Price (2015).
2021 Hart Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Last 10 Hart Trophy Winners
|2019-2020||Leon Draisaitl (Edmonton Oilers)||43||67||110||24|
|2018-2019||Nikita Kucherov (Tampa Bay Lightning)||41||87||128||25|
|2017-2018||Taylor Hall (New Jersey Devils)||39||54||93||26|
|2016-2017||Connor McDavid (Edmonton Oilers)||30||70||100||20|
|2015-2016||Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks)||46||60||106||27|
|2014-2015||Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens)||N/A (1.96 GAA)||N/A (.933 SV%)||N/A (44 W)||27|
|2013-2014||Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins)||36||68||104||26|
|2012-2013||Alex Ovechkin (Washington Capitals)||32||24||56||27|
|2011-2012||Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins)||50||59||109||25|
|2010-2011||Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks)||50||48||98||25|
The median age of Hart Trophy winners in the last 10 years is 25. The youngest winner over the last 10 years is Connor McDavid, who was only 20 when he won the Hart in 2017.
Carey Price was the first goaltender to win the Hart Trophy in 2016 in over 10 years. Jose Theodore won the Hart in 2002 with the Montreal Canadiens as well.
Players with Multiple Hart Trophies
|Wayne Gretzky||9||1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989|
|Gordie Howe||6||1952, 1953, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1963|
|Eddie Shore||4||1933, 1935, 1936, 1938|
|Bobby Clarke||3||1973, 1975, 1976|
|Mario Lemieux||3||1988, 1993, 1996|
|Howie Morenz||3||1928, 1931, 1932|
|Bobby Orr||3||1970, 1971, 1972|
|Alexander Ovechkin||3||2007, 2008, 2013|
|Sidney Crosby||2||2007, 2014|
|Dominik Hasek||2||1997, 1998|
|Phil Esposito||2||1969, 1974|
|Mark Messier||2||1990, 1992|