2023 NHL Hart Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2023 NHL Hart Trophy?
- Connor McDavid has opened as the favorite to win his third MVP award
- Track and visualize how odds fluctuate throughout the 2022-23 NHL offseason
The Professional Hockey Writers’ Association has awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy to the league’s most valuable player since 1926, a whopping 16 years before the original six era officially began. With 32 teams in the NHL and league parity at an all-time high, the Hart Trophy race has never been more exciting. See which players are competing for the most coveted trophy with up-to-date odds below.
Fans north of the border should be excited. Canada online sports betting is now live, which means Canadian hockey fans can bet on their favorite players to win the Hart Trophy starting with Connor McDavid, who is the favorite to win. Colorado online sports betting markets, meanwhile, list playoff MVP Cale Makar as a longshot at +2000.
We’ll be tracking all the odds available at sportsbooks all year, providing you with coverage on how notable players’ odds to win the Hart fluctuate throughout the season.
Top Hart Trophy Contenders
- [July 18]: Connor McDavid has opened as the favorite to win his third league MVP after finishing second in the 2022 Hart Trophy voting. Last year’s winner Auston Matthews is listed at +400.
Hart Trophy Odds
|Connor McDavid (Oilers)||+300|
|Auston Matthews (Maple Leafs)||+420|
|Leon Draisaitl (Oilers)||+600|
|Nathan MacKinnon (Avalanche)||+1000|
|Kirill Kaprizov (Wild)||+1200|
|Mikko Rantanen (Avalanche)||+1200|
|Aleksander Barkov (Panthers)||+1500|
|Jonathan Huberdeau (Flames)||+1500|
|Nikita Kucherov (Lightning)||+1500|
|Igor Shesterkin (Rangers)||+2000|
|Cale Makar (Avalanche)||+2000|
|Alex Ovechkin (Capitals)||+3000|
|Mitch Marner (Maple Leafs)||+2500|
|Evgeni Malkin (Penguins)||+2500|
|Jack Eichel (Golden Knights)||+2500|
|Andrei Vasivelskiy (Lightning)||+3000|
|Sidney Crosby (Penguins)||+3000|
|David Pastrnak (Bruins)||+3500|
Odds as of July 18th at FanDuel Sportsbook
NHL Hart Trophy Trends to Consider
- No non-forward has won the Hart in the last 15 years with the sole exception of Carey Price in 2014-2015.
- It’s almost impossible for players to win the Hart Trophy if their teams don’t make the playoffs. It hasn’t happened since Mario Lemieux won the trophy in 1988 and only four times in this history of the league.
- The player who wins the Hart will likely lead the league in either goals, points, or both. The only two post-lockout exceptions to this rule are Taylor Hall in 2018 and Carey Price in 2015.
- Hockey writers not only focus on larger market teams when they cast their votes, but they tend to vote for players in the Eastern Conference. In the post-lockout era, 12 out of 16 Hart Trophy-winners have played in the East.
2023 Hart Trophy Odds for Players on Canadian Teams
Canadian teams are home to a lot of top-flight talent this season, including five of the last 10 winners in Auston Matthews (2022), Leon Draisaitl (2020), Connor McDavid (2021 & 2017), and Carey Price (2015).
2023 Hart Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Last 10 Hart Trophy Winners
|2021-2022||Auston Matthews (Toronto Maple Leafs)||73||60||46||106||24|
|2020-2021||Connor McDavid (Edmonton Oilers)||56||33||72||105||24|
|2019-2020||Leon Draisaitl (Edmonton Oilers)||71||43||67||110||24|
|2018-2019||Nikita Kucherov (Tampa Bay Lightning)||82||41||87||128||25|
|2017-2018||Taylor Hall (New Jersey Devils)||76||39||54||93||26|
|2016-2017||Connor McDavid (Edmonton Oilers)||82||30||70||100||20|
|2015-2016||Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks)||82||46||60||106||27|
|2014-2015||Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens)||66||N/A (1.96 GAA)||N/A (.933 SV%)||N/A (44 W)||27|
|2013-2014||Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins)||80||36||68||104||26|
|2012-2013||Alex Ovechkin (Washington Capitals)||48||32||24||56||27|
The median age of Hart Trophy winners in the last 10 years is 25. The youngest winner over the last 10 years is Connor McDavid, who was only 20 when he won the Hart in 2017. McDavid won his second Hart in 2021 after scoring 105 points in 56 games, which is roughly 1.9 points per game.
Carey Price was the first goaltender to win the Hart Trophy in 2016 in over 10 years. Jose Theodore won the Hart in 2002 with the Montreal Canadiens as well.
Players with Multiple Hart Trophies
|Wayne Gretzky||9||1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989|
|Gordie Howe||6||1952, 1953, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1963|
|Eddie Shore||4||1933, 1935, 1936, 1938|
|Bobby Clarke||3||1973, 1975, 1976|
|Mario Lemieux||3||1988, 1993, 1996|
|Howie Morenz||3||1928, 1931, 1932|
|Bobby Orr||3||1970, 1971, 1972|
|Alex Ovechkin||3||2007, 2008, 2013|
|Connor McDavid||2||2017, 2021|
|Sidney Crosby||2||2007, 2014|
|Dominik Hasek||2||1997, 1998|
|Phil Esposito||2||1969, 1974|
|Mark Messier||2||1990, 1992|
Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, and Connor McDavid are the only active players with multiple Hart Trophies.