- The Players Championship tees off Thursday, March 12th from TPC at Sawgrass
- It’s the strongest field of the year teeing it up in a wildly unpredictable tournament
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
The world’s best all converge at the PGA Tour’s crown jewel event – the Players Championship at the Tournament Players Club at Sawgrass that has one notable omission – Tiger Woods isn’t competing to rest his ailing back.
This is one golf tournament each year that is all over the map, and very rarely does past success translate into predictable future triumphs with Tiger Woods being the only player to have won this event twice since 2001.
The defending champion Rory McIlroy enters as the overwhelming favorite to become the first golfer in the 45-year history of this tournament to win back-to-back Players Championship titles.
2020 Players Championship Odds
|Golfer||Opening Odds||Wednesday Odds|
Odds taken March 11th
Bryson DeChambeau on Cusp of Victory
In his last three starts, Bryson DeChambeau has done everything but win, picking up a runner-up finish at the WGC-Mexico Championship where he let a late lead slip away, finished fourth at the Arnold Palmer Invitational and T-5th at the Genesis Invitational.
Cops a lot of heat for his carry on, but I like Bryson DeChambeau’s passion. Don’t mind being in the minority with this one. pic.twitter.com/7ghw5QsVXL
— Luke Elvy (@Luke_Elvy) March 8, 2020
He’s had two decent-not-great results at the Players Championship in his career (T-20th and T-37th), which shows he has been competitive on this track, and at +2000 odds, you’re getting decent value for a player who has four top-eight finishes in his last five times teeing it up.
Sergio Garcia a Good Candidate to Win Players Championship
As mentioned, this event is wildly unpredictable, yet Sergio is as close to money in the bank as it gets at TPC Sawgrass, which bodes well for his chances at juicy +4000 odds.
The 2008 Players Champ has been oh-so-close a handful of other times, most notably losing in a playoff in 2015, and rinsing three balls in the water on the final two holes in 2013 when he was tied with Tiger Woods for the lead.
Garcia’s Best Finishes at Players Championship
The enigmatic Spaniard has two top-tens in his last five times teeing it up in 2020, with three other respectable results, so for a course that doesn’t favor any one player from year-to-year, he’s as close to a sure bet as anyone that he’ll be in the mix based on his strong play at this event.
Last Five Players Championship Winners
|2017||Si Woo Kim|
2020 Players Championship Best Value Picks
- Tony Finau (+4000): Before two uncharacteristic poor events at Bay Hill and Riviera, Finau was second in Phoenix (lost in a playoff) and also had fifth, T-6th and T-14th showings. Plays big in big events, with five top-10’s in majors in the last two years.
- Marc Leishman (+4000): Coming off a runner-up finish at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Leishman has a win in 2020 (Farmers Insurance Open), along with a third place finish (Safeway Open) this season. Fifth in strokes gained: approaching the green this season which is paramount at the tricky TPC Sawgrass layout.
- Daniel Berger (+5000): In last three starts, has posted T-4th, T-5th and T-9th finishes. Made four straight cuts at this event, highlighted by a T-9th result in 2016. Just one missed cut in last 13 overall events. A perfect candidate for a top-5 or top-10 bet this week.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.