- The Puerto Rico Open tees off Thursday, February 20
- Young hotshot Viktor Hovland the betting favorite
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
While the worlds best are teeing it up in Mexico for the World Golf Championships – Mexico Championship, the rest are competing at the opposite field event at the Puerto Rico Open at the Coco Beach Golf Course.
This tournament has been a breeding ground for golfers to break through for their first PGA Tour victory, with five of the last six winners making this event their maiden breakthrough triumph.
2020 Puerto Rico Open Odds
|Golfer||Book 1 Odds||Book 2 Odds|
Odds taken February 17th
Favorite Viktor Hovland has Cooled Off
Immediately after turning professional Norwegian sensation Viktor Hovland could do no wrong, setting an all-time PGA Tour record with 19 consecutive rounds in the 60’s to go along with eight consecutive cuts, highlighted by a fourth place result at the Wyndham Championship.
"I've never seen this guy in my life." 😂
Here's what happened when 22-year-old Viktor Hovland took a quiz on the 90s.pic.twitter.com/byO5ANTWHj
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) February 11, 2020
The 22-year-old has fallen on some tough times since then, however, missing three of his last five cuts around the world, with the other two finishes being pedestrian with a T-23rd and T-38th in his last event at Pebble Beach. While Hovland has a great chance to earn his first tour title at a watered down event and field, his recent play suggests he shouldn’t be wagered on this week.
Scott Brown a Worthy Bet at Puerto Rico Open
Golf is a totally maddening and confusing game that is so volatile and hard to predict – Scott Brown had missed all four cuts of 2020 before finishing runner-up last week in the deepest field of the season at the Genesis Invitational. He’s been dynamite at the Puerto Rico Open in his career, punctuated by his first tour victory in 2013, making his +2500 odds something to be confident in plunking down some cash on.
Scott Brown’s Best Finishes at Puerto Rico Open
Last Six Puerto Rico Open Winners
*2018 tournament was an unofficial pro-am event. All players except D.A. Points made this their first tour win.
2020 Puerto Rico Open Best Value Picks
- Emiliano Grillo (+2500): Finished runner-up at this event in 2015 after losing in a five-man playoff to Alex Cejka. Has missed last three cuts leading into event, pushing his odds lower, but had four solid tournaments before that. Strong iron player, placing third in strokes gained: approaching the green in 2019 and 20th this season.
- Beau Hossler (+4000): Has made seven of his last nine cuts, with a tie for ninth last month at Torrey Pines. Streaky player who is hard to pinpoint, but is consistently one of the better putters on tour (sixth in 2018, tenth in 2019, 32nd this year.)
- Sam Saunders (+10000): Deep dive with potential big upside. Saunders was also a runner-up at this tournament along with Grillo in 2015. Had another strong finish in 2017 here (T-5th).
Let's have fun and keep it civil.