- The 83rd edition of the Masters tournament tees off Thursday, April 11th
- Some big names find their odds improving while Tiger Woods and Justin Thomas fall
- Who offers the best value on the eve of the tournament?
The excitement in the air is palpable as the Masters returns for the first major of the golf season.
Some big name golfers’ Masters odds have have improved like Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler and Jon Rahm, while Tiger Woods and Justin Thomas’ odds have faded from earlier in the year. So which golfer presents the best value?
2019 Masters Odds
|Golfer||2019 Masters Odds at Bovada|
*Odds taken 04/10/19. Follow the link in the table above to see all options.
Justin Rose Always a Formidable Force at Masters
It’s actually pretty stunning that Justin Rose has not added a green jacket to his closet to go along with his 2013 US Open trophy. If you feel it seems like Rose is always in contention at Augusta National, you’d be right.
Justin Rose’s Last 5 Results at the Masters
|2017||2nd (lost playoff)|
Rose’s odds were at a slightly more appealing +1800 last September compared to his current posting of +1200.
Led after round 1 ✔️
Led after round 2 ✔️
Led after round 3 ✔️
Tied the lead after 72 holes ✔️
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) April 9, 2019
He absolutely has to be on your short list to win with the Englishmen already having tasted victory at the Farmers Insurance Open this year, along with a third place finish and a top-10 in his last two events.
Rickie Fowler Out to Avenge Last Year’s Close Call
By law of averages Rickie Fowler has to finally break through in a big event at some point, right? He has put himself in the thick of things far too often to not pick off a major, perhaps none more frustrating than his dazzling display at Augusta last year, only to come up one shot short to Patrick Reed.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) April 9, 2019
His odds have dropped from an average of +2100 to +1800 since last week likely caused by a rush of wagers placed on him. While it would be fantastic to see him break through, with all those close calls in majors building up scar tissue, his odds don’t present fantastic value.
Rickie Fowler’s Best Finishes in Majors
|2014 Open Championship||T-2nd|
|2014 U.S. Open||T-2nd|
|2014 PGA Championship||T-3rd|
|2017 PGA Championship||T-5th|
|2017 U.S. Open||T-5th|
|2011 Open Championship||T-5th|
Tiger Woods’ Odds Lower than they Should Be
As detailed by us two days ago, Tiger Woods’ odds should be at least doubled, and as tempting as it is to bet on him, you’d be more wise to resist the urge. He’s 74th in strokes gained: putting, which gives considerable pause at Augusta. At least his odds have moved up from +850 last November.
2019 Masters Best Value Picks
- Justin Thomas (+1800): Amazingly coming in super under the radar despite three top-3 finishes this season. Hasn’t been as sharp of late with three straight so-so finishes, but the 2017 PGA champ is dangerous. Average odds moved from +1200 in December to his current number.
- Jason Day (+2800): Way back in November I picked Day for the Masters so why change now? Has a second and third place showing at the Masters, and has six top-13 finishes this season.
- Matt Kuchar (+4000): Incredible value. Three career top-5 placings at the Masters. On fire all season, winning twice and finishing runner-up at WGC-Dell Match Play two weeks ago. Leader of FedEx Cup points list.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.