- The PGA Championship from Oak Hill Country Club in Pittsford, New York tees off Thursday, May 18th
- Jon Rahm is the +700 favorite over Scottie Scheffler to win the Wanamaker Trophy
- See the 2023 PGA Championship odds, picks, and best value bets below
The second major championship of the year is upon us, with the PGA Championship hosting the worlds best at famed Oak Hill Country Club. Jon Rahm, who won the Masters last month, comes in rested and is installed as the favorite to win his third career. Scottie Scheffler, who won the green jacket at Augusta National in 2022, has slightly longer odds than the Spaniard.
Oak Hill Country Club had a restoration a few years ago, so this will play differently from when it last hosted the PGA in 2013, won by Jason Dufner. The defending champion is Justin Thomas, who has two Wanamaker Trophies to his credit. Tiger Woods is not among those competing this week. Jordan Spieth is set to tee it up after withdrawing from last week’s AT&T Byron Nelson. Should Spieth win the PGA, he’d become just the sixth man to achieve the career grand slam.
2023 PGA Championship Odds
The betting favorite in the 2023 PGA Championship odds is Jon Rahm (four wins this season), and right behind him is Scottie Scheffler, who has picked up a pair of victories. Rory McIlroy is the third choice, despite missing the cut at the Masters. Past winner Jason Day snapped a five-year winless drought at the Byron Nelson on Sunday, so he comes in with a lot of confidence.
Odds as of May 15th at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Tony Finau Searching for First Major
Tony Finau has finally learned how to consistently win following many years of close chances. In his last 19 PGA Tour starts, he’s racked up four victories. For the season, he’s first in strokes gained: approaching the green, and third in total strokes gained. He comes into the PGA with a title two starts ago at the Mexico Open.
Tony Finau’s Strokes Gained Stats Last 36 Rounds
Finau enters with +2500 odds to win it all, which is longer than the top-six players on the board. In his career, he’s strung together ten career top-10’s in majors, with three of them being at the PGA Championship.
Past Five PGA Championship Winners
2023 PGA Championship Picks and Value Bets
- Viktor Hovland (+2800): Viktor Hovland has been getting closer and closer to picking off a big title in his young career. Last summer he was in the final group on Sunday at the Open Championship, where he finished T-4th. Then he was T-3rd at the Players Championship this year, and T-7th at the Masters, where he was in the penultimate group in the last round. Hovland has been strong of late, ranking third in ball striking and SG: off-the-tee in his last 24 times teeing it up.
- Tyrrell Hatton (+3500): In twelve starts on the PGA Tour this season, Tyrrell Hatton has racked up five top-10’s. That includes his last two starts, which resulted in a tie for third at the Wells Fargo and a tie for fifth at the AT&T Byron Nelson. On the campaign, the Englishmen is fifth in total strokes gained and sixth in SG: tee-to-green.
- Rickie Fowler (+7500): Rickie Fowler can look at AT&T Byron Nelson champion Jason Day as inspiration. Both have had a career rebirth this season, with Fowler stringing together several solid results. He’s had top-20’s in eight of nine starts, with the other finish being T-31st. In the last 24 rounds he’s eleventh in total strokes gained. Fowler will be interesting to monitor in the top 10/20 markets. He’s had three career top-10’s at the PGA.