- The US Open tees off Thursday, June 13th from Pebble Beach
- Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson are co-favorites to lead after the first round
- Who are the best value picks to lead after 18 holes?
The US Open is just days away from teeing off at prestigious Pebble Beach Golf Links with many of the biggest names in golf showing fine form leading into the event.
Both Bovada and BetOnline have Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson as the co-favorites to lead after the first day. Are they worthy of betting or will someone else lead after the first round?
2019 US Open First Round Leader Odds
|Golfer||Odds at Bovada||Odds at BetOnline|
*Odds taken 06/11/19. Follow the link in the table above to see all options.
Dustin Johnson historically a Quick Starter at US Open
In the last five US Open’s, Dustin Johnson has been accustomed to quick starts, having taken the first round lead twice and been in the top-10 two other times, so expect him to start off strongly this week.
Dustin Johnson’s Last 5 First Rounds at US Open
DJ has tasted success on this course in the past as well, having won two AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Ams. He’s also faced disaster in the 2010 Open, as he lead after 54 holes before a final round 82 saw him plummet down the leaderboard.
2010 U.S. Open greens-in-regulation leaders at Pebble Beach:
48 Davis Love III, Dustin Johnson
47 Alex Cejka
46 Matt Kuchar
44 Tim Clark, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Russell Henley
— Mike O'Malley (@GD_MikeO) June 10, 2019
That awful last round notwithstanding, this is a golf course tailored for Johnson’s game, and he’s worthy of a bet to take the first round lead, especially because he’s third in first round scoring average this year.
Matt Kuchar a Solid Choice to Lead US Open after First Round
Matt Kuchar has been playing fantastic golf, with two victories this season and two runner-ups. He also is leading the season-long FedEx Cup race as well and he’s coming into Pebble Beach in fine form having posted five top-10 finishes in his last seven starts.
Two darts to end the round. 🎯🎯
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) June 7, 2019
Most importantly for the purposes of figuring out who to bet as first round leader, he has the best first round scoring average on tour this year, so with +5000 odds, he’s definitely worth wagering on.
PGA Tour First Round Scoring Leaders
|Player||First Round Scoring Average|
|1. Matt Kuchar||68.07|
|2. Justin Thomas||68.50|
|3. Dustin Johnson||68.91|
|4. Phil Mickelson||69.00|
|5. Jordan Spieth||69.20|
Last 5 US Open First Round Leaders
|2018||D. Johnson/I. Poulter/S. Piercy/R. Henley||-1 (69)|
|2017||Rickie Fowler||-7 (65)|
|2016||Andrew Landry||-4 (66)|
|2015||Dustin Johnson/Henrik Stenson||-5 (65)|
|2014||Martin Kaymer||-5 (65)|
2019 US Open First Round Leader Best Value Picks
- Patrick Cantlay (+2500): Enters the week scorching hot, with a victory in his last event at the Memorial, and posted two third place finishes in the two individual stroke play events before that, including the PGA Championship.
- Adam Scott (+4000): Coming off a runner-up finish to Cantlay at the Memorial. Of the main six strokes gained stats this season, 23rd is his worst ranking (SG: off the tee.) In last four individual stroke play tournaments (Zurich Classic was a team event), nothing worse than an 18th place result.
- Rory Sabbatini (+10000): Long shot pick with upside. T-8th in first round scoring average. Been on a tear, having not missed a cut since February. Four top-10’s in last six events.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.