- Mike Minor is having a great season for the Rangers with an 8-6 record, 3.00 ERA, and 136 strikeouts
- But Texas is 2-8 in its last 10 games and 5.5 games back of a Wild Card spot
- The odds slightly favor the Rangers holding onto Minor at the 2019 trade deadline
With Major League Baseball’s trade deadline now less than 5 days away (July 31st), things will continue to heat up as teams like the Yankees, Braves, and Twins are out to bolster their lineups in hopes of doing damage in the playoffs.
Pitchers are the hottest commodity right now and the Rangers, having fallen out of the AL playoff race, are reportedly shopping Mike Minor.
What team will Mike Minor play for after the 2019 MLB Trade Deadline?
|Team||Odds on where Mike Minor will play after 2019 Trade Deadline|
|New York Yankees||+500|
*Odds taken 07/26/19
Texas Rangers faltering in Wild Card Standings
The Rangers have flirted with the postseason in terms of a Wild-Card berth but have faltered a bit recently. They are 2-8 in their last 10 and now sit 5.5 games back of a playoff spot. Their recent sweep at the hands of AL West-leading Houston put an effective end to their postseason hopes.
The news that Joey Gallo is out for six weeks only solidifies the Rangers’ status as sellers at the deadline.
Mike Minor is the most-talked-about Ranger trade chip. He has enjoyed a great season with an 8-6 record and a 3.00 ERA with 136 strikeouts.
The lefty is under contract through 2020 at a reasonable $9.5 million. The extra year of team control is making the asking price for Minor relatively steep. He also has a ten-team no-trade list as part of his current deal.
Rumors have been circulating that Minor’s no-trade list includes the Yankees. Minor has also stated that he is annoyed about trade rumors and that he wondered if the deal he signed last year with Texas was done so that it would be easier to move him.
Minor could be a good fit with the Braves Organization
Minor began his career in Atlanta and spent five seasons with the Braves before moving on to Kansas City where he spent only one year.
The Braves are poised to take another step here by upgrading their pitching staff should they add Minor. They are first in the N.L East and are looking strong heading into the final two months of the season. They lead the Washington Nationals by 4.5 games and the Phillies by 5.5.
— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) July 26, 2019
The Braves enter a stretch where they play the Phillies three times and the Nationals three in the next week. They could use Minor when they play the Nationals and The Phillies 7 times each in September.
The only hangup for the Braves is that Texas would likely expect some top prospects or juicy picks in an upcoming league draft. The Braves would likely be hesitant to mortgage their future on the current season.
The Best Bet
Given the fact that the Braves would have to give up a hefty prospect haul to get him, look for the Rangers to hold onto Minor after next week.
Bet Rangers -120
SBD’s Trade Deadline Coverage
- Odds Say Yankees Won’t Move Clint Frazier Before Trade Deadline
- Odds Heavily Favor Freddy Galvis Still Being a Blue Jay After MLB Trade Deadline
- Odds on Noah Syndergaard’s Team After Trade Deadline: Mets Heavily Favored to Keep Pitcher, Yankees Given 6-1 Odds
- Red Sox Given +110 Odds to Acquire Ken Giles Before Trade Deadline, Braves Listed at 9-4
- Odds Favor Hunter Pence Being Traded to Tampa Bay Rays Before Trade Deadline; Red-Hot Giants at +500
- Sportsbooks’ Odds Favor Yasiel Puig Remaining a Red After Trade Deadline; Yankees Given 3-1 Odds to Acquire Him
- Odds of Justin Smoak Still Being a Blue Jay After Trade Deadline Set at -185, Indians Listed at 9-2 to Acquire Him
- Odds Heavily Against Giants Trading Madison Bumgarner Before MLB Trade Deadline
- Odds Favor Orioles Not Trading Jonathan Villar Before Deadline
Let's have fun and keep it civil.