The Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs kicks off Saturday (January 13th, 4:35 PM ET) when the Atlanta Falcons take to the road again to meet the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. When this game gets underway, the temperature is expected to be around 42° Fahrenheit, dropping to near-freezing come the fourth quarter. Here is your full betting preview, including expert advice and where to find the best odds for wagering both sides of the moneyline, the spread, and the game total.
Team Injury Reports
FALCONS vs EAGLES
FALCONS OFFENSE vs EAGLES DEFENSE
EAGLES OFFENSE vs FALCONS DEFENSE
Entering Week 14, it was rare to hear a Super Bowl 52 prediction that did not involve the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles. But late in their Week 14 visit to Los Angeles, disaster struck the Eagles. Carson Wentz tore his ACL, simultaneously ending his season and tasking Nick Foles with the job of keeping the Eagles on their championship path.
Foles showed well in his first start against the Giants in Week 15, throwing four touchdown passes. In a game-and-a-half of action over the final two weeks, however, the pivot went 23/49 for 202 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. Philadelphia’s stingy defense played a major role in the team’s 13-3 season, but they will need Foles and the offense to do their part to advance beyond the experienced Atlanta Falcons in the Divisional Round.
The 2016 NFC Champions got off to a slow start in 2017, going 4-4 through Week 9. But the Falcons won six of eight in the back half of the season to secure a spot in this year’s dance. They made it seven of nine last weekend with a 26-13 win over the Rams. Matt Ryan and the offense have not been anywhere near as explosive under new offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, ranking 15th in points per game. But thanks to a defense that ranks eighth in points allowed and ninth in yards allowed, Atlanta is back in Super Bowl contention.
In order to walk out of Philadelphia with a win this weekend, Ryan is going to have to reestablish his connection with Julio Jones, whose 5.5 receptions per game and 90.3 receiving yards per game were the lowest totals since 2012 for the five-time Pro Bowl pass-catcher. Putting the ball in Jones’ hands early and often will be vital against an Eagles defense that ranks first against the run.
Philadelphia’s defense won’t be the only challenge Atlanta will be dealing with, though. The Falcons will be outside of their warm dome, in near-freezing temperatures. If Matt Ryan and company are unaffected by the conditions, there’s a solid chance Atlanta will book its ticket back to the NFC Championship.
Falcons vs Eagles Betting Opportunities
Betting the Moneyline
BEST FALCONS MONEYLINE: -147
This moneyline is available at BetOnline, who have massive maximum bonuses.
BEST EAGLES MONEYLINE: +135
You can find this bet at Bovada, a site generally known for offering great value on underdogs.
FALCONS STRAIGHT-UP TRENDS
- ATL has won seven of its last nine games SU
- ATL is 6-3 SU on the road this season
- ATL is 10-4 SU as a favorite this season
- ATL is 5-1 SU as a road favorite this season
- ATL is 10-3 SU vs the NFC this season
EAGLES STRAIGHT-UP TRENDS
- PHI is 3-1 SU in its last four games
- PHI is 7-1 SU at home this season
- PHI is 3-2 SU as an underdog this season
- PHI is 0-1 SU as a home underdog this season
- PHI is 2-1 SU when Nick Foles starts at QB this season
HEAD-TO-HEAD STRAIGHT-UP TRENDS
- ATL is 3-1 SU in the last four meetings with PHI
- The home team is 4-1 SU in the last five meetings
- The favorite is 1-3 SU in the last four meetings
- The team that scores first has won each of the last six meetings
EXPERT MONEYLINE ADVICE: EAGLES +135
For as bad as Nick Foles has looked in his last two starts, he is a serviceable quarterback. And with two weeks to prepare, Doug Pederson will have a scheme in place to get just enough out of the 28-year-old, relying on his defense to win him this game. Matt Ryan and company will not handle the conditions well, and will see their hopes of avenging their epic Super Bowl 51 collapse end early.
Betting Against the Spread
BEST FALCONS SPREAD: -3 (-102)
You can find this wager at SportsBetting.ag, who are offering very generous bonuses under their new ownership.
BEST EAGLES SPREAD: +3 (-105)
This bet is available at Bovada, the most trafficked online sportsbook for US bettors.
FALCONS ATS TRENDS
- ATL is 6-3 ATS in its last nine games
- ATL is 3-6 ATS on the road this season
- ATL is 7-7 ATS as a favorite this season
- ATL is 2-4 as a road favorite this season
- ATL is 3-5 ATS vs other playoff teams this season
- ATL is 3-1 ATS in the playoffs since 2016
EAGLES ATS TRENDS
- PHI is 10-6 ATS this season
- PHI is 5-3 ATS at home this season
- PHI is 3-2 ATS as an underdog this season
- PHI is 0-1 ATS as a home underdog this season
- PHI is 0-3 ATS when Nick Foles starts at QB this season
HEAD-TO-HEAD ATS TRENDS
- ATL is 3-1 ATS in the last four meetings
- The home team is 4-1 ATS in the last five meetings
- The favorite is 1-3 ATS in the last four meetings
- The team that scores first has covered the spread in each of the last six meetings
- In the last seven matchups, the team that wins the game SU has also covered the spread
EXPERT ATS ADVICE: EAGLES +3 (-105)
I love the idea of getting points with a home team whose stingy defense is welcoming a dome-offense to town. Doug Pederson will put this game in the hands of his fourth-ranked defense, and they will not disappoint.
Betting the Game Total
BEST OVER ODDS: 41 (-110)
You’ll find this total at GT Bets, who stand out for having creative promos.
BEST UNDER ODDS: 41.5 (-110)
This wager is available at TopBet, where you’ll also receive very generous reload bonuses.
FALCONS TOTALS TRENDS
- The total has gone UNDER in ATL’s last six games
- The UNDER is 12-5 in ATL games this season
- The UNDER is 6-3 when ATL plays on the road this season
- The UNDER is 9-5 when ATL is favored this season
- The UNDER is 9-4 when ATL plays the NFC this season
EAGLES TOTALS TRENDS
- The OVER is 8-8 in PHI games this season
- The UNDER is 5-3 in PHI home games this season
- The OVER is 4-1 when PHI is an underdog this season
- The UNDER is 1-0 when PHI is a home underdog this season
- The UNDER is 2-1 when Nick Foles starts at QB this season
HEAD-TO-HEAD TOTALS TRENDS
- The OVER is 3-2 in the last five meetings
- The OVER is 2-1 in the last three games played in PHI
EXPERT TOTALS ADVICE: UNDER 41.5 (-110)
The Falcons’ offense has disappointed all year long, and that won’t change in frigid temperatures against the league’s fourth-ranked scoring defense. Philadelphia is not interested in turning this into a shootout, so expect a very conservative offensive game-plan for Nick Foles and company.