2020 Heisman Trophy Odds Tracker
- Alabama WR Devonta Smith captured the 2020 Heisman Trophy
- Smith was the first receiver to win the trophy since Desmond Howard in 1991
- See how Smith went from extreme longshot to prohibitive favorite
The 2020 Heisman Trophy race was full of twists and turns. Both Florida QB Kyle Trask and Alabama QB Mac Jones were odds-on favorites at one point during the abbreviated season. But a frantic finish to the year from Alabama wideout Devonta Smith propelled the 6’1 senior to the highest individual honor in the land.
The charts below show how the odds changed for Smith and the other top contenders over the course of the 2020 college football season.
2020 Heisman Trophy Contenders
- Jan. 5: Devonta Smith was bet up to a -1000 favorite in the week before the ceremony. Jones became a distant +600 second-favorite.
- Dec. 28: The four finalists are Alabama WR Devonta Smith (-180), Alabama QB Mac Jones (+191), Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence (+500), and Florida QB Kyle Trask (+2425).
- Dec. 21: Another monster game for Alabama WR Devonta Smith (15 rec., 184 yds, 2 TDs) has vaulted him to odds-on favorite at -184 on average. His QB, Mac Jones, has fallen to a distant second at +161.
- Dec. 14: Florida’s upset loss to LSU led to Trask fading badly from -105 to +425. Jones is heavily favored at -213 heading into the conference championship games.
- Dec. 7: Mac Jones (-124) has regained his status as Heisman favorite, sitting slightly ahead of Kyle Trask (-105) after Week 14.
- Nov. 30: A huge performance against Auburn in the Iron Bowl led to Mac Jones improving from +300 to +185, closing the gap on Kyle Trask (-134).
- Nov. 25: Kyle Trask (-147) is now a huge favorite, with Mac Jones (+300) a distant second.
- Nov. 16: UF’s Trask is now the chalk at +220, but the top four (including Fields, Jones, and Lawrence) are all +263 or shorter.
- Nov. 9: Kyle Trask (+675) is back within striking distance of Fields, Jones, and Lawrence thanks to a huge game against Georgia (474 passing yards, 4 TD, 1 INT en route to a 44-28 upset victory).
- Nov. 1: Lawrence faded from -132 to +275. Both Justin Fields (+142) and Mac Jones (+150) have shorter odds after Week 9.
- Oct. 29: Trevor Lawrence was diagnosed with COVID today. The Heisman odds are off the board everywhere. Lawrence was a -132 favorite this morning.
- Oct. 26: An impressive first game from Justin Fields (20-of-21 for 276 yards and two passing TDs plus 54 yards and one TD on the ground) led to his odds improving from +700 all the way to +290.
- Oct. 18: This marks the first time this season that a player has been an odds-on favorite. Lawrence improved from +103 all the way to -162.
- Oct. 11: A big game against Miami led to Trevor Lawrence’s odds improving from +300 to +103. He’s now the odds-on favorite at some books.
- Oct. 6: Florida’s Kyle Trask has improved from +2033 to +600 over the last two weeks. He’s now the third-favorite, behind Lawrence and Fields.
- Sep. 30: A number of Pac-12 players are back on the board with the conference announcing it will play a seven-game schedule starting in early November. The players include: Kedon Slovis (QB, USC: +1000), CJ Verdell (RB, Oregon: +1000), and Jayden Daniels (QB, ASU: +10000).
- Sep. 21: Two of the top-six favorites – Justin Fields (Ohio State) and JT Daniels (Georgia) – still have not played a game.
- Sep. 16: OU’s Spencer Rattler improved from +900 to +400 after a phenomenal first game (14/17, 290 yards, four TDs). Caveat: it was against Missouri State.
- June 15: Eight out of the top-20 favorites are from the SEC at this point (and 10 of the top 25). No other conference has more than four in the top 25.
- June 8: Myles Brennan, a.k.a. Joe Burrow’s replacement at LSU, has fallen all the way to +2650 after opening at +900.
- May 23: Lawrence (+333) and Fields (+303) have flip-flopped at the top again; the Buckeye pivot is once again the favorite.
- May 10: A new slate of options are on the board, including Taulia Tagovailoa, Bryce Young, and John Rhys Plumlee.
- Mar. 13: Texas QB Sam Ehlinger has vaulted into the top-five favorites at +1000. He was as long as +1600.
- Feb. 11: D’Eriq King is now a top-five favorite at +875, which only trails Lawrence (+308) and Fields (+317).
- Jan. 20: After officially transfering from Houston to Miami, D’Eriq King has entered the top 15 in the 2020 Heisman odds at an average of +1750.
- Jan. 8: The second set of odds sees Lawrence (+225) jump Fields (+250) as the favorite. We have so far left Chuba Hubbard off the graphs, believing the OK St junior will declare for the draft.
- Dec. 20: Justin Fields has opened as a +250 favorite, closely followed by Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence. After the two favorites, there is a sharp drop to Alabama’s Mac Jones in third (+800).
Final Heisman Trophy Odds
|Devonta Smith (WR, Alabama)||-1000|
|Mac Jones (QB, Alabama)||+600|
|Trevor Lawrence (QB, Clemson)||+825|
|Najee Harris (RB, Alabama)||+6250|
Odds as of Jan 5, 2021.