As per tradition, the nominees for this mock awards show were unveiled one day before the Academy Awards announced its nominees. The winners will be named on March 3, which is, as you might have guessed, the day before the Oscars ceremony.
Like most years, there was no shortage of foul smells coming out of theatres in 2017. Baywatch, The Emoji Movie, Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy, and Transformers: The Last Knight provided 40 ounces of awful last year and each received a nomination for Worst Picture.
The Last Knight leads the pack with seven noms total, including Worst Actor (Mark Wahlberg), Worst Supporting Actor (Josh Duhamel), Worst Supporting Actress (Laura Haddock), and Worst Director (Michael Bay).
Other actors on the list include Tom Cruise for The Mummy, Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan for Fifty Shades Darker, Emma Watson for The Circle, Tyler Perry for Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (in the Worst Actress category), and for some inexplicable reason, Jennifer Lawrence for Mother!.
Just like the Oscars, though, the Razzie nominations had some notable snubs, largely because the individuals behind the awards have gotten lazy. They like to zing big blockbusters instead doing the actual work required to find the worst content of the year.
We can’t say we blame them for avoiding that unenviable task, but still, where is The Snowman? That film was released without being completed and scored just 7% on Rotten Tomatoes.
That’s a small quibble, though, and the movies that did receive nominations are, without exception, god awful. Time to set the odds on who will be honored as the worst of all.
- The Emoji Movie: 2/1
- Baywatch: 4/1
- Fifty Shades Darker: 4/1
- The Mummy: 17/3
- Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 8/1
- Katherine Heigl – Unforgettable: 3/2
- Dakota Johnson – Fifty Shades Darker: 3/1
- Tyler Perry – BOO! 2: A Medea Halloween: 4/1
- Emma Watson – The Circle: 9/1
- Jennifer Lawrence – Mother!: 19/1
- Tom Cruise – The Mummy: 3/2
- Johnny Depp – Pirates of The Caribbean XIII: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 3/1
- Mark Wahlberg – Daddy’s Home 2 & Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 3/1
- Jamie Dornan – Fifty Shades Darker: 19/1
- Zac Efron – Baywatch: 19/1
Worst Supporting Actor
- Russell Crowe – The Mummy: 2/1
- Mel Gibson – Daddy’s Home 2: 3/1
- Javier Bardem – Mother! & Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 4/1
- Anthony Hopkins – Collide & Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 17/3
- Josh Duhamel – Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 15/1
Worst Supporting Actress
- Kim Basinger – Fifty Shades Darker: 1/1
- Sofia Boutella – The Mummy: 3/1
- Goldie Hawn – Snatched: 17/3
- Laura Haddock – Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 19/1
- Susan Sarandon – A Bad Moms Christmas: 19/1
Worst Screen Combo
- Any Combination of Two Characters, Two Sex Toys or Two Sexual Positions – Fifty Shades Darker: 1/1
- Any Two Obnoxious Emojis – The Emoji Movie: 3/1
- Tyler Perry & either The Ratty Old Dress or Worn Out Wig – BOO! 2: A Madea Halloween: 4/1
- Johnny Depp & His Worn Out Drunk Routine – Pirates of the Caribbean XIII: Dead Careers Tell No Tales: 25/1
- Any Combination of Two Humans, Two Robots or Two Explosions – Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 100/1
Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
- Baywatch: 2/1
- The Mummy: 2/1
- Fifty Shades Darker: 17/3
- Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 9/1
- BOO! 2: A Madea Halloween: 11/1
- Anthony (Tony) Leonidis – The Emoji Movie: 3/2
- Michael Bay – Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 3/1
- James Foley – Fifty Shades Darker: 17/3
- Alex Kurtzman – The Mummy: 9/1
- Darren Aronofsky – Mother!: 9/1
- The Emoji Movie: 2/3
- Baywatch: 4/1
- Fifty Shades Darker: 9/1
- The Mummy: 19/1
- Transformers XVII: The Last Knight: 19/1