- A quality field tees it up at the raucous Waste Management Phoenix Open
- Hideki Matsuyama is poised for yet another title in the desert
- We’ve rounded up the best value picks to emerge victorious
A strong field tees it up this week at the always wild and crazy Waste Management Phoenix Open from January 31st-to-February 3rd. Fans will surely be out in full force on the 16th hole whooping and hollering, which always makes this event unique and refreshing compared to the usual buttoned down nature of the PGA Tour.
2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open Odds
|Golfer||Odds to Win 2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open at Bovada (01/29/19)|
*Follow the link in the table to see all options
Hideki Matsuyama Returns to the Course He Dominates
This event has been owned by Hideki Matsuyama in four of the five years he’s finished the tournament. Last year was the lone exception, as he had to withdraw with a injury. Other than that, he’s been dominant in Phoenix the four other times.
Best scoring average at @WMPhoenixOpen last 10 years (among the 173 players with 10+ rounds played in that span):
Hideki Matsuyama 67.4
Jon Rahm 68.2
Brendan Steele 68.3
Bubba Watson 68.6
Jordan Spieth 68.7
— Justin Ray (@JustinRayGC) January 29, 2019
Hideki Matsuyama’s Last 5 Waste Management Phoenix Open Results
That looks like the type of record you can get on board with. In addition, Matsuyama contended last week at Torrey Pines on his way to a tie for third. At +1200 he doesn’t present amazing odds but he’s definitely the smart man to bet on this week.
• Greenside lip-out
• Fairway metal from bunker
• Fairway metal from bunker 😅
Hideki Matsuyama was incredible from the sand this weekend at Torrey Pines. pic.twitter.com/vyGmJDmjLt
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) January 29, 2019
Last 5 Waste Management Phoenix Open Winners
8,039 days ago 📆: @TigerWoods’ hole-in-one at the 1997 Phoenix Open.
You can still hear the roars. FACT.pic.twitter.com/L3C0U5E20K
— National Club Golfer (@NCGMagazine) January 29, 2019
Rickie Fowler Poised to Break Out of Winless Funk
The fact Rickie Fowler has never won this golf tournament is both shocking but also all too familiar for the man who is stuck on a criminally low four PGA Tour victories.
Fowler has enjoyed success at this event without tasting victory, picking up a pair of runner-up finishes including a playoff loss to Matsuyama in 2016.
Notable Rickie Fowler Results at Waste Management Phoenix Open
Fowler has posted two top-five finishes on tour in his four events this year, so with his strong form in Phoenix it would be a surprise to not see him at least in the mix come Sunday, perhaps wearing his stylish new outfits.
Rickie Fowler's attire turned a LOT of heads on Friday at the Farmers Insurance Open.
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) January 26, 2019
2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open Best Value Picks
- Bubba Watson (+4000): Finished in a tie for second back-to-back years in 2014 and 2015 at this event. Also posted two other top 10’s in Phoenix.
- Cameron Champ (+5000): Prodigious bomber off the tee picked up first victory in October. Picked up two top 10’s quickly thereafter. Hasn’t been as strong in last two tourneys pushing his odds down. Perfect time to jump on these juicy odds.
- Talor Gooch (+8000): How can a guy who finished fourth and third in his last two events still be this of a long shot? Amazing odds for Gooch to earn his maiden victory on the PGA Tour.
- Brenden Steele (+10000): In last seven attempts here Steele has four top 10’s (t-3, t-5, t-6, t-6) with nothing worse than a t-26th result.