- The PGA Tour’s opposite field event to the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational is the Barracuda Championship July 30-August 2nd
- Ryan Moore opened up as the slight +1800 favorite over Russell Henley and Brendan Steele
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
With just one week to go before the first major of the year begins at the PGA Championship, the world’s top players are battling it out for the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational title in Memphis.
The rest of the PGA Tour pros are playing the Barracuda Championship at the Tahoe Mountain Club’s Old Greenwood Course in California.
This tournament uses the Modified Stableford scoring system instead of the regular scores – so players are rewarded two points for birdies, five for eagles and a whopping eight for an albatross. A par is worth zero, and you lose one point for a bogey and three for a double bogey or worse. It’s the one event where you want to see a plus-score beside your name.
With the star-studded field at TPC Southwind and this tournament at a new stop, it is totally up in the air for anybody to grab the title.
2020 Barracuda Championship Odds
|Golfer||Odds at DraftKings|
|Si Woo Kim||+4500|
Odds taken July 28th
Alex Noren Primed for Breakthrough Stateside
38-year old Swede Alex Noren has racked up ten European Tour victories, but has never won on the PGA Tour.
He lost the 2018 Farmers Insurance Open in excruciating fashion on the sixth playoff hole to Jason Day. Noren then very nearly tasted success last week at the 3M Open, where he had to settle in a tie for third.
— Skratch (@Skratch) July 24, 2020
Even though he hasn’t won on the PGA Tour, he’s only been regularly playing it for the last couple of years. Of the players teeing it up, he has the best scoring average on Tour this season, which equates to more opportunities for birdies as aggressive play is rewarded in the Modified Stableford event.
With there being no clear-cut obvious favorite in the field this week, a prolific champion who just came off a tie for third last week presents solid value at +2800.
Last Five Barracuda Championship Winners
Those events were contested at Montrêux Golf and Country Club
2020 Barracuda Championship Best Value Picks
- Richy Werenski (+3500): 54-hole co-leader at last week’s 3M Open ended up finishing T-3rd. 22nd in putting and 31st in birdie average on the campaign, which could be a deadly combo at this tournament. Made six straight cuts coming into the Barracuda.
- Scott Stallings (+5000): Second on tour with twelve eagles this season which could vault him up the board with eagles at a premium. Made six straight cuts with a T-6th being his best result.
- Kyle Stanley (+5000): Fourth in greens in regulation percentage and fifth in driving accuracy this season. Tends to blow hot and cold but against an inferior field, the two-time tour winner stands as good a chance as any with those strong metrics.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.