- The PGA Tour heads to Memphis, Tennessee for the first WGC event since the restart at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational July 30-August 2nd
- Newly minted world #1 Jon Rahm opens as the slight +900 favorite over Rory McIlroy
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
With just one week remaining before the year’s first major at the PGA Championship, the world’s best converge at TPC Southwind for the the FedEx St. Jude Invitational – its second iteration as a WGC event.
While it used to be a regular Tour stop since 1989, the WGC designation gives us a field featuring the top eight in the world, as well as 45 of the top 50.
Last year Brooks Koepka took home the title and returns to defend his crown, but his game hasn’t been as sharp while he battles a persistent knee injury. Dustin Johnson, who also has been going through his own ailments having withdrawn from last week’s 3M Open, is a two-time winner at this venue.
With such a star-studded field all trying to get their games sharp for the first major of 2020, it surely will be a heated battle to win one of the elite tournaments on the schedule.
2020 WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational Odds
|Golfer||Odds at FanDuel|
Odds taken July 29th
Bryson DeChambeau Provides Value as Fourth Favorite
Save for one disastrous quintuple bogey-10 on the 15th hole at the Memorial Tournament in his last start that led to him missing the cut, Bryson DeChambeau has been on an absolute heater.
With that blemish on an otherwise stellar run of the seven previous events, he now finds himself as the fourth favorite to take home the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Classic title.
A 10(!) on the 15th hole will likely end Bryson DeChambeau's top-10 streak at seven. Too bad. But looking forward to the Bryson bashers using one hole to discredit all he's accomplished!
— Alex Myers (@AlexMyers3) July 17, 2020
I’m still inclined to throw out that one bad hole and say DeChambeau is worth taking a good long hard look at based on his results before that meltdown. He had posted seven straight top eight finishes, including a victory at the Rocket Mortgage Classic.
As the fourth player on the board with slightly better value than the three ahead of him at +1400, DeChambeau presents tremendous value.
Last WGC-FedEx St. Jude Classic Champions
*2019 was the first year this was played as a World Golf Championships event
2020 WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational Best Value Picks
- Daniel Berger (+2900): The winner at this venue in both 2016 and 2017, he’s a horse for this course. Prior to a MC at Memorial, had a run of five straight top-10 finishes including four straight top-5 results, capped off by a victory at the Charles Schwab Challenge.
- Dustin Johnson (+3300): He’s coming off a missed cut at the Memorial in which he shot 80-80, and then withdrew from the 3M Open after an opening 78 due to a back injury. If anyone can suddenly return to form it’s DJ. Prior to those two events he won the Travelers Championship and has won on this track twice (2012, 2018).
- Danny Willett (+8000): Deep dive with great upside. The 2016 Masters champ finished T-4th at the Rocket Mortgage Classic and then was squarely in contention after three rounds of the Memorial before a wayward Sunday saw him fall down the board. If you’re not sold on him winning outright, a top 5 or 10 bet would still be a solid payout.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.