- Texas Tech rides a dominating nine-game win streak into the Big 12 Tournament
- Stingy defense is powering Kansas State’s bid for a first-ever tournament title
- Perennial favorite Kansas enjoys attractive odds ahead of a quarterfinal clash with slumping Texas
After marching to their best regular-season record since joining the Big 12 conference in 1996, the Texas Tech Red Raiders have emerged as clear favorites to claim this year’s Big 12 Tournament title, perched as a short +140 bet at MyBookie and BetOnline.
The tournament takes place March 13-16 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.
Odds to Win 2019 Big 12 Conference Tournament
|Team||Big 12 Tournament odds at MyBookie (Mar. 11)||Big 12 Tournament odds at BetOnline|
Big 12 Tournament Bracket
While the Red Raiders (26-5, 14-4 Big 12) shared the Big 12 regular-season title with K-State (24-7, 14-4 Big 12), they will actually be the no. 2 seed in the tournament due to tiebreakers, putting them on the same side of the bracket as Kansas and Texas. The top-seeded Wildcats will have to deal with no. 4 Baylor or no. 5 Iowa State if/when they reach the semifinals.
Red Raiders Red-Hot Entering Big 12 Tournament
Apart from a worrisome three-game losing streak in mid-January, the Red Raiders have been dominant this season. The squad has posted wins in 11 of 12 contests since ending their January swoon, closing out their schedule with a 14-4 Big 12 record and a share of first place.
A very positive pattern has emerged during Tech’s current 8-game winning streak. https://t.co/l9yxVH4qQN
— Wreck 'Em Red (@WreckEm_Red) March 8, 2019
The Red Raiders have also regularly paid out against the spread, claiming victory by an average margin on 18.9 points during their current nine-game win streak. But while the squad has been rewarded in the AP Poll, climbing to No. 7 this week, they continue to lag as a distant but attractive +3300 bet to win the National Championship at MyBookie.
Sooners, Mountaineers Likely No Match for Texas Tech
That is likely just fine with the Red Raiders, who await the winner of Wednesday’s first-round clash between No. 7 Oklahoma and No. 10 West Virginia. The squad enjoyed steady success in dates with the Sooners and Mountaineers this season, winning all four meetings with the conference rivals, including crushing victories over each during the first week of February.
Mountaineers finish the regular season in last place in the Big 12, and will have to take on one of the league’s hottest teams to opener the tournament. https://t.co/q6Rp0YQZsM
— Nick Farrell (@ByNickFarrell) March 9, 2019
The Mountaineers, in particular, have struggled this season, stumbling to a dismal 4-14 record and a last-place finish in the Big 12 standings, earning them longshot status as a +10000 in the Big 12 Tournament at BetOnline.
The Sooners endured a rollercoaster campaign, including a brutal five-game losing streak in early February that preceded a respectable 4-2 stretch run. However, with just one win in five meetings with the hapless Mountaineers, and a three-game SU losing streak against Texas Tech, it is tough to find any value in the +1500 odds of Oklahoma claiming their first Big 12 Tournament title since 2003.
Big 12 Tournament Past Champions
|Year||Big 12 Tournament Champion|
|2017||Iowa State Cyclones|
|2015||Iowa State Cyclones|
|2014||Iowa State Cyclones|
Wildcats, Jayhawks Biggest Threats to Texas Tech’s Dominance
Indeed, the greatest threat to the Red Raiders’ bid to claim their first-ever Big 12 Tournament title will likely come from the two squads most closely trailing them in the futures.
After closing out the schedule on a 5-1 SU run to keep pace with the Red Raiders, the Wildcats now find themselves in a dogfight with the Kansas Jayhawks in the bottom half of the bracket. BetOnline lists them both at +350 to win the conference tournament.
While the Red Raiders have the top-ranked defense in the entire country (according to KenPom.com), the Wildcats (6th in defensive efficiency) are equally stingy.
— Chris Fickett (@ChrisFickett) March 5, 2019
The Wildcats have held opponents to 53 or fewer points in five of their last six contests, and have also regularly outclassed each of its two potential quarterfinal opponents at this year’s tournament.
K-State has claimed victory in five of six dates with the Horned Frogs, including a pair of double-digit wins this season; they have also won and covered in four straight meetings with No. 9 Oklahoma State, capped by an 85-46 rout of the Cowboys as 9.5-point home favorites on February 23.
Kansas State … held the Red Raiders’ offense to a season-low point total in a lopsided 58-45 victory in January.
Kansas State also held the Red Raiders’ offense to a season-low point total in a lopsided 58-45 victory in January.
That said, the school has enjoyed little success in the Big 12 Tournament, falling to the cross-state rival Jayhawks in their only two previous appearances in the tournament final.
Jayhawks Bring Winning Tradition, Attractive Odds into this Year’s Tournament
Indeed, it is tough to ignore the defending tournament champion Jayhawks as a +400 wager at BetOnline.
Kansas stumbled down the stretch, closing out its schedule on a 3-2 SU run to finish third in the standings with a 12-6 record. To say the Jayhawks lost in spectacular fashion in their two late-season defeats would be an understatement.
— A-J Sports (@RaiderSports) February 24, 2019
The squad was embarrassed in a crushing 91-62 loss to the Red Raiders as 4.5-point road underdogs on February 23, and suffered their worst defeat at the hands of the Sooners since 1990 in an 81-68 loss as 2-point road chalk on March 5.
[T]he Jayhawks own a strong reputation for rising to the occasion in the Big 12 Tournament, winning a conference-record 11 tournament titles since 1997
However, the Jayhawks own a strong reputation for rising to the occasion in the Big 12 Tournament, winning a conference-record 11 tournament titles since 1997. Kansas now looks forward to a quarterfinal clash on Thursday with a slumping Texas Longhorns squad that enters the tournament on a shaky 2-5 SU run that features outright losses to Kansas State and TCU as betting chalk. The Longhorns were a much different team without starting two-guard Kerwin Roach. But note that the future pro has been reinstated for the Big 12 tournament.
Longhorns Provide Little Value on Big 12 Tournament Odds
Even with their leading scorer back, the Longhorns appear to offer little value, pegged at a surprisingly strong +900 at BetOnline. Texas has mustered consecutive wins just once during a 6-11 run that has featured lopsided losses to both Texas Tech and Kansas State.
— Texas Longhorns! (@UTLONGHORNSNO1) March 1, 2019
And while the Longhorns breeze by the Jayhawks in a 73-63 win as 1-point home chalk on January 29, it has been 15 years since they tallied consecutive victories over Kansas, going 5-22 SU in 27 meetings since.
SBD’s NCAA conference tournament coverage:
- 2019 Big Sky Conference Tournament Odds: Montana Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Big Ten Conference Tournament Odds: Michigan State Favored
- 2019 AAC Tournament Odds: Houston Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Pac-12 Tournament Odds: Washington Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Big West Conference Tournament Odds: UC Irvine the Odds-On Favorite
- 2019 ACC Tournament Odds: Virginia, not Duke, Listed as Slight Favorite
- 2019 SEC Tournament Odds: Tennessee & Kentucky Favored Over LSU
- 2019 Big East Conference Tournament Odds: Villanova Favored Over Slumping Marquette
- 2019 MEAC Tournament Odds: Norfolk State Listed as Favorites
- Lipscomb Odds-On Favorite to Win NCAAM Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament
- Colgate Odds-On Favorite to Win Patriot League Tournament
- 2019 Horizon League Tournament Odds: Northern Kentucky Favored
- 2019 Big South Tournament Odds: Radford Favored
- 2019 MAAC Tournament Odds: Iona & Rider Listed as Co-Favorites
- 2019 Colonial Conference Tournament Odds: Hofstra Given Edge Over Northeastern
- Saint Francis Red Flash Favored to Win 2019 Northeast Conference Tournament
- Belmont Favored Over Murray State in Ohio Valley Conference Tournament
- 2019 West Coast Conference Tournament Odds: Should You Bet Against Gonzaga?
- 2019 Summit Conference Tournament Odds: South Dakota St Heavily Favored
- Wofford Listed as Odds-On Favorite in 2019 Southern Conference Tournament
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Odds: Loyola-Chicago Favored
Let's have fun and keep it civil.