- The Cleveland Browns are 6-point favorites over the Cincinnati Bengals in the Week 2 Thursday Night Football matchup
- TNF betting record: 0-0-1
- The Bengals are 9-2 against the spread in their last 11 games against Cleveland
This is just how everyone imagined the Week 2 Battle of Ohio would assemble – with both the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals searching for their first victory of the NFL season.
The Bengals visit Cleveland in this Thursday Night Football matchup at FirstEnergy Stadium (8:20 pm ET kickoff). The forecast is for clear skies and a 16 mph wind with a game-time temperature of 60 degrees.
Cleveland is listed as the six-point chalk in the Bengals vs Browns odds.
Cincinnati Bengals vs Cleveland Browns Odds
|Cincinnati Bengals||+215||+6 (-110)||O 43.5 (-110)|
|Cleveland Browns||-250||-6 (-110)||U 43.5 (-110)|
Odds taken Sept. 16th
The Baltimore Ravens crushed the Browns 38-6 in Week 1. The Bengals lost 16-13 to the Los Angeles Chargers when kicker Randy Bullock suffered a calf injury while missing a potential game-tying field goal.
The line has shortened just a smidge in favor of the Bengals. Cincinnati was +7 in the opening line.
The Bengals ended a three-game losing streak against the Browns with a 33-23 win Dec. 29 . That game was played at Cincinnati’s Paul Brown Stadium.
The Bengals have lost two in a row at FirstEnergy stadium but Cincinnati is 4-2 straight in its last six trips to Cleveland. The Bengals are 5-1 against the spread in their last six road games against the Browns.
Can I be a Browns fan and be a Joe Burrow fan? Not a bengals fan, cause yuck.. but just rooting for him can’t be that bad right?
— Larry Nance Jr (@Larrydn22) September 13, 2020
Overall, the Bengals are 9-2 against the spread in their last 11 games against Cleveland. But they’re also 0-12 straight up in their last 12 road games.
The total has gone over in four of the last five Bengals-Browns meetings. The total has also gone over in four of the last five games in which the Browns were favored to win.
#1 QB vs #1 QB
It’ll be 2018 first overall draft pick Baker Mayfield at the helm of the Browns, while 2020 #1 overall choice Joe Burrow makes his second NFL start under center for the Bengals.
This will already be the fifth game in Mayfield’s three-season NFL career in which he squares off against another quarterback who was chosen first overall in the NFL Draft. Thus far, he’s 1-3 in these matchups.
PFF Grade from Clean Pocket in W1:
🔸 Burrow 81.9 (10th)
🔸 Mayfield 59.7 (28th) pic.twitter.com/lS6Rg8Fi1p
— PFF (@PFF) September 16, 2020
Last season, Mayfield lost 20-13 to Jared Goff (2016) and the Los Angeles Rams. He was also beaten 38-24 by Kyler Murray (2019) and the Arizona Cardinals.
In 2018, Mayfield lost 26-23 in overtime to Jameis Winston (2015) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
However, he did lead the Browns to a 26-20 win over Cam Newton (2009) and the Carolina Panthers.
Can He Kick?
The Bengals claimed kicker Austin Siebert on waivers when the Browns cut him. If he plays Thursday, he’ll be the eighth player to suit up for the Browns and Bengals during the same season.
The odds that Austin Siebert kicks a game-winning FG against the Browns are probably no better than 80%. The other 20% is the Browns are already losing so he doesn't have to kick.
— TK 🍺 ⚾️ ✱ 🛥 (@andrade21) September 15, 2020
However, the Bengals indicated that Bullock has recovered from his injury. He’s been taking part in full practices all week long. Cleveland signed former Chicago Bears kicker Cody Parkey (of double-doink fame) to replace Siebert.
Cincinnati did lose starting right guard Xavier Su’a-Filo to an ankle injury.
Three Browns starting offensive linemen are questionable to play vs. the Bengals: LT Jedrick Willis, Jr., RT Jack Conklin and C JC Tretter. Same goes for WR Jarvis Landry and DE Olivier Vernon.
CB Greedy Williams, CB Kevin Johnson and LB Mack Wilson have all been ruled out.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) September 16, 2020
The Browns report three starting offensive linemen – tackles Jedrick Willis and Jack Conklin and center JC Tretter – as well as receiver Jarvis Landry and defensive end Olivier Vernon as questionable.
Linebacker Mack Wilson and cornerback Greedy Williams are two Browns starters who are out.
Who Wins Ohio?
Forget about Joe Biden and Donald Trump. This is the real battle for Ohio that people in the state care about.
— Charley Casserly (@CharleyCasserly) September 16, 2020
Put a unit each on the Browns in the moneyline, the Bengals at +6 and play the over.
Best Bet: Cincinnati Bengals +6 (-110).
Let's have fun and keep it civil.