The ubiquitous, youthful screaming you’re hearing this summer isn’t coming from the beach, the community pool, or a roller coaster.
It’s coming from my basement. 😐
Joking! That high-pitched shrieking is coming from kids excited about this year’s Teen Choice Awards, which air Aug. 16 on FOX.
The 2015 nominees are littered with the teeniest of teen fare: Furious 7, Pretty Little Liars, and The Vampire Diaries all received five noms. (What the stars of said shows will potentially do with five surfboards is anyone’s guess. Oops, sorry Beyonce, we mean “surfborts.”) The Avengers, Insurgent, Pitch Perfect 2, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, and Empire were next best with four nominations apiece.
While the Teen Choice Awards seems like it would be a niche show that struggles for mainstream credibility, that hasn’t been the case in recent years. The show continually attracts A-listers from television, music, film, sports, fashion, comedy, and the web eager to grab a foothold among the coveted 13-18-year-old demographic long held hostage by the Biebs.
The same is expected once again this year with guests to be announced closer to the event.
In the meantime, let’s take a look at the biggest and best categories and our predictions for the surfers-to-be!
Choice Movie: Action/Adventure (#ChoiceActionMovie)
- Furious 7
- Kingsman: The Secret Service
- San Andreas
- The Maze Runner
- Predicted Winner: San Andreas
- Why: First of all, kids love The Rock. That guy ‘grams with the best. Second, nothing encapsulates our apocalyptic world more than the special effects-laden movie showing the destruction of the Bay Area. It’s really a win-win for tweeners.
Choice Movie Actor: Action/Adventure (#ChoiceActionMovieActor)
- Ansel Elgort – Insurgent
- Dylan O’Brien – The Maze Runner
- Paul Walker – Furious 7
- Taylor Lautner – Tracers
- Theo James – Insurgent
- Vin Diesel – Furious 7
- Predicted Winner: Paul Walker – Furious 7
- Why: Teens are generally dumb, but they’re smart enough to know this might be their last chance to vote for the deceased heartthrob.
Choice Movie Actress: Action/Adventure (#ChoiceActionMovieActress)
- Alexandra Daddario – San Andreas
- Jordana Brewster – Furious 7
- Kaya Scodelario – The Maze Runner
- Maggie Grace – Taken 3
- Michelle Rodriguez – Furious 7
- Shailene Woodley – Insurgent
- Predicted Winner: Shailene Woodley – Insurgent
- Why: Insurgent is so popular with teens that many have even read the book. Teens. Reading. F’real.
Choice Movie: Sci-Fi/Fantasy (#ChoiceSciFiMovie)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Predicted Winner: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
- Why: Remember what I just said about Insurgent and teens? Well Beatrice Prior is just the poor woman’s Katniss Everdeen.
Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy (#ChoiceSciFiMovieActor)
- Robert Downey Jr. – Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Chris Hemsworth – Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Liam Hemsworth – The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
- Josh Hutcherson – The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
- George Clooney – Tomorrowland
- Channing Tatum – Jupiter Ascending
- Predicted Winner: Channing Tatum – Jupiter Ascending
- Why: Vote splitting between the two Avengers and Hunger Games stars opens the door for Tatum and Clooney. No one is saying Clooney isn’t sexy anymore, but he is 54 (20 years the senior of Tatum).
Choice TV Show: Drama (#ChoiceDramaTVShow)
- Grey’s Anatomy
- Pretty Little Liars
- The Fosters
- Predicted Winner: Empire
- Why: There’s a reason why the hip-hop soap drama has four nominations in this year’s Teen Choice Awards. “Good Enough” to win? Indeed.
Choice TV Actor: Drama (#ChoiceDramaTVActor)
- Ian Harding – Pretty Little Liars
- Jake T. Austin – The Fosters
- Jussie Smollett – Empire
- Keegan Allen – Pretty Little Liars
- Nathan Fillion – Castle
- Terrence Howard – Empire
- Predicted Winner: Jussie Smollett
- Why: Harding and Allen will split the vote from PLL fans. Young Smollett won’t have the same problem with his, ahem, older co-star Howard. (Sorry, T-Bone.)
Choice TV Actress: Drama (#ChoiceDramaTVActress)
- Hayden Panettiere – Nashville
- Kerry Washington – Scandal
- Lucy Hale – Pretty Little Liars
- Maia Mitchell – The Fosters
- Shay Mitchell – Pretty Little Liars
- Taraji P. Henson – Empire
- Predicted Winner: Lucy Hale
- Why: Teens connect with Hale’s Pretty Little Liars character, Aria Montgomery; teens love knitting.
Choice Male Artist (#ChoiceMaleArtist)
- Ed Sheeran
- Jason Derulo
- Nick Jonas
- Sam Smith
- Shawn Mendes
- Predicted Winner: Nick Jonas
- Why: Sam Smith may have cleaned up at the Grammy Awards, but history won’t repeat itself at the Teen Choice Awards where Ed Sheeran will be “Jealous” of Nick Jonas’ win.
Choice Female Artist (#ChoiceFemaleArtist)
- Ariana Grande
- Demi Lovato
- Iggy Azalea
- Selena Gomez
- Taylor Swift
- Predicted Winner: Selena Gomez
- Why: Teen girls know how much Selena Gomez has been through. While at first jealous of her relationship with the Biebs, many now feel a special kinship with their obsessions ex. They can try to cheer her up by making her a Teen Choice winner.
Choice Music Group: Male (#ChoiceMusicGroupMale)
- 5 Seconds of Summer
- Fall Out Boy
- Imagine Dragons
- Maroon 5
- One Direction
- Predicted Winner: 5 Seconds of Summer
- Why: The former One Direction openers are now bona fide superstars in their own right. Their 2015 arena tour will pay off with a Teen Choice Award.
Choice Comedian (#ChoiceComedian)
- Amy Schumer
- Ellen DeGeneres
- George Lopez
- Jimmy Fallon
- Jimmy Kimmel
- Kevin Hart
- Predicted Winner: Amy Schumer
- Why: Even though her adult material is decidedly not teen-friendly, you’re naive if you think teens are tuning into the raunchy comedian’s jokes, which ring true for all ages.
(Photo credit: JJ Duncan http://www.zimbio.com (Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo has been cropped.)