- MyBookie has odds on who will replace Alex Trebek as Jeopardy host in 2021
- Will Ferrell is a contender; presumably only if contestants don’t annoy him
- The best value on who will replace Trebek. Will the long-time host return?
After hosting the popular game show Jeopardy since 1984, Alex Trebek is set to potentially hang up the cleats on an illustrious career in 2020.
MyBookie has already set a line on who will fill the big shoes of the five-time Emmy award-winner as best Game Show host.
The name that garners the most attention is none other than Will Ferrell, he of the hilarious “Celebrity Jeopardy” sketches on Saturday Night Live.
Odds to Replace Alex Trebek as Jeopardy Host
|Host||Odds for who will be the next Jeopardy host at MyBookie|
|Alex Trebek Renews Contract||+750|
Will Ferrell needs to be the next host of Jeopardy
Since the 78-year-old Trebek has said there’s less than a 50% chance he stays on as host, a replacement needs to be identified.
Look no further than Will Ferrell!
One of the best all-time sketches on Saturday Night Live is with Ferrell hosting Celebrity Jeopardy and everyone driving him crazy.
“Sean Connery” in particular takes the cake as contestant to drive him furthest up the proverbial wall.
Can we just get Ferrell to host and actually have the real Sean Connery on the show making crude remarks to “Trebek” about his mother?
Will Ferrell doing Jeopardy is pure gold mamma.
— Vic Lombardi (@VicLombardi) February 16, 2015
Of course, it wasn’t just Sean Connery that had Ferrell with a bee in his bonnet. That honor was also bestowed upon Norm McDonald, aka “Turd Ferguson.”
Wouldn’t it be in the best interest of everyone to revitalize the long standing game show and get a younger audience to watch?
Can we start a petition to get Will Ferrell to host "Jeopardy" when Alex Trebek retires?
— Daniel Wexler (@WexlerRules) July 30, 2018
Of course, they’d have to pay Ferrell a pretty penny, and with other projects on the go, it sadly is unlikely that he’d actually want to do the gig, but we can all dream can’t we?
Watch “Celebrity Jeopardy” With Will Ferrell, The Funniest Part Of Last Night’s SNL Tribute (Video) >> http://t.co/zb4RLGp6sw
— TFM (@totalfratmove) February 17, 2015
Who is the best candidate to take over for Alex Trebek?
The reason Laura Coates (from CNN) and Alex Faust (LA Kings play-by-play man) are the top two favorites is because Trebek endorsed them himself.
Anderson Cooper hosted the severely underrated show “The Mole” back in the day, but I can’t see him giving up his plum job at CNN.
Ditto for the longest odds on the board: Oprah Winfrey.
Buzzy Cohen, Rick Terpstra, and Julia Collins have all had major success as contestants on the show, but none of them can even compare to the indomitable force that was Ken Jennings, who won a whopping record 74 consecutive times.
Best Bets to Host Jeopardy in 2021
- Alex Trebek renews contract (+750): It’s an unsexy pick, but this has to be the best bet given that Trebek has hosted it for so long and probably would get bored in retirement.
- Dan Patrick (+800): He already hosts Sports Jeopardy so why not get the call up to the big show?
- Ken Jennings (+1500): As mentioned, the name most synonymous with Jeopardy lore is Ken Jennings. Why not reward him for his incredible achievement and make him host?