- 12 duos tee it up at Greg Norman’s QBE Shootout on December 7th
- Past major champs not shown a lot of love this week
- See the odds for all contenders
What was once known as the crown jewel of the PGA Tour “silly season” takes place this week as ‘The Shark’ Greg Norman hosts the two-person team competition – the QBE Shootout.
A few big names are teeing it up at this event, scheduled to start Friday, December 7th, including three major champions.
The format is a three-day, 54-hole stroke play event with scramble first day, modified alternate shot in the second round, and better ball for the last day.
Odds to Win 2018 QBE Shootout
|Golfer||Odds to Win 2018 QBE Shootout at Bovada|
|Bryson DeChambeau/Kevin Na||+500|
|Cameron Champ/Kevin Kisner||+550|
|Billy Horschel/Brandt Snedeker||+650|
|Charley Hoffman/Gary Woodland||+700|
|Pat Perez/Kyle Stanley||+750|
|Charles Howell III/Luke List||+800|
|Emiliano Grillo/Graeme McDowell||+900|
|Bubba Watson/Harold Varner III||+1000|
|Tony Finau/Lexi Thompson||+1400|
|Sean O’Hair/Steve Stricker||+1400|
|Luke Donald/Andrew Landry||+2500|
|Patton Kizzire/Davis Love III||+2800|
Last year’s winning duo not given much chance to repeat
Sean O’Hair and Steve Stricker took last years title but are sporting the third-longest odds to defend their title.
Perhaps age is a factor, given that Stricker is 51, but he won last year and finished second the year before!
Maybe it’s because O’Hair has been awful in four starts this season, but it’s mildly surprising given how strong they looked last year.
Final-round fireworks from the QBE Shootout. ? pic.twitter.com/3xeGeInWwd
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) December 11, 2017
History works against them, though, as no duo has gone back-to-back at the QBE Shootout since 2004 when Jeff Sluman and Hank Kuehne got it done.
Major Champs not expected to win QBE Shootout
Bubba Watson, Graeme McDowell, and Davis Love III all tee it up this week with little expectation to win according to Bovada.
Love and McDowell haven’t done much of anything in recent memory, so that’s understandable, but it has to be pretty surprising that Bubba and his partner Harold Varner are +1000. He was seventh last year and finished fifth in the 2017 two-man Zurich Classic.
— Jack Bartlett (@JackBartlett1) December 3, 2018
Impersonations of Bubba aside, it would be a wise move to lay some cash down on the real Bubba Watson to emerge victorious as he’s capable of annihilating a golf course at any time.
Last 5 Winning Teams of QBE Shootout
|Year||QBE Shootout Winners|
|2017||Steve Stricker/Sean O’Hair|
|2016||Matt Kuchar/Harris English|
|2015||Jason Dufner/Brandt Snedeker|
|2014||Jason Day/Cameron Tringale|
|2013||Matt Kuchar/Harris English|
QBE Shootout Best Value Picks
- Charley Hoffman/Gary Woodland (+700): Both have come oh-so-close to tasting victory at this event in recent years (with different partners), so this could be the time they finally break through.
- Bubba Watson/Harold Varner III (+1000): As mentioned earlier, it seems like a no-brainer to strongly consider Bubba at these odds, but don’t sleep on Varner either – he has three top-15 finishes already in five events on tour this season.
- Tony Finau/Lexi Thompson (+1400): Finau has two second-place finishes in the young season, including just last week. His partner Lexi Thompson can one-up him, as she won just two weeks ago at the LPGA Tour Championship. Both partnered to finish in a tie for fourth at this event last year.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.