- The Northern Trust tees off Thursday, August 8th
- First leg of three-part FedEx Cup Playoff events
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
A star-studded field is teeing it up for the first of three legs for the PGA Tour’s crown jewel – the FedEx Cup, which sees a different format this year with just three tournaments in the playoffs as opposed to the customary four. In addition, the winner of the FedEx Cup at the conclusion of the Tour Championship will now earn a cool $15 million.
The Northern Trust, formerly known as the Barclays, boasts the top 125 on the season long points list with the exception of Henrik Stenson, Paul Casey and Sam Burns who opted out. The tournament is being contested at Liberty National Golf Club, which last hosted in 2013 with Adam Scott the champion.
2019 The Northern Trust Odds
|Golfer||Book 1 Odds||Book 2 Odds|
*Odds as of 08/05/19.
Webb Simpson Primed for Northern Trust Title
He might not be the sexiest name among a slew of top-tier players but there’s no denying that Webb Simpson has been on an absolute tear and is due to win for the first time this season.
Webb Simpson is the only player to finish in the top 30 of all eight majors in the past two seasons.
— Sean Martin (@PGATOURSMartin) August 4, 2019
Simpson has been dynamite, posting three runner-up finishes in his last five events, including his last two, and hasn’t finished worse than 30th in his last nine events dating back to April. The 2012 US Open & 2018 Players Champ is no worse than 19th in five of the six main “strokes gained” categories this season also, so with +2500 odds, he’s definitely worth a huge look.
Webb Simpson’s Last 5 Tournaments
|WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational||2nd|
|The Open Championship||T-30th|
|RBC Canadian Open||T-2nd|
Dustin Johnson Offering Intriguing Odds
The last two months have indicated a major slump for Dustin Johnson, at least in terms of his lofty standards, having not cracked anything better than 20th in his last five events.
Dustin Johnson mired in this slump through struggles on the greens. He's lost strokes putting in four consecutive measured events.
That's the longest stretch of negative events that I have on him dating back to at least 2016.
— Rick Gehman (@RickRunGood) August 5, 2019
However, this is DJ we’re talking about, a man so gifted the light bulb could go off at literally a second’s notice, so his odds at +1600 present pretty decent value for the 2017 champion of this tournament. Not often will you find Johnson sporting these odds, so now is a good time to have faith in the 20-time tour winner.
Last 6 The Northern Trust Champions
*Last year this tournament was contested at Liberty National Golf Club
2019 The Northern Trust Best Value Picks
- Hideki Matsuyama (+5000): Posted five top-10 finishes this season, most recently at 3M Open in July. Hasn’t been as sharp in last three events, dropping his odds to this juicy total. Top-8 in strokes gained approaching the green, tee-to-green and total strokes gained this season.
- Matt Kuchar (+5000): Two wins and two runner-up finishes on the campaign. Consistent as they come, with just one missed cut in 19 events. 54-hole co-leader on this course at 2013 Barclays & 2010 winner of this tournament.
- Matthew Wolff (+8000): 20-year old whiz kid already picked up first win last month at 3M Open. Inexperienced with this deep of a field but don’t put anything past this prodigy. Great odds for recent tour winner with huge upside.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.