- The Sentry Tournament of Champions from Kapalua Resort Plantation Course tees off Thursday, January 7th
- Two-time champion Dustin Johnson opens up as the +650 favorite over Justin Thomas and Jon Rahm
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
Following a month hiatus, the first official PGA Tour event of 2021 is at the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Hawaii. Normally the qualification requirement for this tournament is a victory in the previous season, but with the COVID-19 pandemic halting play for three months last year, winners are joined by the top-30 players who qualified for the Tour Championship as well.
Players from the United States have dominated this event, with ten champions in a row from USA, with the last international being Australian Geoff Ogilvy in 2010. Eight of the top ten players in the world are teeing it up, with the notable exceptions being Rory McIlroy and Tyrrell Hatton.
Three of the top four players on the board have captured this tournament in the last four years, with Dustin Johnson winning his second TOC in 2018, Justin Thomas earning the W in both 2017 and 2020 and Xander Schauffele taking the crown in 2019.
2021 Sentry Tournament of Champions Odds
Odds taken January 4th from DraftKings
Justin Thomas Loves Kapalua
Justin Thomas, who is the defending champion that has tasted victory here twice in the last four years, comes into this week on a high note, having won the PNC Challenge with his father the last time he played. That was an offseason start, but in his last six official tournaments, he’s posted a pair of runner-ups and nothing worse than T-12th.
— PGA TOUR Champions (@ChampionsTour) December 20, 2020
In six career times teeing it up at Kapalua, he has those two victories, a third, T-6, T-21 and T-22 finishes so it’s no surprise that he likes this venue. With not much separating himself from DJ on this track, wagering on him offers a tiny bit more value than Johnson at a place he loves.
Last Five Sentry Tournament of Champions Winners
|2020||Justin Thomas (-14) Playoff|
|2019||Xander Schauffele (-23)|
|2018||Dustin Johnson (-24)|
|2017||Justin Thomas (-22)|
|2016||Jordan Spieth (-30)|
Sentry Tournament of Champions Best Value Picks
- Patrick Reed (+1800): The 2015 champion at this event, Reed came oh-so-close to winning his second career Sentry TOC last year, losing to Justin Thomas on the third playoff hole. Also was a runner-up in 2016. In his last four tournaments, Reed has been strong, with a T-8 at the Tour Championship, T-10 at the Masters, T-13 at the US Open and T-14 at the Zozo Championship.
- Collin Morikawa (+2500): The two-time winner last season, which included the PGA Championship had a solid debut at this event last year with at T-7 result. Known to be streaky player, Morikawa’s best finish in five tourneys in the early season was T-12, but playing super well before victory wasn’t imperative last year, with him missing a cut and also being T-20 the tournaments before emerging victorious in 2020.
- Abraham Ancer (+5000): Destined to finally break through on the grandest of stages in 2021, after a pair of runner-ups at the American Express and RBC Heritage last year. Criminal he hasn’t yet won on the PGA Tour, so why can’t it happen against a field of just 42 golfers? Missed just one cut in 21 events last year, with finishes of 4, T-12, T-13 his best in the last five times teeing it up.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.