- Jhonattan Vegas leads by one entering the weekend of John Deere Classic
- One former major champion due for a victory after playing great all season
- See the updated live odds entering Saturday at the 2019 John Deere Classic
Through two rounds of the John Deere Classic, three-time PGA Tour champion Jhonattan Vegas has dusted off the cobwebs to take a one stroke lead over another previously struggling golfer Andrew Landry.
There are a slew of other competitors waiting to pounce should Vegas not be able to keep up the blistering pace with 24 golfers within five shots of his precarious lead.
Live John Deere Classic Odds After Round 2
|Golfer||Position||Score||Rounds||Odds at Bovada||Odds at BetOnline|
|Jhonattan Vegas||1st||-13||67, 62||+350||+400|
|Andrew Landry||2nd||-12||65, 65||+600||+800|
|Lucas Glover||3rd||-11||67, 64||+700||+700|
|Daniel Berger||T-4th||-10||66, 66||+1100||+1200|
|Cameron Tringale||T-4th||-10||66, 66||+1400||+1400|
|Russell Henley||T-4th||-10||64, 68||+1600||+1600|
|Harold Varner III||T-4th||-10||67, 65||+1600||+1600|
|Vaughn Taylor||T-9th||-9||65, 68||+2500||+2500|
|Brian Harman||T-11th||-8||67, 67||+2800||+2500|
|Ryan Moore||T-11th||-8||67, 67||+3300||+2800|
*Odds taken July 12th; follow the link in the table above to see all options
Top of the Board
To say that it’s a surprise that Jonny Vegas & Andrew Landry are the top two golfers after 36 holes would be an understatement – Vegas having missed four of his last six cuts and Landry with just two top-25 finishes in his last 28 tournaments.
▪️Career-best at @TPCDeereRun.
▪️Lowest round this season.
▪️Best score since 2016 @BarbasolChamp (round 2).
▪️Currently leads the field @JDCLASSIC in SG: Putting on Friday. @JhonattanVegas has a three-stroke lead in search of TOUR win no. 4⃣.#LiveUnderPar pic.twitter.com/7wfp55dWUS
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) July 12, 2019
But is it sustainable?
Vegas is first in strokes gained putting this week, but is a pedestrian 127th this season in the same category. Landry, on the other hand, has been dreadful all season and has been way off his game.
Chances are they’ll slip back to the pack, allowing someone else to seize control of the event.
Lucas Glover Long Overdue for Victory
Currently sitting in third place is 2009 US Open Champion Lucas Glover, who has put together a string of fantastic performances this season, but that victory has proven to be ever elusive.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) July 12, 2019
He’s been firing on all cylinders this week, highlighted by that albatross today. Glover has been solid all the way across the board, ranking no worse than 45th in the six main strokes gained categories on the campaign, while holding down the 35th spot on the FedEx Cup points list.
In the second round, Lucas Glover made an albatross on the par-5 10th hole @JDCLASSIC. He used a 3-iron to hole out from 255 yards. It is the second albatross at TPC Deere Run since 2000.
— PGA TOUR Communications (@PGATOURComms) July 12, 2019
He’s second in strokes gained tee-to-green through two rounds, and is primed to jump past Vegas & Landry given that he’s fourth in third-round scoring average.
While his +700 odds don’t present the best value, he’s the one to look out for entering the weekend to add to his three career PGA Tour victories.
Lucas Glover’s Best Finishes This Season
|The Honda Classic||T-4th|
|AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am||T-7th|
|Shriners Hospitals for Children Open||T-7th|
|Arnold Palmer Invitational||T-10th|
Best Live Value Picks at John Deere Classic
- Cameron Tringale (+1400): We hope you took our advice pre-tournament and wagered on Tringale, where you could’ve had him at 80-1. Fifth place two weeks ago at Rocket Mortgage Classic, 11th in strokes gained approaching the green & around the green this week.
- Brian Harman (+2800): Currently five strokes back, Harman has two top-eight finishes in his last three starts. Seventh in putting through 36 holes. Has comfort on this course, winning back in 2014.
- Collin Morikawa (+5000): Young hotshot nearly picked off his first victory last week, missing out on a playoff by one shot. Seven strokes back entering the weekend, Morikawa has posted nine of his last eleven rounds in the 60’s.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.