- Wolf Pack disappointed bettors during late-season swoon
- Nevada has a history of success against both potential quarterfinal opponents: Boise State & Colorado State
- Utah St and Fresno St represent Wolf Pack’s biggest challengers
The Nevada Wolf Pack did little to endear themselves to loyal sports bettors over the final month of the regular season. After riding a dominating 10-game win streak to the top of the Mountain West Conference standings, they seemed to ease up down the stretch, posting a pair of outright losses and covering the spread just once over their final six contests.
However, the Wolf Pack’s late-season dip in performance has failed to dent their position as strong favorites to claim their second Mountain West Tournament title in three years, with the squad sporting short -165 odds.
Odds to Win 2019 Mountain West Conference Tournament
|Team||Odds to Win 2019 MVC Tournament (Mar. 12)|
|San Diego State||+1800|
|San Jose State||+50000|
Note that the 2019 Mountain West Tournament runs from March 13-16 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, which is also were Nevada plays its home games. Advantage Wolf Pack.
2019 MW Conference Tournament Bracket
There is a large drop in quality after the top three (Nevada, Utah State, and Fresno State). Coupled with home-court advantage, this is a big part of why Nevada is such a short favorite.
The way the bracket shapes up, no. 2-seed Utah State and no. 3-seed Fresno will likely have to get past each other before reaching the MW title game.
March to Sweet Sixteen in 2018 Fueling High Expectations
Nevada (28-3, 15-3 MW) entered the current campaign with high expectations after marching to their first-ever appearance in the Sweet 16 at last year’s edition of March Madness.
The Wolf Pack started strong, opening their schedule with 14 straight victories and returning to the AP Top 25 national rankings for the first time since 2010, peaking early on at No. 5.
— RGJ.com (@rgj) March 20, 2018
The top-seeded Wolf Pack continued their strong play against conference opponents with a 10-game run that closed with six victories by lofty double-digit margins.
They look likely to maintain their dominance when they open their MWC Tournament schedule on Thursday with a quarterfinal matchup against the winner of Wednesday’s clash between No. 8 Colorado State and No. 9 Boise State.
Nevada easily disposed of the Rams earlier this season, crushing Colorado State by a combined margin of 52 points in a pair of victories. While they were lucky to escape with a narrow 72-71 win over the Broncos as 7.5-point road chalk back on January 15, the Wolf Pack have otherwise dominated Boise State with wins in six straight meetings.
Aztecs Pose Serious Threat to Nevada in Semifinals
If, as expected, Nevada advances to the semifinals at this year’s tournament, they could face a real challenge from the San Diego State Aztecs, who are pegged as an intriguing +1800 longshot.
Nevada could face a real challenge from the San Diego State Aztecs, who are pegged as an intriguing +1800 longshot.
The fourth-seeded Aztecs closed out their regular-season in disappointing fashion, losing both straight up and against the spread in three of their final four dates to finish with an 11-7 record.
However, the Aztecs overcame some early-season adversity by embarking on a critical 8-1 SU run in late January, which featured an impressive 65-57 win over the Wolf Pack as 8-point underdogs.
The commonalities in Nevada basketball's two losses this season – Nevada Sports Net https://t.co/dH2fu7hBVG
— StateStatus NV (@StateStatus_NV) February 24, 2019
Nevada would later rebound to claim a decisive 81-53 victory over SDSU in last weekend’s finale, but has otherwise been dominated by the Aztecs, falling to defeat in 11 of 14 meetings, including a crushing 90-73 loss as 2.5-point chalk in the semifinal of last year’s conference tournament.
Aggies, Bulldogs Top Candidates to Face Wolf pack in Tournament Final
Both the No. 2 Utah State (+200) and No. 3 Fresno State (+500) look to be peaking at the right time.
The Aggies have posted wins in seven straight and 14 of 15, including an 81-76 home win over Nevada as 1.5-point underdogs last week. The offense has looked the best it has all year, averaging over 79 points per game over their past 15.
— USUFans (@USUFans) March 3, 2019
The Bulldogs also enter the tournament on a high after running up the score in a 121-81 rout of San Jose State, extending their current win streak to three games.
Fresno State stunned the Aztecs with a 68-63 win to claim their lone MWC Tournament crown three years ago, and is undefeated in five March meetings with the Wolf Pack since 2003.
SBD’s NCAA conference tournament coverage:
- 2019 SWAC Tournament Odds: Texas Southern Favored
- 2019 Conference USA Tournament Odds: Southern Miss Favored
- 2019 Big 12 Conference Tournament Odds: Texas Tech Heavily Favored
- 2019 Big Sky Conference Tournament Odds: Montana Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Big Ten Conference Tournament Odds: Michigan State Favored
- 2019 AAC Tournament Odds: Houston Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Pac-12 Tournament Odds: Washington Listed as Favorite
- 2019 Big West Conference Tournament Odds: UC Irvine the Odds-On Favorite
- 2019 ACC Tournament Odds: Virginia, not Duke, Listed as Slight Favorite
- 2019 SEC Tournament Odds: Tennessee & Kentucky Favored Over LSU
- 2019 Big East Conference Tournament Odds: Villanova Favored Over Slumping Marquette
- 2019 MEAC Tournament Odds: Norfolk State Listed as Favorites
- Lipscomb Odds-On Favorite to Win NCAAM Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament
- Colgate Odds-On Favorite to Win Patriot League Tournament
- 2019 Horizon League Tournament Odds: Northern Kentucky Favored
- 2019 Big South Tournament Odds: Radford Favored
- 2019 MAAC Tournament Odds: Iona & Rider Listed as Co-Favorites
- 2019 Colonial Conference Tournament Odds: Hofstra Given Edge Over Northeastern
- Saint Francis Red Flash Favored to Win 2019 Northeast Conference Tournament
- Belmont Favored Over Murray State in Ohio Valley Conference Tournament
- 2019 West Coast Conference Tournament Odds: Should You Bet Against Gonzaga?
- 2019 Summit Conference Tournament Odds: South Dakota St Heavily Favored
- Wofford Listed as Odds-On Favorite in 2019 Southern Conference Tournament
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Odds: Loyola-Chicago Favored
Let's have fun and keep it civil.