- The PGA Tour heads to Minnesota for the second instalment of the 3M Open from July 23rd-26th
- Dustin Johnson is the slight favorite over Brooks Koepka, Tony Finau and Tommy Fleetwood
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
After Jon Rahm won this past weekend’s Memorial Tournament to ascend to #1 in the world rankings, the PGA Tour heads to Minnesota for the 3M Open – which has a very weak field as just seven of the top 50 players in the world are competing.
The event is the victim of an absolutely horrific spot on the calendar, sandwiched in between Jack’s Tournament at Muirfield Village and the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational in Memphis that’s the tuneup for the PGA Championship.
There are a few big names competing including the favored Dustin Johnson, teeing it up alongside Brooks Koepka and Tony Finau.
Matthew Wolff won the inaugural 3M Open last year in thrilling fashion, with a final hole eagle to defeat Bryson DeChambeau by one stroke, who had also eagled the 72nd hole. He returns to defend and is joined by Tommy Fleetwood, playing in his first tournament back since the hiatus.
2020 PGA Tour 3M Open Odds
|Golfer||Odds at FanDuel|
|Erik van Rooyen||+3600|
Odds taken July 22nd
Which Dustin Johnson Will Show Up?
DJ has experienced the ultimate highs and lows over the past month of Tour play. He won the Travelers Championship for his 21st PGA Tour title, but at the Memorial last week shot consecutive rounds of 80 to miss the cut by a whopping 13 strokes!
DJ won in his most recent start.
This week: 80-80. Tied for last.
— Ryan Lavner (@RyanLavnerGC) July 17, 2020
Prior to his victory, he didn’t have a result better than seventh in his previous 14 tournaments on Tour. So what DJ will show up in Minnesota? He will be making his tournament debut this week, and with the weak field sports low +1100 odds.
It goes without saying that Johnson could show up and win in his sleep, but given the odds and the dramatic uncertainty of his game, I’d be inclined to pass on him this week. However, I’d still trust him over Brooks Koepka, who is still battling a knee injury which he admitted is affecting his play at the Memorial.
Tommy Fleetwood hasn’t played professional competition since March, and Tony Finau is coming off another weekend meltdown while in contention at the Memorial – so bet them at your own risk.
2020 3M Open Best Value Picks
- Matthew Wolff (+2300): The defending champion at TPC Twin Cities nearly won his second tournament in Detroit at the Rocket Mortgage Classic earlier this month, where he finished runner-up to Bryson DeChambeau. Coming off a solid T-22nd at the Memorial Tournament.
- Henrik Norlander (+5500): Has been solid in his last four times golfing, culminating in a very strong T-6th showing at the Memorial. In three events before that was T-31, T-12, T-41. Gained strokes on the field tee-to-green in all five tournaments he’s played since the hiatus.
- Derek Ernst (+15000): Looking for a huge deep dive with potential big upside? Look no further than Ernst, who is battling his way back to the PGA Tour after winning the 2013 Wells Fargo Championship before falling off the map. Ernst has been rock solid in his last three Korn Ferry Tour events, going T-5, T-12, T-10.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.