- The PGA Tour heads to Detroit, Michigan for the Rocket Mortgage Classic from July 2nd-5th, featuring six of the top ten in the FedEx Cup Standings
- Bryson DeChambeau opens as the heavy +650 favorite over the rest of the field; Webb Simpson is +1200 after last week’s WD due to COVID-19 precautions
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
Fresh off yet another top ten finish, Bryson DeChambeau heads to Detroit Golf Club for the second iteration of the Rocket Mortgage Classic, which was won last year wire-to-wire by the relatively unknown Nate Lashley.
This tournament won’t have a stacked field like the three previous in the PGA Tour’s return, but still has some big names teeing it up.
DeChambeau, who is on a streak of six straight top-eight finishes is joined by two-time winner this season Webb Simpson as well as Patrick Reed, Hideki Matsuyama and Tyrrell Hatton as the players with the best odds to win.
Last year not a lot of the world’s best came out to play, leading to the Cinderella story in Lashley lapping the field by six strokes after shooting a blistering 25-under par winning score, so expect more low numbers in Michigan this weekend.
2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic Odds
Odds taken June 29th
DeChambeau Doing Everything But Winning
It’s becoming increasingly frustrating for Bryson DeChambeau bettors because he’s performing very well week-to-week, but is lacking the extra gear to close out a victory – as evidenced by his six straight top eight finishes.
— Bryson DeChambeau (@b_dechambeau) June 26, 2020
He will be playing this event for the first time, yet there have been no outlier stats that indicate he’s struggling in any one area, so expect him to be on the first page of the leaderboard yet again.
For those who keep betting on him to win but are denied, you might be best served wagering a top-five finish.
Bryson DeChambeau’s Last Six Events
|Charles Schwab Challenge||T-3rd|
|Arnold Palmer Invitational||4th|
Tyrrell Hatton Playing Lights Out
Englishmen Tyrrell Hatton has played in three events in 2020, winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational, finishing in a tie for sixth at the WGC-Mexico Championship and most recently settling for a T-3rd result at the RBC Heritage, where he led late before being overtaken by Webb Simpson.
— Skratch (@Skratch) March 8, 2020
Add a Turkish Airlines Open victory in his second last European Tour event, and it’s easy to see why Hatton is among the favorites this week.
Given the fact that you’re getting considerably more value for him over DeChambeau and that he’s won twice in his last five starts, the value is much stronger to select him at +1400.
2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic Best Value Picks
- Tony Finau (+2900): He’s been very pedestrian in his last five starts, never finishing better than a tie for 23rd, but at this price against an inferior field, you can do a whole lot worse. Sixth in strokes gained: around the green and eighth in SG: tee-to-green so if he can just putt halfway decently, he should be in the mix.
- Jason Day (+4500): The former world #1 has failed to meet expectations with a tie for 46th at the Travelers Championship his best result in his last five events, but at any moment his game could catch fire, and like Finau, too talented a player against a weaker field to pass up at these odds.
- Brendon Todd (+5000): 54-hole leader at the Travelers Championship, Todd’s game blows hot and cold but considering he contended into the back nine of the last tour event and that he’s won twice this season, you could do much worse than believing he can keep it going at the Rocket Mortgage Classic.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.