- The Sony Open in Hawaii from Waialae Country Club tees off Thursday, January 14th
- Webb Simpson is the +1200 favorite over 2020 PGA Champion Collin Morikawa
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
Harris English, who cashed in as a +3500 pre-tournament ticket over Joaquin Niemann in a playoff at the Sentry Tournament of Champions, heads to Honolulu for the Sony Open in Hawaii. He’s joined by major champions Webb Simpson and Collin Morikawa, who open up as the top-two players on the board.
In a bizarre trend the last six years at this tournament, it’s either a very close affair that heads to a playoff – which occurred last year when Cameron Smith emerged victorious over Brendan Steele – or it’s a blowout. In those six years, playoffs and blowouts have alternated, with the easy victories leading to nine, seven and four shot routs.
This is the first full field event in the calendar year that doesn’t boast as impressive a field as it has in recent iterations, but still has ten of the top 25 players in the world teeing it up.
2021 Sony Open Odds
Odds taken January 11th from FanDuel
Webb Simpson Nearly Won Here Last Year
Simpson came oh-so close to joining the playoff at this tournament last year, missing a make-able birdie putt on the 72nd hole, forcing him to settle for third place. That followed a T-4 finish that he posted at Waialae Country Club in 2018, part of ten times teeing it up at this event without missing a cut.
Webb Simpson's untold Tiger story 😂 pic.twitter.com/tZEcHOXcXT
— GOLFTV (@GOLFTV) March 19, 2020
In his last seven overall tournaments, Simpson has been solid, if not spectacular. His best finish is T-8 at the US Open, but his worst is T-37 at the RSM Classic. He’s coming off a T-17 at last weeks limited field at the Sentry Tournament of Champions. Though he’s had a solid track record around this course, his +1200 odds as the favorite aren’t exactly tantalizing considering his good-not-great run as of late.
Last Six Sony Open Winners
|2020||Cameron Smith (-11) Playoff|
|2019||Matt Kuchar (-22)|
|2018||Patton Kizzire (-17) Playoff|
|2017||Justin Thomas (-27)|
|2016||Fabian Gomez (-20) Playoff|
|2015||Jimmy Walker (-23)|
Sony Open Best Value Picks
- Joaquin Niemann (+2000): Coming into this event with a lot of confidence, following that runner-up at the Sentry TOC in a playoff with a final round 64. Made nine straight cuts, with T-3 and sixth place being his best two other results.
- Charles Howell III (+5000): As close to automatic as it gets at Waialae Country Club, as he’s made all 19 cuts at this tournament in his career, including ten top-10 finishes. Inside the top-10 in five of his last nine Sony Open’s, with nothing worse than T-32 and a runner-up and third place as his best during that span.
- Talor Gooch (+8000): In a field that doesn’t boast many surefire potential winners, Gooch is an intriguing darkhorse with excellent value. In two of his last four events to end 2020, he had a fourth place result and a fifth at the Houston Open and CJ Cup to knock on the door for his first PGA Tour victory. Gained 25 total shots on the field in those two tournaments, including over 15 strokes tee-to-green.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.