- The Wells Fargo Championship tees off Thursday, May 5th
- Rory McIlroy is the +800 favorite over Corey Conners
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
A week after Jon Rahm secured his seventh career PGA Tour victory as the favorite, another superstar is the favorite to win the Wells Fargo Championship. Rory McIlroy, who won this tournament last year for the third time, is back to defend his title. Like last tournament, only one top-10 player in the world is competing, and just four of the top-25.
Typically, this is played at the very challenging Quail Hollow Club, but because the course has this year’s President’s Cup, another venue is hosting. TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm, which for years hosted the Kemper Open is being used, with Francesco Molinari winning in 2018 the last time it hosted a Tour event.
With the field not as deep as some other tournaments, it means Rory is a big time favorite, and it allows other players who might find it tougher to break through a chance to secure their first PGA Tour title.
2022 Wells Fargo Championship Odds
|Si Woo Kim||+4000|
Odds as of May 2nd at DraftKings.
Keegan Bradley Dominating Strokes Gained Stats
Keegan Bradley has been knocking on the door more and more of late in his search for his fifth PGA Tour title. He was T-11th at Bay Hill, fifth at the Players Championship (where he was in contention until a poor final two holes), T-8th at the Valero and T-4th at the Zurich Classic.
Subsequently, his ‘strokes gained’ stats in the last twelve measured rounds have been outstanding.
Keegan Bradley’s Strokes Gained Stats Last Twelve Rounds
|Tee-To-Green||Total||Ball Striking||Around-The-Green||Approach||Short Game||Off-The-Tee|
His putting is at times what holds him back, but in his last five tournaments he’s gained more shots on the greens than he’s lost. With odds of +2800, you’d be getting Bradley with longer odds than the top-eight players on the board, so it’s pretty good value.
Last Five Wells Fargo Championship Winners
*There was no 2020 tournament due to COVID-19
2022 Wells Fargo Championship Best Value Picks
- Sepp Straka (+4000): The big Austrian Sepp Straka has been consistently on the first page of leaderboards for the last few months. He made the Honda Classic his first PGA Tour triumph, and has four starts of T-35th or better in the following five events. Two of those are top-10’s, including a T-3rd at the RBC Heritage, where he would’ve made a playoff if not for a 72nd hole bogey. In the last twelve rounds, he’s second in strokes gained: short game, fourth in putting and fifth in total strokes gained.
- Matt Kuchar (+5000): After toiling around for an extended period of time, Matt Kuchar has seen a career renaissance the last three times teeing it up. He tied for 16th at the Valspar, then was co-runner-up at the Valero, and T-3rd at the RBC Heritage, where he was a shot out of a playoff. Kuchar ranks first in total strokes gained and putting in the last twelve rounds.
- Kurt Kitayama (+15000): Kurt Kitayama presents an intriguing longshot bet, if even for a top-5 or top-10. In two of his last five events, he’s been phenomenal, placing third at the Honda Classic then T-2nd at last week’s Mexico Open. Sandwiched around those stellar tourneys was a T-28 and two missed cuts, so the two-time DP World Tour champion is definitely an all-or-nothing type player.