- The Rocket Mortgage Classic at Detroit Golf Club in Detroit, Michigan tees off Thursday, July 28th
- Patrick Cantlay is the betting favorite followed by Will Zalatoris
- Below, see the Rocket Mortgage Classic odds to win, plus best value bets
With just two weeks left before the start of the FedEX Cup Playoffs, a stronger than usual field will travel to Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic.
Reigning FedEX Cup champ Patrick Cantlay is the biggest name of the five top-20 players in the world that will tee it up at Detroit Golf Club, a group that also includes last week’s winner Tony Finau.
Will Zalatoris, British Open runner-up Cameron Young and two-time winner on Tour this season Max Homa are also here, looking to take the trophy away from last year’s champ Cam Davis.
2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic Odds
|Si Woo Kim||+5000|
Odds as of July 25th at DraftKings Sportsbook
The average winning score at this event in its three-year existence has been -22, while 11 of the 18 holes on the course average under par. All four Par-5’s are extremely gettable, meaning we’ll need to target elite scorers only on our betting card, beginning with Young.
Young a Statistical Darling
Another factor to weigh in this week is the importance of driving distance. Each of the last two winners (Davis and Bryson DeChambeau) have been elite off the tee players, which sets up ideally for Young as well.
Cameron Young continues to contend, and the style of venue seems irrelevant.
T2 Sanderson Farms – Jackson MS
T2 The Genesis – Los Angeles CA
T3 RBC Heritage – Hilton Head SC
T2 Wells Fargo – Potomac MD
T3 PGA Champ – Tulsa OK
2nd The Open – St. Andrews Scotland
— Greg DuCharme (@therealGFD) July 17, 2022
Over the past 50 rounds, Young’s stats are off the charts. He leads this field in strokes gained off the tee, Par-4 efficiency, approach shots within 15 feet (opportunities gained) and birdies or better.
Cameron Young’s Stats – Last 50 Rounds
|Ball Striking||Off the Tee||Opportunities Gained||Par-4 Scoring||Par-5 Scoring||Putting||Birdies or Better|
After a pair of missed cuts he racked up his fourth runner-up finish at St. Andrews this season. He also has a pair of third place results during that stretch for good measure. It’s only a matter of time before he finds the winner’s circle and this week’s stop seems like an absolutely perfect fit.
Last Three Rocket Mortgage Classic Winners
2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic Best Value Picks
- Chris Kirk (+4000): Checks all the boxes we’re looking for this week. Top-12 in the field in scoring over the past 50 rounds, and top-10 in strokes gained off the tee, approach shots within 15 feet, and ball striking. Kirk finished 12th here last year and has a pair of top-seven results in his past six starts.
- Russell Henley (+5500): Like Young he’s a statistical darling, with the only thing missing from his game being elite distance. Henley leads the field in strokes gained approach over the past 50 rounds, while ranking fifth in birdies or better and top-10 in Par-5 scoring and ball striking.
- Chris Gotterup (+10000): After a miserable opening round last week, Gotterup played the final 52 holes in 10-under par at the 3M. He ranks top-15 in the field in Par-5 scoring, ball striking and approach shots within 15 feet over the past 24 rounds, while averaging 330 yards off the tee.