2023 NHL Calder Trophy Odds Tracker
- Which rookies are expected to challenge for the Calder Trophy in 2022-2023?
- Seattle Kraken forward Matty Beniers is currently favored to win the 2023 Calder Trophy
- Track which rookies are trending up and which are trending down during the 2022-23 NHL campaign
The Calder Trophy is presented annually to the NHL rookie who is deemed to be the most proficient among first-year players. To be eligible for the Calder, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding professional season.
Seattle Kraken fans have something to cheer for this season, as their rookie Matty Beniers is the current Calder Trophy favorite. Canada online sportsbooks also have Calder Trophy odds available; the top rookie on a Canadian team this year is Edmonton’s Stuart Skinner at +1200.
We’ll be tracking the Calder Trophy odds for the NHL’s best rookies at online sportsbooks all season long. Check the graphs below to see the odds for the top NHL rookies and how they fluctuate throughout the season.
Odds for Top Calder Trophy Contenders
Calder Trophy Odds
|Matty Beniers (Kraken)||-175|
|Mason McTavish (Ducks)||+800|
|Logan Thompson (Golden Knights)||+1200|
|Cole Perfetti (Jets)||+1600|
|Stuart Skinner (Oilers)||+1600|
|Owen Power (Sabres)||+2500|
|Calen Addison (Wild)||+2500|
|Pyotr Kochetkov (Hurricanes)||+2500|
|Wyatt Johnston (Stars)||+3500|
|Kirill Marchenko (Blue Jackets)||+5000|
|Kaidan Guhle (Canadiens)||+5000|
|Kent Johnson (Blue Jackets)||+5000|
|JJ Peterka (Sabres)||+5000|
|Jake Sanderson (Senators)||+5000|
|Fabian Zetterlund (Devils)||+5000|
|Jack Quinn (Sabres)||+5000|
|Shane Pinto (Senators)||+5000|
|Noah Cates (Flyers)||+5000|
Odds as of January 25th at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- [Jan 2] Carolina Hurricanes goalie Pyotr Kochetkov has emerged as the top challenger to Beniers. The 23-year-old rookie netminder has seen his average Calder odds shorten to +280 as he’s taken over starting duties in the Canes’ crease.
- [Dec 1] Beniers’ average odds have shortened to +225 as the Seattle forward is separating himself from the pack. Beniers’ teammate, Shane Wright, has faded to +7500 after being sent down to the AHL.
- [Nov 14] Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto is gaining major traction in the Calder race. Pinto’s average Calder odds have shortened from +5000 to +875 since the start of the preseason. The 22-year-old leads all NHL rookies with eight goals.
- [Oct 16] Seattle Kraken forward Matty Beniers has emerged as the new Calder Trophy favorite in the early goings of the season. Beniers has registered one goal and three assists through Seattle’s first three games.
- [Sep 12]: Buffalo Sabres’ defenseman Owen Power and Anaheim Ducks’ forward Mason McTavish have opened as +400 co-favorites to win the 2023 Calder Trophy. Montreal Canadiens’ wingerJuraj Slafkovsky, the first overall pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, has opened at +2000.
Notable Calder Trends
- A forward has won NHL Rookie of the Year in nine of the past 12 years, although two of the past three winners have been defenseman (Cale Makar, 2020 & Moritz Seider, 2022)
- No goalie had won the Calder since Steve Mason (Columbus) in 2009; goalies often take longer to develop in the NHL than skaters.
- No team has produced back-to-back Rookie of the Year winners since the 68-69 Bruins (Bobby Orr & Derek Sanderson).
Past 10 Calder Trophy Winners
|2022||Moritz Seider (D, Red Wings)|
|2021||Kirill Kaprizov (F, Wild)|
|2020||Cale Makar (D, Avalanche)|
|2019||Elias Pettersson (F, Canucks)|
|2018||Mathew Barzal (F, Islander)|
|2017||Auston Matthews (F, Leafs)|
|2016||Artemi Panarin (F, Blackhawks)|
|2015||Aaron Ekblad (D, Panthers)|
|2014||Nathan MacKinnon (F, Avalanche)|
|2013||Jonathan Huberdeau (F, Panthers)|