2023 NHL Calder Trophy Odds Tracker
- Which rookies are expected to challenge for the Calder Trophy in 2022-2023?
- Owen Power and Mason McTavish have opened as co-favorites to win the 2023 Calder Trophy
- Track which rookies are trending up and which are trending down during the 2022-23 NHL campaign
The Calder Trophy is presented annually to the NHL rookie who is deemed to be the most proficient among first-year players. To be eligible for the Calder, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding professional season.
Buffalo sports bettors must be thrilled with the Calder Trophy market, as their prized young defenseman Owen Power has opened as a co-favorite to win this year’s award. Canada online sportsbooks also have Calder Trophy odds available; the top rookie on a Canadian team this year is Winnipeg’s Cole Perfetti at +1200.
We’ll be tracking the Calder Trophy odds for the NHL’s best rookies at online sportsbooks all season long. Check the graphs below to see the odds for the top NHL rookies and how they fluctuate throughout the season.
Odds for Top Calder Trophy Contenders
Calder Trophy Odds
|Mason McTavish (Ducks)||+400|
|Owen Power (Sabres)||+400|
|Matty Beniers (Kraken)||+550|
|Cole Perfetti (Jets)||+1200|
|Kent Johnson (Blue Jackets)||+1200|
|Marco Rossi (Wild)||+1600|
|Jake Sanderson (Senators)||+1600|
|Jack Quinn (Sabres)||1600|
|William Eklund (Sharks)||+1600|
|Shane Wright (Kraken)||+2000|
|Juraj Slafkovsky (Canadiens)||+2000|
|Thomas Bordeleau (Sharks)||+2000|
|Logan Thompson (Golden Knights)||+2000|
|Vitali Kravtsov (Rangers)||+2500|
|Nick Robertson (Maple Leafs)||+3000|
|Alexander Holtz (Devils)||+3000|
|Lukas Reichel (Blackhawks)||+4000|
|Wyatt Johnston (Stars)||+4000|
|Simon Edvinsson (Red Wings)||+4000|
|Stuart Skinner (Oilers)||+5000|
|JJ Peterka (Sabres)||+5000|
|Shane Pinto (Senators)||+5000|
|Jake Neighbours (Blues)||+5000|
|Dylan Holloway (Oilers)||+5000|
|Fabian Zetterlund (Devils)||+5000|
|Aatu Raty (Islanders)||+5000|
Odds as of September 12 at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- [Sep 12]: Buffalo Sabres’ defenseman Owen Power and Anaheim Ducks’ forward Mason McTavish have opened as +400 co-favorites to win the 2023 Calder Trophy. Montreal Canadiens’ wingerJuraj Slafkovsky, the first overall pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, has opened at +2000.
Notable Calder Trends
- A forward has won NHL Rookie of the Year in nine of the past 12 years, although two of the past three winners have been defenseman (Cale Makar, 2020 & Moritz Seider, 2022)
- No goalie had won the Calder since Steve Mason (Columbus) in 2009; goalies often take longer to develop in the NHL than skaters.
- No team has produced back-to-back Rookie of the Year winners since the 68-69 Bruins (Bobby Orr & Derek Sanderson).
Past 10 Calder Trophy Winners
|2022||Moritz Seider (D, Red Wings)|
|2021||Kirill Kaprizov (F, Wild)|
|2020||Cale Makar (D, Avalanche)|
|2019||Elias Pettersson (F, Canucks)|
|2018||Mathew Barzal (F, Islander)|
|2017||Auston Matthews (F, Leafs)|
|2016||Artemi Panarin (F, Blackhawks)|
|2015||Aaron Ekblad (D, Panthers)|
|2014||Nathan MacKinnon (F, Avalanche)|
|2013||Jonathan Huberdeau (F, Panthers)|