2020 NHL Calder Trophy Odds Tracker
- Which rookies are expected to challenge for the Calder Trophy in 2020?
- See the preseason odds for the most-hyped prospects
- Track which players trending up and which are trending down over the course of the 2019-20 NHL campaign
The 2019-20 season is, like most in recent memory, filled with promising rookies. The top-two picks in the 2019 draft (Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko) are joined by a fleet of slightly older players who have developed into blue-chip prospects (Cale Makar, Alex Texier, etc.)
In the graphs below, find the odds for all of the top rookies to capture the 2020 Calder Trophy, and track how they fluctuate over the course of the season, as players either exceed or fall short of expectations.
Odds for 2020 Calder Trophy: Top Contenders
- [Oct. 11] Some surprise here: Hughes’ odds got shorter (+230 to +200) even though he’s point-less in four games and a -3 for the winless Devils.
- [Oct. 1] No surprise here: Jack Hughes (+230) and Kaapo Kakko (+240), the #1 and #2 picks from the last draft, have opened as favorites.
Calder Trophy Odds at MyBookie
|Player||Odds at MyBookie (Oct. 11, 2019)|
|Jack Hughes (Devils)||+200|
|Kaapo Kakko (Rangers)||+205|
|Cale Makar (Avalanche)||+430|
|Alex Texier (Blue Jackets)||+750|
|Quinn Hughes (Canucks)||+1100|
|Victor Olafsson (Sabres)||+1400|
|Sam Steel (Ducks)||+1600|
|Filip Zadina (Red Wings)||+1600|
|Drake Batherson (Senators)||+1700|
|Eeli Tolvanen (Predators)||+1700|
Notable Calder Trophy Trends
- A forward has won the award in eight of the last nine years, with defenseman Aaron Ekblad (2015, Florida) the only non-forward to win
- Three of the last four winners were at least 20 years of age or older, meaning they were drafted at least one year earlier.
- No goalies has won the Calder since Steve Mason (Columbus) in 2009.
- No team has produced back-to-back Rookies of the Year since the 68-69 Bruins (Bobby Orr & Derek Sanderson). The Canucks’ Elias Pettersson won in 2019. (Bad news for Quinn Hughes?)
Looking for more NHL Awards odds?