2023 NHL Calder Trophy Odds Tracker
- Which rookies are expected to challenge for the Calder Trophy in 2022-2023?
- Seattle Kraken forward Matty Beniers is currently favored to win the 2023 Calder Trophy
- Track which rookies are trending up and which are trending down during the 2022-23 NHL campaign
The Calder Trophy is presented annually to the NHL rookie who is deemed to be the most proficient among first-year players. To be eligible for the Calder, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding professional season.
Seattle Kraken fans have something to cheer for this season, as their rookie Matty Beniers is the current Calder Trophy favorite. Canada online sportsbooks also have Calder Trophy odds available; the top rookie on a Canadian team this year is Edmonton’s Stuart Skinner at +750.
We’ll be tracking the Calder Trophy odds for the NHL’s best rookies at online sportsbooks all season long. Check the graphs below to see the odds for the top NHL rookies and how they fluctuate throughout the season.
Odds for Top Calder Trophy Contenders
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK
FIRST NHL BET ON CAESARS UP TO $1,250 + 1,000 TIER CREDITS AND 1,000 REWARD CREDITS®
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK
BET $5 ON NHL & GET $200 IN BONUS BETS!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK
FIRST BET OFFER: UP TO $1,000 PAID BACK
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK
NO SWEAT FIRST BET UP TO $1,000!
- POINTSBET SPORTSBOOK
FIVE SECOND-CHANCE BETS OF $50 EACH!
Calder Trophy Odds
|Matty Beniers (Kraken)||-650|
|Stuart Skinner (Oilers)||+750|
|Matias Maccelli (Coyotes)||+1600|
|Mason McTavish (Ducks)||+2500|
|Wyatt Johnston (Stars)||+3000|
|Owen Power (Sabres)||+3000|
|Pyotr Kochetkov (Hurricanes)||+3500|
|Kirill Marchenko (Blue Jackets)||+5000|
|Kent Johnson (Blue Jackets)||+6000|
|Calen Addison (Wild)||+7500|
|Logan Thompson (Golden Knights)||+7500|
|Kaidan Guhle (Canadiens)||+7500|
|JJ Peterka (Sabres)||+7500|
|Shane Pinto (Senators)||+7500|
|Jake Sanderson (Senators)||+7500|
|Noah Cates (Flyers)||+7500|
|Fabian Zetterlund (Sharks)||+7500|
|Cole Perfetti (Jets)||+7500|
|Jack Quinn (Sabres)||+7500|
Odds as of April 3rd at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- [Apr 1] Beniers has separated himself further from the pack, as his updated Calder odds of -650 give him 88% win probability. Arizona Coyotes’ forward Matias Maccelli has surged into the top-three with odds of +1850.
- [Mar 1] Beniers has virtually locked up the Calder Trophy, as his updated odds of -350 imply he has a 78% chance to win. The player with the next-best odds is Anaheim’s Mason McTavish at +800.
- [Feb 1] Beniers’ average odds have improved to -200 with Carolina reassigning Kochetkov to the AHL. Buffalo’s Owen Power is back in the top-five following a slow start to the season. The 6’6″ rearguard recently had a three-game goal streak.
- [Jan 2] Carolina Hurricanes goalie Pyotr Kochetkov has emerged as the top challenger to Beniers. The 23-year-old rookie netminder has seen his average Calder odds shorten to +280 as he’s taken over starting duties in the Canes’ crease.
- [Dec 1] Beniers’ average odds have shortened to +225 as the Seattle forward is separating himself from the pack. Beniers’ teammate, Shane Wright, has faded to +7500 after being sent down to the AHL.
- [Nov 14] Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto is gaining major traction in the Calder race. Pinto’s average Calder odds have shortened from +5000 to +875 since the start of the preseason. The 22-year-old leads all NHL rookies with eight goals.
- [Oct 16] Seattle Kraken forward Matty Beniers has emerged as the new Calder Trophy favorite in the early goings of the season. Beniers has registered one goal and three assists through Seattle’s first three games.
- [Sep 12]: Buffalo Sabres’ defenseman Owen Power and Anaheim Ducks’ forward Mason McTavish have opened as +400 co-favorites to win the 2023 Calder Trophy. Montreal Canadiens’ wingerJuraj Slafkovsky, the first overall pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, has opened at +2000.
from Barstool Sportsbook!
Notable Calder Trends
- A forward has won NHL Rookie of the Year in nine of the past 12 years, although two of the past three winners have been defenseman (Cale Makar, 2020 & Moritz Seider, 2022)
- No goalie had won the Calder since Steve Mason (Columbus) in 2009; goalies often take longer to develop in the NHL than skaters.
- No team has produced back-to-back Rookie of the Year winners since the 68-69 Bruins (Bobby Orr & Derek Sanderson).
Past 10 Calder Trophy Winners
|2022||Moritz Seider (D, Red Wings)|
|2021||Kirill Kaprizov (F, Wild)|
|2020||Cale Makar (D, Avalanche)|
|2019||Elias Pettersson (F, Canucks)|
|2018||Mathew Barzal (F, Islander)|
|2017||Auston Matthews (F, Leafs)|
|2016||Artemi Panarin (F, Blackhawks)|
|2015||Aaron Ekblad (D, Panthers)|
|2014||Nathan MacKinnon (F, Avalanche)|
|2013||Jonathan Huberdeau (F, Panthers)|