- Felix Cash vs Jason Welborn goes Friday, August 14th at 1:00 PM ET
- Does Cash make the second successful defense of his belt or will Welborn become the new champ?
- Check out the main card odds, my sweet science analysis, and my predictions for this event
Felix Cash and Jason Welborn will sling leather later this week for Matchroom Fight Camp. The bout emanates from the Matchroom Boxing Headquarters in Brentwood, Essex. The commonwealth middleweight championship is the prize in question for this prizefight. Cash vs Welborn is the main event attraction for this card and will broadcast via Sky Sports domestically and on DAZN for North American viewers. Felix Cash will be entering the ring as the champion but Jason Welborn will certainly be looking to usurp his throne come fight night.
Cash vs Welborn Main Card Odds
Odds taken August 10
Felix Cash’s Second Title Defense
Cash’s last outing was a win over Jack Cullen via TKO in early November of last year. This eighth round stoppage saw Felix Cash notch the first successful defense of his title to truly solidify his placement as belt-holder. 2019 saw Cash both win and defend this belt. He looks to begin his 2020 commonwealth campaign with a bang. This is a compelling bout for Cash who looks to maintain his spotless pro record as well as his hold on the 154 lb hardware.
🔥 Next up at #FightCamp 🔥
— Sky Sports Boxing (@SkySportsBoxing) August 8, 2020
Jason Welborn: Retirement to Redemption
Welborn almost has triple the pro experience that Cash does. Jason Welborn is also no stranger to championships having collected Midlands Area, British, and WBC international titles. That being said, he’s also coming off of back to back defeats. The first loss was to Jarrett Hurd with multiple super welterweight belts up for grabs. The second loss was to James Metcalf for the vacant Commonwealth super welterweight title. There’s a bit of a redemptive element for Welborn here as he looks to make good on his second bid for the commonwealth championship.
— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) August 10, 2020
Welborn was even contemplating hanging things up after his last bout. His wife convinced him to claim what both feel is “his belt” and there certainly is a cinematic quality to Jason Welborn’s narrative heading into fight night. On paper, Cash’s 66 percent knockout rate might not seem super impressive but context is key. Felix Cash has five stoppage victories in his last seven outings with back to back TKO wins. I think he adds another one to the highlight reel in a few days.
Cash vs Welborn Tale of the Tape
|Jack Cullen, Rasheed Abolaji, Stephen Danyo||Significant Wins||Tommy Langford, Marcus Morrison, Ryan Aston|
I think Cash gets the stoppage victory inside of six rounds. The former defeats the latter when Cash vs Welborn goes down.
Pick: Felix Cash (-2000)
Other Main Card Picks for Cash vs Welborn
- Shannon Courtenay vs Rachel Ball: This is a fight I see presenting some good underdog value. I think Ball gets it done via unanimous decision as she has no stoppage wins across her five pro victories. Pick: Rachel Ball (+195)
- Zelfa Barrett vs Eric Donovan: This fight marks another title bout on the card and this is for the IBF Intercontinental super featherweight title. Donavan is unbeaten as a pro but Barrett has double the pro boxing experience. I ultimately think that Barrett wins the vacant championship here via unanimous decision. Pick: Zelfa Barrett (-450)