- The 3M Open tees off Thursday, July 4th
- World No. 1 Brooks Koepka headlines a top-heavy field
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
For the second straight week the PGA Tour heads to a brand new golf tournament and venue with this week’s 3M Open outside Minnesota.
Brooks Koepka leads the pack with some big names looking to get back into the winners circle this season. There’s just two tournaments remaining before the Open Championship with a bevy of golfers teeing it up this week with traditionally next week’s John Deere Classic not well attended by world class competitors.
2019 3M Open Odds
|Who Will Win the 2019 3M Open?||Odds|
*Odds as of 07/01/19.
Hideki Matsuyama Poised for Breakthrough
Hideki Matsuyama has compiled a ton of really good tournaments this year without breaking through for victory. The five-time tour winner holds the longest active cut streak at 24, and he’s due to win again.
— ????? ?????? (@shawndrover) July 1, 2019
In addition, Matsuyama has been fantastic this season in several strokes gained categories, where he’s in the top six in total strokes gained, tee-to-green and approaching the green. If he can putt even halfway decently, expect Matsuyama to lift his first PGA Tour trophy in nearly two years.
Hideki Matsuyama’s Last 5 Tournaments
|Rocket Mortgage Classic||T-13th|
|The Memorial Tournament||6th|
|AT&T Byron Nelson||T-23rd|
Rory Sabbatini Playing Strong Golf
Rory Sabbatini has had a career rebirth, having made 13 consecutive cuts and has posted three top-6 finishes in his last five tournaments.
This could be the perfect week for his first victory since 2011, competing against a field that has some big names but lacks the depth of other big tournaments.
What a putt.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) June 1, 2019
At +3300 he doesn’t present the greatest of values but not many golfers could rack up so many high finishes of late and still have decent odds like that. He should be a safe bet to at least be a part of the conversation come Sunday.
2019 3M Open Best Value Picks
- Keegan Bradley (+4000): Two weeks ago finished in a tie for second at the Travelers Championship. Ranks fourth in strokes gained approaching the green. Gets off to hot starts, ranking seventh in first round scoring average this year.
- Sungjae Im (+4000): Six top-10’s in his rookie season. Solid across the board in all strokes gained categories. In last three starts, has a seventh place showing and a pair of T-21 results.
- Cameron Champ (+10000): Longshot with strong upside. Champ was second after two days in last week’s Rocket Mortgage Classic to break out of a mid season slump before a tough weekend. Fourth in strokes gained off the tee this season and already has a win on the campaign.