- The Safeway Open tees off Thursday, September 26th
- Much better field than recent years headlined by Justin Thomas and Patrick Cantlay
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
The third tournament in the PGA Tour’s wraparound 2019-20 season tees off in Napa Valley for the Safeway Open which has attracted a stronger field than in year’s past with three of the top ten golfers in the world competing in Justin Thomas, Patrick Cantlay and Francesco Molinari.
The new campaign has seen two golfers break through and earn their maiden PGA Tour victories, with Chile’s Joaquin Niemann taking home the title at the Greenbrier and Colombian Sebastian Munoz raising the Sanderson Farms Championship trophy.
2019 Safeway Open Odds
|Golfer||Book 1 Odds||Book 2 Odds|
*Odds as of 09/23/19. Follow the links in the table above to see all betting options.
Hard to Bet Against Justin Thomas
Sometimes you just have to bet for the favorite despite the fact that you’re not getting a ton of value in the player – but in this case, it would be fools gold to not seriously consider Justin Thomas who has been playing fantastic golf of late and has a T-8th showing in his only appearance at the Safeway Open.
Justin Thomas joined Phireside with Phil to share a story about playing with Lefty for the very first time back in 2014–and bringing the smack talk. 😂pic.twitter.com/HYXv4dwjJb
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) August 30, 2019
In his last six tournaments, Thomas hasn’t finished worse than 12th and has a victory under his belt at the BMW Championship.
Against a top heavy field that doesn’t boast incredible depth once you get past the top couple of names, Thomas is a very smart choice at the Safeway Open.
Justin Thomas’ Last Six Tournaments
|The Northern Trust||T-12th|
|WGC-Fed Ex St. Jude Invitational||T-12th|
Stay Away From Phil Mickelson
He’s without question one of the big names in the tournament and he’s had some success on this track in the last three years including a T-3rd, T-8th and T-17th finish, but do not be fooled into betting on Phil, despite his incredibly juicy and admittedly tempting +6600 odds.
— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) September 19, 2019
He is playing with Golden State Warriors legend Stephen Curry in the pro-am, so a huge order of smack talk will ensue.
Despite obviously being way better than Curry, the Warriors guard can razz Phil about how he’s mired in the worst prolonged stretch of his career, with just one top-35 finish since winning at Pebble Beach in February (T-18th at the Masters).
Amazingly, in his last 16 tournaments the results have been ghastly for Lefty – seven missed cuts with that T-18 at the Masters his lone top-40 finish since February.
Last Five Safeway Open Winners
|2014||Sang Moon Bae|
2019 Safeway Open Best Value Picks
- Sungjae Im (+2200): Will keep loving his chances to break through. Was all over him at last week’s Sanderson Farms Championship but he lost in a playoff. Due for breakthrough victory on tour.
- Brendan Steele (+8000): Incredible odds for a guy who won both the 2016 and 2017 editions of this tournament.
- Adam Long (+15000): Deep dive with big upside. The 2019 Desert Classic champion was just one stroke off the lead entering the weekend of the Greenbrier Classic two weeks ago. A pair of solid starts to the 2019-20 campaign (T-14th, T-23rd).
Let's have fun and keep it civil.